RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on a good .357 lever gun?

Boolit Master

Suggestions on a good .357 lever gun?

After 40 years shooting .357 revolvers, I decided a lever gun would be a fun addition to the safe.

Primary purpose would be plinking, varmint, & maybe deer hunting. So I don't want an 1873-style action.

I was disappointed to see Marlin no longer makes the 1894 in .357.

I see lots of Rossi 92s & they seem reasonably priced. I just don't know if I can bring myself to buy a Taur,.. Taur... I can't even type it. That company named after the Ford car.

The Rossis respond well to a little slicking up. Or others have found that just shooting them a lot and some patience helps. Once slicked up or broken in they work pretty good.

Alternately go for a Winchester by Miroku. From all the accounts I've read they are fine firearms.

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Chiappa/Armi Sport. Lots of reports and even a host of personal folks I know have had trouble with them. Their guns LOOK just great. But they put all the effort into the looks and not enough into the workings.

Other than that be patient and look for a used older Marlin.

And if you're looking around for used you may also trip over an older "shooter's grade" authentic Winchester 92. Stranger things have happened. And it's not like they didn't make a heap of them. It may well be in 38-40 but that's not the end of the world. That was a pretty good cartridge and brass is reasonably available thanks to the whole cowboy shooting movement.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Super Moderator

I'd go for the Italian Uberti made 1892. I do have a Rossi M92 carbine in 38/357 and it is a fine shooter. Light and handy to carry. I also have a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt. It's a 24" octagon color cased rifle. It's a very attractive piece. They're obviously stout as they used to be chambered in 454 Casull, and while I've never loaded mine to those levels I have fired some stout Colt loads.

While the fit and finish of both of those Rossi's is fine, the Uberti versions come with walnut wood and simply have that extra little bit. I also have a Miroku/Winchester M92 in 45 Colt. I'd have to say that it looks like you'd expect one to look. I don't have a photo of my 38/357 Rossi.

The Japchester. Only issue with it is the safety on the tang. The buttstock is a REALLY nice piece of Walnut.

Speaking specifically of the 45 Colt versions, I don't know what twist the Uberti's use. The Rossi has a 32" twist while the Miroku has a 16" twist. IIRC the Rossi 357 has the standard twist. I really enjoy shooting all three. It's a tough decision to have to make!

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I have 2 of the Rossi .357s, and a Winchester 94 in .357. Between the 92 action just being smoother than the 94 with pistol rounds, and the slower rifling twist of the Rossi, I would buy another one in a heart beat. And am always on the lookout for a .44Mag Rossi, cause my .357s and .45 Colt are great.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Im on the hunt for a used Marlin 1894c myself. Got the money rounded up, just waiting for the right one to come to the block.

Boolit Master
    After posting, I read about how Remington acquired Marlin and they went to pot. Doesn't look like a new 1894
    in .357 would be any good even if they built them.

RIP to another iconic American gun brand.

Boolit Master

I have the Japanese Winchester. It is spectacular.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Marlin 1894s are still being made. Production was stopped for a few years but they are being made again. They have Ballard rifling instead of micro groove. I have one that was made right before they ceased production. There isn't a thing wrong w/ it and it's a tack driver w/ the right bullet. I would not buy w/out inspecting first but this is the case for almost all new firearms. There are plenty of JM stamped ones available. But you're going to pay $700 on the low end. If you don't mind paying you can buy one today if you wanted.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have the Rossi 38/357 lever long gun in all SST and it is a dream! Extremely accurate (one of the wife's fav long guns) and I did not really have to do anything to "spiff up" the action, as is bemoaned on here all the time. I had to look around for almost 5 months B4 I finally found the SST version at a LGS.

bangerjim

I have a Rossi 92 and I bought my wife a Marlin 94 several years ago. It's NOT a JM stamped barrel but it is a nice little rifle. It was a little rough around the edges but that slicked up over a little time. I found it new on the shelf when my local Cabela's had its grand opening. I didn't like having to fork over $600 for it.

The Rossi was REAL rough. Still is. I'm still trying to get the round count up to smooth it out.

My pride & joy is my Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .38/.357 with a 24" octagon barrel. This was my fathers gun. He passed away in Feb. and I was the one he wanted to have it. I don't shoot it that much, but man is it nice! Slicked up action and trigger from the factory. Not sure what year it was made, but it's a JM gun.

If money isn't an issue, my vote would be for the Marlin. Just my 2cents....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot has a good point about the Uberti option, I have a few of their revolvers and wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their leverguns. I'm fighting off the 357 bug myself but will someday wind up with a Rossi or Uberti someday but if I'm lucky enough to stumble across a Marlin I'll buy it. I'd rather wait until the market settles down a bit, today's prices give me a little heartburn.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

I have a Rossi 92 and got it an action job and it works well. If you have the $$$ for an Urberti, That would be a good choice. Why rule out the 1873? The Henry would be a good choice as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Buckshot has a good point about the Uberti option, I have a few of their revolvers and wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their leverguns. I'm fighting off the 357 bug myself but will someday wind up with a Rossi or Uberti someday but if I'm lucky enough to stumble across a Marlin I'll buy it. I'd rather wait until the market settles down a bit, today's prices give me a little heartburn.
    Stronger action, from what I've read at least.

I don't know that market for classic, out of production guns will ever settle down, unless the economy seriously tanks again.

BTW, what part of TX you in? I'm on the outskirts of Cowtown, almost to Parker County.

I was about to buy a Rossi when I found an older Marlin. I've shot a Rossi and it was fine. Most do require a little work to be real nice but there is a lot of good info available and it's not beyond what most people can do. Actually I've read at least one post where just cleaning the machining scraps out of the action helped a lot.

I paid about the same for a well used but nice Marlin as I could have for a hex barreled new Rossi. But the Marlins continue to go up in price. So you have to decide what you are looking for and how quick you want it. Get the Rossi about any day of the week, but the Marlin you may have to look awhile.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Rossi's, one stainless steel 20" octagonal barrel in .45 Colt and a blued finish, 24" octagonal barrel in .357

Both are fine shooters, but I find the 20" barrelled version has a better balance for off hand shooting. (Just my opinion)

ukrifleman.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post

BTW, what part of TX you in? I'm on the outskirts of Cowtown, almost to Parker County.
    I'm north and a bit east of you, southern edge of Cooke county.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess Marlin 94's aren't too bad when you compare them to Winchester and Miroku 92's.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess Marlin 94's aren't too bad when you compare them to Winchester and Miroku 92's.
    Nope, used ones are still cheaper. And the Marlin action is designed for the shorter pistol calibers.

Boolit Buddy

I have had a 16" Stainless Rossi 92 for several years. It has smoothed up a bunch just from shooting it, maybe 400 rounds down the tube sofar. When I first got it I thought I had made a mistake in going with the 16" .... It is REALLY SHORT. But after carrying it on ATV's and in Jeeps for awhile, it is positively a keeper. Really is a good all around carry everywhere little rifle .....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    I'm north and a bit east of you, southern edge of Cooke county.
    Cool. My sister lives near Sanger.