Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Update on Steve Earl’s scope rail for the Browning 1885 BPCR

Boolit Buddy

Update on Steve Earl’s scope rail for the Browning 1885 BPCR

I just updated my article on Steve’s scope rail. He’s made some changes. If you are considering mounting up to a 23” scope, regardless of brand or style of mount, on your Browning and using the factory holes, you should be interested in the article. Click on the following link:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Short_Malco...ter_BPCRs.html

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Bub
    Wayne,

This is great news and should boost sales for DZ scopes as some folks don't like to drill a bunch of extra holes in their barrels and may be holding them back from scopeing their BPCR. The going rate around here for drilling and tapping scope mount holes is $25 each. Thanks for posting this info.
    Someone once said! Never argue with a stupid person..........I reckon so!

Would the rail work for an MVA 23" scope? I assume it would.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    Would the rail work for an MVA 23" scope? I assume it would.
    Yes, it definitely will as long as you communicate the mount spacing and type of mounts to Steve. Read the updated comments on the bottom portion of the article. Keep in mind that this is a semi-custom rail, which Steve can make to fit just about any scope up to 23". Anything longer would likely need new holes drilled and tapped in the barrel.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

I'd like to use a run of the mill scope just for the sake of load development prior to a more permanent scope but, I read somewhere that was a problem so I abandoned that idea. I suppose at one time Browning made mounts for the 1885 but that was long ago.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    ColColt
    Browning did make mounts and you can still find them.
    I see them on Gun Broker from time to time.
    EDG

I've haunted ebay for some time now and haven't as yet ran across any...the search goes on.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Leopuld, Burris and Weaver have mounts for the Miroku built actions.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

From what I recall reading some time ago, those mounts will need some sort of shimming to work and there may be tilt problems. The Signature mounts may come the closest to getting it right due to the availability of the inserts or the ***-Align Offset Insert Kit.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Bub
    I have a set of mounts, Burris I believe, that will mount a 1" internal adjusted scope with 40mm objective lens. These are the signature rings with the Pro Mount inserts which are necessary to zero the scope for 100 yds. I also have a set of bases that fit the factory holes. I believe I had to use shims to get the scope within the range of verticle adjustment of the Weaver scope that I used. I uses this setup for load testing my Browning BPCR. I have since gone to the DZ Arms scope with the Posa Style mounts on this rifle. If anyone is interested in this set-up at a fair price please send me a PM.
    Someone once said! Never argue with a stupid person..........I reckon so!

TexasMac posted this about seven years ago about mounts for the Browning BPCR.

"The Browning BPCRs are drilled & tapped to mount a modern style scope. Unless you find one on ebay or being sold on one of the BPCR forums, Browning has not offered scope bases for the BPCRs since 2001 when the 1885 line was discontinued. But Weaver does have bases, which will fit the Browning BPCR and are the most economical and readily available solution. They’re listed for the Browning 1885 High Wall (octagon barrel) with the following cautionary note, “SHIMMING IS PROBABLY REQUIRED FOR PERFECT SCOPE ALIGNMENT”. Weaver base #11 (48011 – gloss black) is for the rear and base #29 (48029 – gloss black) is for the front. I confirmed the Weaver bases will fit and shimming is definitely required when using standard Weaver rings. Mounted on my .40-65 Browning, shimming totaling 0.038” was necessary under the rear base for perfect scope-to-ring alignment. Weaver style Burris Signature Rings, with synthetic pivoting inserts within a steel outer ring, will eliminate the need for shimming, assuming the scope has sufficient adjustment range to compensate for the slight tilt. Riflescopes with 30 mm tubes generally offer a wider range of adjustments than the much more common scopes with 1” (25.4 mm) tubes. Better yet, use the Burris’ Signature ***-Align Offset Insert Kit to eliminate both shimming and scope tilt".

http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic....6825c8115bf934
    NRA Patron Member