Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why so much for a 2001 Marlin?

Why so much for a 2001 Marlin?

I know it's JM marked but really...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=453860524
    Marlin 336 SS 30-30 Lever Action 336SS $1START

UNFIRED CONN CT MADE STAINLESS STEEL RIFLE IN BOX Auction # 453860524
    Please if you are the buyer or seller to see more helpful information.

This item has been Sold!

Click to view

Current Bid $2,400.00 No Reserve! Started at $1.00
    Quantity 1 # of bids 46 Bid History
    Time left Listing has Ended
    15 minute rule
    Location West Halifax, VT 05358
    Start 11/18/2014 9:33:00 PM ET (This is a 9 day auction)
    Ends On or After 11/27/2014 10:20:18 PM ET (GunBroker.com Official Time)
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Because there is presently an artificial market for Marlins. Once ALL the QC controls are worked out by Remington the prices will come down. The seller is dreaming w/ that price. It's not an 1894CB in 32 H&R. Watched one of them sell for $3k.

JM stamped Marlins will command some premium but currently they're over inflated. Marlins are workhorse guns. And contrary to what people say the CT plant turned out plenty of turds as well. Like I said, when Remington has all the QC issues worked out you will be able to buy a better rifle then the CT plant ever turned out. That's what modern machining techniques are for.

Although $2400 seems a bit out of line, a serious Marlin collector knows that the stainless 336SS was the only stainless .30-30 made in NH prior to the Remington aquisition of Marlin, and the subsequent moves of Marlin production to NYS (first) & KY that allowed significant Marlin QC issues to arise with the loss of many seasoned (former) Marlin employees.

That 336SS appears to be NIB, with the original SN'd box & papers - a real plus to a serious collector.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The seller is dreaming w/ that price.

It's not an 1894CB in 32 H&R. Watched one of them sell for $3k.
    Reading is fundimental - that's showing the winning bid of $2,400.00!

I'd think the seller is having a great time Xmas shopping now.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

A mind-boggling thing, for sure. Good example of why I don't play the collectibles game. My theory is that it's driven by gullible suckers and enterprising promoters and I don't care to be either one of them.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Probably low production numbers as stated it was built prior to the NH Ct. plant closing. Someone with deep pockets had to own it.

Boolit Master
    I am not at all surprised or even shocked. Everything else I have seen and read over the past week defies all logic, this is but a blip. Is it just me getting to be an old man or is everything bass ackwards and upside down!

Boolit Grand Master

Logic does seem to be in short supply today, suspect that is the new norm.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, the short answer is because someone wanted it just a little bit more than the guy that bid $2,300.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Good for the seller. Good for the winning bidder. ("They both got what they wanted.")

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Marlin 1894 FG 41 Magnums are over 3000$ on GB.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Because there is presently an artificial market for Marlins. Once ALL the QC controls are worked out by Remington the prices will come down. The seller is dreaming w/ that price. It's not an 1894CB in 32 H&R. Watched one of them sell for $3k.

JM stamped Marlins will command some premium but currently they're over inflated. Marlins are workhorse guns. And contrary to what people say the CT plant turned out plenty of turds as well. Like I said, when Remington has all the QC issues worked out you will be able to buy a better rifle then the CT plant ever turned out. That's what modern machining techniques are for.
    Dragon,
    I don't always agree with you, and turd is kind of a strong word... but the second JM marlin I bought had a serious QC problem with the machine work on the barrel shank's extractor seat.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...P-!&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    Marlin 1894 FG 41 Magnums are over 3000$ on GB.
    Whooly smoke !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    "I'm in the money, I'm in the money!" or how ever that song goes. 'Wholly' smokes is right. Hadn't owned a Marlin lever in 20 years then bought an as new, pre-safety 94 in 38/357 a few years ago at a gunshow for 260.00 OTD. It is OK and a fun gun to shoot, but no way-no how is it worth what this nutso "JM" Marlin market is doing right now.

I gave 1300 for an 1894c just now. I had several in the past and traded them off. For me, the reason is, I want it. I dont care about money, and I wouldnt sell the rifle I just bought for 10k, because...I want it.

I had no idea they command such a high price and it almost makes me consider selling the one I have. But I'd really miss it and they may never come back so I'm keeping it.

Much like Beanie Babies, pre-Remlin Marlins are also selling for silly money here in Australia at the moment. However I feel (no evidence for this on my part) that they are being bought by the investor/collector crowd and not the shooters.
    ars longa, vita brevis

I am a shooter. I want a high quality user. I could have went with various other guns for half or 3/4 as much, But I want a marlin. Could have gotten a remington made one. Im an odd duck though. I dont think wow this gun costs x and its not worth that. I think, man, the gun I want costs x, how can I trade around and get said gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I gave 1300 for an 1894c just now.
    Holy ****! I should dust mine off and list it. Even if I only get half as much that's still twice what paid for it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Why so much for a 2001 Marlin?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I gave 1300 for an 1894c just now.
    That's a $300-$600 premium. Obviously do what you want w/ your money. But they routinely sell for $700 on another forum. $1k is a high price and it has to be one of the Octagon barrels to get close to that cost. I understand buying a gun because you want it. But at the end of the day I still look at value. Marlin'e are over inflated and the bubble will burst.

Boolit Master
    Did the bubble ever burst of pre-64 Winchesters? No, they have gone down some from their high a few years ago, but they still command a premium over post 64 rifles. Even if the quality of Remlins catches up to old JM, the damage is already done. There will always be those, myself included, that will prefer a REAL Marlin, and so, the price will always be more than the new ones. That's just simple economics, no more JM Marlins will ever be produced. True, these are working man's rifles, and that's why lots of people like them. No ornate or showy BS, just good, honest quality.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison