RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: pc'ing gas check boolits for 30-30

Boolit Master

pc'ing gas check boolits for 30-30

Hi guys, im in the middle of pc'ing some boolits and i have some lee c.309-170f boolits to coat. Can i pc them first then size and check them at that time? Will the pc cause problems with the fit of the check? Thx guys.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    The PC will add about .002" to the diameter. If they are tight to put on now, you will have trouble later. If they are loose, it'll be perfect. Some I check before and some after. It all depends on the size of the shank as dropped.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm....well im just trying to get some coated before i move as im not sure if i will have a place to pc later. These are my first rifle boolits and i dont have any checks as of now. A dilemma here im thinking

Boolit Mold
    I have been PC my 309-150 and 309-170. I have no problem GC after on the 150s but the 170s didnt want to seat fully. I ended up sizing and installing the GC on the 170 and then PC and resize after. YMMV with your mix. Not sure how you are loading yours but in my 30-30 the PC has performed well up to 2350 fps.

Boolit Master
    Sfauble, what is the diameter of your 170's shank? If mine are small enuff i will coat now and check later. Thx

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I alway put the GC's on after I PC 30's. I do all weights and always press them on after PC. Just to be clear, I am standing them in fender washers with NSAF over them and pushing the GC shank down into the washer to hold them in place. The area is NOT covered with any PC....bare lead. I do not BBDT 30's at all. I am after the most precision coat I can get for my 30-30 and 30-06 rifles.

But as beagle said......all depends on how your molds drop your boolits.

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    The shank should be .284
    You'll have to measure to see if yours is smaller than that or not.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Thx for the answer banger, and thx for the measurment beagle. I need to make a tray with washers so i can get it right, so for now its the 120tc's and 158rf's. Eventually i will get outfitted but theres always something you need......or want should i say lol.

Boolit Mold
    I dont have any of the 150s that are not coated but my 170s are measuring at .286 . That might explain why I couldnt put them on after coating. I will have to cast some more 150s to see what they measuring.

Boolit Buddy

Had some lee 312155 to gc and pc and I couldn't make up my mind ... so I took about 100 and pressed on the gc by hand before tumble PCing, the gc snapped on fine and didn't come off during shaking... then cooked'em...then sized in a lee push though die. Seemed to work ok. I like the idea of the pc to aid in securing the gc ...well at least , I think the pc aids in securing the gc. and I really don't want to have to run the boolets through the sizer die twice.

Crash - I've changed my method to annealing the Hornady GC with mapp torch then sizing with GC, ESPC and resize. Reason, I don't want crooked GC during handling. I've had crooked GC when installing after PC. With overcoated GC, I usually end up with 50% left in the neck, lubed most all were in the neck. With overcoated and annealed, they all stay on the base.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Popper - I've had a few GCs kinda do their own thing on me as well ....Hadn't considered annealing.....So, when annealing the GCs.... how particular do I need to be ...like a case neck proper temp particular or just change the color? Also ... Are you using a push through sizer to seat the GC?

Just one more thing to add to the list, check that your 30-30s throat will accept the added girth of the PC without deep seating (my Handi 30-30 won't.) You may need to shade the nose of a bore rider or nose size. (just sayin) hope it all works well for ya. Gp

Just put them in a pan and run the torch over them. They will change color a bit so it is obvious, I don't heat them red hot. I use Lee push through, they seam to seat easier also, don't get that hard push at the start.
    Whatever!

I GC after PC.
    I open my GC's with a forster 30 cal trim pilot and seat them in my RCBS luber using the Lyman tool.
    I run them through a lee next.
    I get MOA accuracy in my 300Blk pushing PC'ed Noe 150 spire point around 1800 fps with AA1680.