WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Trimmers? Case gauges?

Boolit Buddy

Case Trimmers? Case gauges?

I guess I will need a case trimmer for 30-30 and 45-70 cases when I load them. I have a Giraud tri way trimmer for .223 which was fairly expensive. I need to go inexpensive at this time. What suggestions do you have?

Also, how about case gauges?

Possum hollow trimmer is about the cheapest of that style...
    https://www.possumhollowproducts.com..._TRIMMERS.html

gages - Wilson has best selection -
    for handgun calibers Lyman or Dillon about same price
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone used this one it seems pretty cheap in price: http://www.opticsplanet.com/smart-re...OrderItemID%7D

I use a Wilson with used case holder. They make a new case holder which I bought thinking I'd need but can get by with just one or the other

Boolit Master

I use the World's Finest Trimmer (http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html), which I love. You chuck it in your drill, and it makes very short work of repeatably trimming your cases.

Boolit Master
    The original Lee trimmer system works. It is inexpensive and trims to the same length every time.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    The original Lee trimmer system works. It is inexpensive and trims to the same length every time.
    +1 on this suggestion. These are all I use, in conjunction with a drill press.

Boolit Master
    I happen to have a mill (have a machine shop), but a drill press works just as good. I've been using a a forster drill press setup. Trying to buy it from a friend. Don't know if they are still available, but have been using a shell holder from a lyman trimmer mounted in a steel block in the mill vice before that. I use a counterbore with a pilot to fit case neck. A couple days ago, i made some .270 cases into 7 x 57. I cut about 1/8" off 220 cases in less than an hour. (I bandsawed almost a 1/4" off first). I know most don't have the equipment I have, but like they said in basic training (If ya got 'em!)

Boolit Master
    The ordinary Forster trimmer is about the most versatile on the market.
    After you get it you need collets and pilots.
    There are only 4 collets so once you get all the collets you only need pilots.
    Then you can trim almost anything from a .22 Hornet to a .458 Lott.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

I made the forrester style drill press base using the body and collet from an old rcbs case trimmer I got in a box of parts I bought. And use a lee cutter with a shortened pilot to cut down on spindle travel. I also had to make a new stop and the original ( plastic pparts and metal screws) had to much spring to it. Mine is a piece of 1/4 X 6 x 6 for a base. The I believe a upright 1 X4 x 4 bore a hole / radious down front edge and you need a relief cut 1- 1 1/2? high and deep enoug to allow the nut and rod end to turn. To lock collet. these can be welded together or bolted mine is bolted ( no warpage to deal with and I could take apart to modify it as needed. One plus might be drilling and tapping a hole deep behind collet that clears chuck to use with a plate on spindle or a stop other than whats on the drill press. I use a Lee cutter with the pilots cut down to 1/4" long or so this saves spindle travel and allows for better motion.

Some of you guys are way creative. Me, I have to buy it so I buy Forsters. I do make my own power adapters but when I need a case trimmed, I get it done.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    The ordinary Forster trimmer is about the most versatile on the market.
    After you get it you need collets and pilots.
    There are only 4 collets so once you get all the collets you only need pilots.
    Then you can trim almost anything from a .22 Hornet to a .458 Lott.
    Some cases require a special collet to be made. 7.62x54R is one such cartridge. There are also different length bases so order accordingly. Obviously the shorter ones won't handle the long magnums. It's still a very versatile tool as you neck ream, neck turn and hollwpoint bullets w/ the appropriate adapters.

Boolit Grand Master

I used the Lyman Universal trimmer for years and the universal shell holder is a nice feature. Buy the carbide cutter when you can. The Lee case cage/cutter is cheap and works well. I use them with a cordless drill.

Boolit Master
    Compared to almost any other trimmer you can do more with less with a Forster trimmer.
    I have never needed the longer base since there are multiple holes on the collet head and cutter bearing that allows a longer spacing. I picked up a short base for it once about 15 years ago. I have never had an occaision where it was needed.
    I have never reloaded a 7.62X54R so I don't think it is much of a handicap. But I have reloaded for about 50 other rounds and the only one that I have to trim some other way is the .50-70 Govt.

Did I mention that Forsters have been in production so long that they are commonly found used in nearly new condition for $20 to $30.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Some cases require a special collet to be made. 7.62x54R is one such cartridge. There are also different length bases so order accordingly. Obviously the shorter ones won't handle the long magnums. It's still a very versatile tool as you neck ream, neck turn and hollwpoint bullets w/ the appropriate adapters.
    Last edited by EDG; 12-01-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    EDG

I ran into this situation a while back also, what to buy. I do a lot of 223 shooting and load about 1=2k rounds per month. My ar, an American Tactical, is very touch about the length of the neck of the reloaded rounds, so they need to be trimmed to exactly 1.750, I do mine to 1.748 and they work great. Got ahead of myself there, so not finding what I was looking for I made my trimmer which goes into my drill press and works great. The first ones that I made, the length is set by moving the end mill. Not real accurate and takes time to set up, so I designed a shoulder indexing precision trimmer. Aluminum body that holds a 3/8 four fluted end mill and a shell holder that is machined from 12L14 steel with a nylon insert and this screws into the body of the die and is held in place by a set screw when you get the length set where you want it. The selling point about this setup is that instead of being caliber specific, meaning only one caliber per die, this one you just replace the indexing holder for the caliber of your choice. What all this means is cost savings. I make the complete die for $95 and the indexing shoulders for $45...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005-01-06 13.15.01.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	123524

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds interesting. Do you have a web site or just more information? What cases do you make them for?

Boolit Mold
    I use the Lee trimmers ( <$10.00/cartridge) and my drill press. The cutter and pilot is chucked into the spindle. I do the same thing with the chamfer reamer. Works pretty slick, it's easy and fast.

I use a Forster with an electric screwdriver adapter. Works slick as all get out. Over a number of sessions, I have trimmed 3000 223 and 1000 308 cases.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    +2 on this.

I loathe and detest trimming brass and of all the ways I have done it the Lee system turned by an electric drill is the simplest and easiest by far.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    +2 on this.

I loathe and detest trimming brass and of all the ways I have done it the Lee system turned by an electric drill is the simplest and easiest by far.

Robert
    Winters are long and cold here in New Hampshire. The man cave gets a fair amount of use in the winter casting, loading and and brass prep.
    Maybe I am mentally ill, but I rather enjoy brass prep. I will take maybe 1000 milsurp brass at a time, and do all one step at a time on the whole bunch. First resize and deprime. Then I will swage if needed. Then I will trim on the Forster. Having the electric screwdriver adapter makes all the difference in the world. Then deburring/chamfering. Then you have 1000 prepped cases.
    The good part of doing this by hand is that you get to inspect each and every case as they are being done. Any questions? Into the scrap bucket.
    Brass prep is actually kind of relaxing. My SO calls it "man knitting".
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast