WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Who's trapping?

Boolit Master

Who's trapping?

Greetings fellow trappers. Anybody laying out some steel? Hows fur prices in your areas coming along? Lets hear some past stories. Be carefull out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    Greetings fellow trappers. Anybody laying out some steel? Hows fur prices in your areas coming along? Lets hear some past stories. Be carefull out there.
    I am not trapping currently but marten are 150 plus here.
    Thanks
    Ivan

Number #513

Yeah I figured it out. It would not be ALASKA……... unless it was the absolutely the toughest it could be and worst possible case scenario!

I was trapping the start of Nov and the only thing that is high price is coyote all others are low due to the crash of last Dec..I pull my traps before thanksgiven because was not getting anything for some time and did not have the gas to use up with out getting any thing.Did gotten 3 coyote and 3 beaver and 15 coon and 4 rats and 1 possum and 1 skunk.I do put up all my own furs.We had a early freeze this year and the weather mess up the wildlife.I do it as a hobby anyways.I am am not trapping like I use to due to when I broke my hip and then needed a hip replacement.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    we haven't had enough cold weather for the hair to hold on the hides yet. Even if we had I haven't broken out the victor #4 double longsprings in several years. I would need to boil them before I could use them.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

I do my traps up every summer for boil and dye and wax them no matter if I will use them for the next season or not it is just me.I trap no matter what the price of fur is and put up my own fur also.I am not able to trap like i did some years ago due to my hip when I broke it and and then a hip replacement but now i st make it all work for me to be able to still do it and it get me in the woods also you never know what you will see out there or catch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I do my traps up every summer for boil and dye and wax them no matter if I will use them for the next season or not it is just me.I trap no matter what the price of fur is and put up my own fur also.I am not able to trap like i did some years ago due to my hip when I broke it and and then a hip replacement but now i st make it all work for me to be able to still do it and it get me in the woods also you never know what you will see out there or catch.
    That use to be me to a T, well without the the hip problem of course. Up untill about 3 or 4 years ago, I would drag out everything, go inspect each trap one by one. Set up the barrels and start dying and waxing everything again. Doing 20 - 30 dozen traps is not something a fellow can do in one day. The money was good most of the time, BUT, after a combination of almost cutting off a finger or two, a broken ankle, gas prices climbing, fur prices dropping, going to trapper conventions/doing demos, having to wait for checks, trying to make fur sellers happy, the wife and I decided to sell everything. Sometimes I miss it, but I think back to; Well anybody that has ever ran a trap line, long or short, put up there own fur and had to deal with fur buyers, already know what I am thinking about. Folks, have lots of fun out there on the 'line' and be very carefull. I hope your fur checks are so big you can't spend all the money in one place.

P S: trapper9260, I didn't mean anything by my comment about the hip ok. I am very sorry that something like this would happen to anyone and I hope you mend back to where you can persue your love of the 'line' without any pain ever. Our lot is getting smaller by the year as you already know. Take care.

472x1B/A no problem about the hip.You explain yourself well enough.It is something I learning to live with now since that is the way my life is now.I am not able to run a line like I use to but I am still able to find away of how to do it.The fur buyer when I sold my fur past Monday said he was wonding what had happened to me since he did not ear anything from me .He was looking forward to buy my fur.he buy all of it from me.He wish he could give me more for the work is put into it but with how fur prices are not able.But I do not do just for the money but it is something I like to do and you never know what will be seen and happened out there.You know what I mean .I been at this for years.the only time I was not was when i move to IA and when I broke my hip and got a hip replacement and got every thing settle.Jut to let you know the coon is scabe up early this year.