RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Check Question...on NOE .311-165 gr RD boolit

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Gas Check Question...on NOE .311-165 gr RD boolit

For the folks out there shooting the NOE .311 165 gr RD Boolit What brand are you using to fit its gas checked base?

It is a bit chubby compared to my other 30 cal boolits. I have tried gator, vulcan, vulcan special run, + another no name that I have at my bench and I just can't get that nice snap on fit I get with my other calibers. I'm having to anneal all & still tap open with a bolt head which I'm not enjoying. I have not tried Hornady yet, I guess that will be next.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

I have the same problem with the 316299 NOE bullet.... a real pain to get on.
    I have to open them up with a small ball peen hammer to get them on. I'm using
    Hornady checks.
    Denny

Banned

Hornady

this is timely .. . having the same issue with my new NOE .30cal mold, i only have hornady GCs on hand which dont fit, first time i've had this issue with any mold, otherwise its very good to work with, boolits look great and just drop from the mold first off . . i will watch this thread with interest . . . . cheers R

Boolit Man
    interested myself.

Boolit Master
    The gas check shank on the boolits from my mould average about .286"
    with my normal "30 cal. rifle" alloy of 75 % ( 50/50 COWW/Pure) to 25% Lino.

Granted I have not run this mould yet without the add'l 25% lino, but I'm thinking of trying it with just the coww/pure mix to see if it will get smaller that may solve the problem.
    I see on NOE's site the drawing for the 165 gr RD doesn't show a gas check shank dia.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

What I've been doing is to take a check and very carefully put a real small ball
    peen hammer on the check, and lightly tap it to "flair" it somewhat. Annealing
    them helps too, but what a PITA. But it works....
    Denny

Boolit Master
    I have both versions of NOE's 165 grain Ranch Dogs. Hornady checks are a snug/snap-on fit...practically perfect.
    I also use lino quite often, but in a lesser ratio. You might have less issues by reducing the antimony content (less lino) or possibly eliminating lino in favor of tin (solder). Use only as much as needed to start with (possibly as little as 1%) and work from there.
    Some here like working with only COWW/Pb.

Boolit Master
    My normal universal mix is 50% COWW / 50% Pure with an additional 2% tin.

Not sure why, when I got this mould, I started adding the lino? I think it was because I wanted to start moving up the velocity of my 30-30 and also thought the added hardness would help the 336's micro groove handle higher speeds.
    But if it going to mess with gas check seating I'm going to go back to my original alloy.
    That appears to be my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    My normal universal mix is 50% COWW / 50% Pure with an additional 2% tin.

Not sure why, when I got this mould, I started adding the lino? I think it was because I wanted to start moving up the velocity of my 30-30 and also thought the added hardness would help the 336's micro groove handle higher speeds.
    But if it going to mess with gas check seating I'm going to go back to my original alloy.
    That appears to be my problem.
    Have you tried just heat treating your normal mix to get more hardness for speed? That's what i did for the 35 whelen.

Boolit Master

I am using Hornady's for my .30 cal NOE moulds but now I just use my NOE gascheck seater to seat all my checks so I don't notice how hard they go on. Some go on well and others don't so I just started using the GC seater and I get them put on right and square.

Neal in AZ

Boolit Master

Could you post a pic of said NOE Gas check Seater?
    Denny

Here is the link to the tool. Looks interesting.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...products_id=33

Anyone else have feedback on this tool?

WashingMike

I have an older 3 cavity Noe 311-165RD, I use gator checks I got from Noe's site. In a lee push thru sizer, they will not seat if I seat and size in one stroke. I bump the nose till the GC seats then pull back from the die and size in a full stroke, seems to work so far even with powder coated bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    I have an older 3 cavity Noe 311-165RD, I use gator checks I got from Noe's site. In a lee push thru sizer, they will not seat if I seat and size in one stroke. I bump the nose till the GC seats then pull back from the die and size in a full stroke, seems to work so far even with powder coated bases.
    OK I will give this a try but I'm not hopeful: I can't seat a gator on this boolit even after annealing & opening even with a mallet. Maybe the new mould specs are different. I just got this one in July of this year

Gas Check Question...on NOE .311-165 gr RD boolit

There was a change in the ogive to allow sizing down for other calibers. This change was made by Michael and NOE follow suit with the new design. Mine will size the ogive at .310 above first driving band ever so slightly. Not sure if this affected the GC shank.

The shank spec is .283-.287. Just got my 165 rd mold and haven't cast with it yet to see where mine is at with my alloy.
    Here is a link to the drawing:

http://rs69.pbsrc.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/NOE_Bullet_Moulds_SC311-165-RF_162_gr_Sketch.jpg~320x480

And here is a link to a discussion about the new vs old rd:

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,115.0.html

Hope the links work, I have never added them in before.

I use a pair of parallel flat jaw pliers to seat my gas checks before I size if they are stubborn. Most of the problems have been PC'd bullets but I started gas checking before PCing and has been working well so far. I use mostly 338ultramag's alum checks but have used some copper in 22.
    Last edited by BaconStrips; 12-11-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
    A Closed Mouth Gathers No Toes

"When I get to heaven, Tie me to a tree,
    Else I'll get to wandering, Then you know just where I'll be"
    (Ben Rumson, Feb 19, 1924 - Aug 29, 1987)

Boolit Master
    I was having difficulty with gc's on one of NOE's 30 cal moulds. Can't remember which one now, contacted Al and he recommended his chamfer hand tool. Just a quick twist put a taper on the gc shank, then seat the gc in your normal operation.

Boolit Mold
    I'm having the same problem with a Lyman 311284 mold casting .311 and Hornady GCs. I have a clean,crisp GC base.

Will a good sharp hand case neck chamfering tool, i.e., Wilson, work or is the NOE tool needed?

Will the inevitable weight inconsistencies in hand-cutting the chamfer be an issue? I already segregate my boolits into +- .5 grain lots, and suppose the post sizing/GC weighing would resolve any problem but, as a .30 CB newbie, thought I would ask...

Boolit Grand Master

Assuming you're sizing to .310 a check made of .012 aluminum should work. I know a lot of guys use .014. But in this case that thickness will create fitment problems. I know it's not an answer most want to heat but this is why it's best to make your own checks. I have a couple 35cal pistol molds that each require different thickness checks.

NOE makes a bullet shank chamfer tool. It may or may not help in this situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast