Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top best & worst rifle scopes

Boolit Mold

Top best & worst rifle scopes

I'm looking to replace one of my rifle scopes and was wondering what everyone top 10 best and the worst rifle scope brands are.

Boolit Master
    Depends on what you want to do with them.

Best? Depends on your credit score, really.

Worst, IMO, Simmons.

What rifle, what application, and what budget?

Boolit Bub
    Your budget has alot to do with the "best" but nightforce gets my nod

Boolit Master
    DONT BE SO HARD ON SIMMONS. i HAVE 3 SIMMONS WHIT TAIL CLASSICS 6.5X20X50MM. ONE IS ON MY HEAVY BARREL 22-250 AND I CAN TAG PRAIRIE DOGS AT 600 YARDS WITH IT.

I like Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scopes and have them on most of my rifles. Low cost and high performance.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    DONT BE SO HARD ON SIMMONS. i HAVE 3 SIMMONS WHIT TAIL CLASSICS 6.5X20X50MM. ONE IS ON MY HEAVY BARREL 22-250 AND I CAN TAG PRAIRIE DOGS AT 600 YARDS WITH IT.
    Sorry. I guess I'm prejudiced due to the new Simmons scope that disintegrated after about 20 rds. of .25-06 and the pieces hit me in the face.

Dollar for dollar.... Leupold. You only buy them once and for the money I can't see that the more expensive ones are worth the money. I have many. The only problem I ever had was once and it was fixed for free. And that was because it was dropped out of a tree at about 15 feet while mounted on top of a rifle.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Boolit Master
    You should probably decide how much you want to spend and go from there.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master

Burris is not bad and a great warranty

gmsharps

Boolit Master
    I myself am a bushnell fan for day in and day out. Go with the elite series. Oh I do have others that cost 2-3x as much but they have served me no better or worse on a hunting rig.
    Dont get caught up in X's if this a deer hunting rig!
    2-7,3-9,3.-10 is plenty.
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    my top 3
    1) Leupold
    2) Burris
    3) Vortex

I have ranked those not just bases on the scope itself but the customer server to go with them.
    I have not had much experience with the higher end scopes like sworovsky or zeiss

Boolit Master

I agree with Mumblypeg. I've had excellent results with several Leupold scopes. I've tried several times to try different brands and always end up thinking I should have bought Leupold. I have not tried the upper end european scopes and I'm sure some are excellent. I've not convinced myself they are worth the extra price tag. I have tried three of the USA made Zeiss some years ago and had trouble with two of the three. Just one fellows thoughts and experiences.
    Take care,
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up a Nikon about 3 years ago for a 270 . Been very pleased with it.

Boolit Buddy

Burris second only to Leupold, IMHO. I have a 2x Burris mounted on 45-70 levergun, since 1977. POI hasn't shifted since the day I mounted it.

Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    Burris is not bad and a great warranty

gmsharps
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a shop and do some gun repair as well. If you don't have the money to buy a "good" scope---then save your pennies a bit longer and then make the purchase. I have used on my own rifles a number of different brands of scopes. At a certain price point all scope makers will provide a reasonable product. I really like European glass and the Japanese glass is good as well.
    I don't mean to be a snob but for my money I would not look at any Bushnell scope until you get to the Elite 3200 and higher level. It depends on your application of course and a 22lr up to 22-250 does not require as shock resistant a scope. I have also sold and installed Chinese made Bushnells and Barscas and in some applications they will do alright.
    When selling scopes I encourage my customers to look at the Burris,or Redfield or Leupold products.They have some less expensive offerings and also some excellent high end product. And they are American companies with good warranty service. All your better brand scopes will offer a lifetime warranty but the turn around times to get the scope back can be an issue.
    There are many expressions such as (A) Spend at least as much money on your scope as you did on your rifle, (B) You can't hit what you can't see (C) Buy the best and cry once.
    I have had budget second hand rifles and old army rifles that I have bedded and "tweeked up" for accuracy that cost very little. Take Rem. 788 for instance or an older Savage bolt rifle,they are almost always good shooters but you need decent glass with repeatable adjustments to bring out the potential in the rifle.
    An example of the differance in glass. A number of years ago I had a set of Bushnell Custom Compact binoculars. A friend of mine liked them and mentioned it to his wife who bought him a pair of Tasco brand compact binoculars the same size and power. The following Spring we were hunting groundhogs and trading shooting opportunities back and forth and I spotted a groundhog in the grass at the end of the field about 250 yards away. I told my buddy it was his turn to shoot. He looked though his Tascos and said that that was not a groundhog but just a lump of dirt or cow manure. I told him he was wrong and that it was down on all four feet eating grass. He took a look through my bino's and said wow-you are right. We both had the same power but without the ability to "crisp-up" the image---magnification without good definition is not worthwhile.
    And that is the differance between buying a better quality of glass and a lower grade. Even parrelax correction does not make poor glass into good glass. The expression of "Polishing a turd " comes to mind.

Vendor Sponsor
    Give Vortex scopes a good look. Go to a store that will let you take them outside and compare. Their guarantee is bullet proof. If Leupold is in your price range then go for it. But give Vortex a good look.

Vendor Sponsor

in order of my personal preference
    Ziess
    leupold
    Burris
    Nikon
    Vortex
    Hawkeye

Your budget and Use will determine where you jump in but the top 2 will/should give you a lifetime of service
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I havent used a lot of the really high end scopes but always stick with
    Leupold
    Vortex
    Redfield
    Those three have excellent warranties and wont break the bank.
    I have also owned a lot of nikon pro staffs and not had any problem with them at all.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Moderator Emeritus

I know the best and worst depend on your available cash....I love Leupold and have many.....I have bought a number of used Leupold scopes on Ebay and all have been great at a fraction of the new cost plus you still get the lifetime warranty.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast