Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ever buy a gun that you thought you really wanted and found out, it wasnt?

Boolit Buddy
    Pistol carbines.

I wanted to shoot cheaper pistol ammo. I should have just stuck with 5.56x45 and 7.62x39.
    I have a couple 22lr's and several long-action rifles, but there is some kind of allure to pistol carbines... they whisper to me, "make me a better rifle PLEASE" and I try and try but, they're all direct blowbacks

Boolit Master
    Too bad you can't just order up a 7.63 Mauser carbine like the one the Kaiser carried because he had a withered left arm.
    The Destroyer bolt actions are another option.
    I'd been looking for a small center fire bolt action to rebarrel to 7.62X25 when I found a really nice savage 23B with perfect bore. These seem to have the receiver milled from the barrel itself so rebarreling would have been out of the question even if the bore had not been like new. The 23B in .25-20 fills any need I'd have for a centerfire in this power range. Cartridges are expensive though.
    Be nice to have a handgun in the same caliber, but revolvers with a long enough cylinder just aren't in my price range, maybe a contender one day.

Never bought it as its an m249. But those things are junk. The small parts that hold it together fall out on their own. The springs for loading the next round are held in by mild pressure and any amount of dirt and it seems to jam. Not fun. Same with a MK19, jams left and right!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I owned a Cobray M-11 9mm for a while, with a 16" barrel and detachable stock. Bought it for the coolness factor. It would jam, fail to fire, stovepipe... With the stock attached it would shoot about 10" low at 50 yards. Sometimes I think I could have tuned it up, other times I think I was smart to trade it away.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Love ALL my revolvers and long guns. NOT AR's! Never wanted one....never will. I love my Mossy 223/5.56 bolt action rifle. Shoots plenty fast enough for me. And with a 30 round mag in there, I can shoot for quite a while B4 popping another one in!

Semi auto pistols.............they're, OK if you cannot hit what you are aiming at..........in 6 shots!!!!!!! Practice leads to (almost) perfect!

My 9mm S&W really blows for accuracy and THAT is one gun I wish I did not ever buy!!!!!! Give me a 38SPL or 45LC any day.

banger

In Remembrance
    I have an AR.

My real interest when it comes to rifles is singleshot guns, but I could never standoff a crew of invaders with one of those.
    One day it dawned on me that, except for Dad's 30-30, I didn't own a centerfire repeater.

So, I bought the parts to build an AR, ordered in a bit over two thousand rounds of ammo, checked the gun for operation and adjusted the sights.
    Now, it is put away in a ready condition for when the SHTF.

I don't shoot it for fun, and I do enough shooting with other peep-sighted rifles to not need much practice.

When / if my situation or politics change, I'll get rid of the AR.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

In Remembrance
    I have bought several guns over the years I knew I didn't want, just to help someone out. I have also bought a couple that I just didn't like once I got them. One was a charter arms ar7 survival type 22 that would float. I thought it would be the berries for a boat gun, and there was nothing particularly wrong with it, but just didn't like it.

Boolit Buddy
    Up here there was a lot of hype against the "T97" or Type-97 (not the 1897) so I wanted to hate it for myself. I went and bought one, and loved it! Simple battle rifle type design, easy to break down without tools. Bullpup configuration, STANAG mag-well. Meant to be kept simple like the SKS. Fun little rifle. A little shorter than an M4. Has never jammed on me, and dispenses 5.56 like a beast.

Oh wait, you guys aren't allowed to own those, are you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 76.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    Oh wait, you guys aren't allowed to own those, are you?
    Type 97 bullpup - hmm
    Friends own Bushmaster bullpup, AUG's, Tavor's - can't recall Type 97

Ah, China special's - nope we have been cut off by are fearless leaders from getting them - sort of like your RCMP did to you - good of them to let them back into Canukistan.
    Last edited by Artful; 11-28-2014 at 03:11 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Type 97 bullpup - hmm
    Friends own Bushmaster bullpup, AUG's, Tavor's - can't recall Type 97
    There isn't much on youtube about them. The pic I linked has the 1913 upper instead of a carry handle, with the iron sights cut off. It's an export model, based on the chi-com QBZ-95B rifle.

ADMIN

Several......
    Built a FAL - really nice rifle. I just didn't like the recoil
    Built a G3 - thought recoil might be different but it wasn't.
    Bought a norinco Uzi, it was heavy.
    Bought a mac-11 9mm - lots of fun to shot but wasn't practical.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by gew98 View Post
    Thought the HK91 was the shiznit so I got one back in the 80's. Hated it from the get go after bringing it home...loathed it. 3 years ago I found myself buying a heavy barreled PTR91 with all kinds of accessories and went through all the hate again and got rid of it in short order. I won't own one ever again !.
    Man, I love my HK-91. Just hate trying to find the brass that got thrown into the next county. This gun definitely needs a brass catcher lol

Moderator Emeritus

Simple fix, or send it back, Hi Point fixes it for free and sends back a free extra mag for your troubles. No matter what lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    i never have...but my brother bought a hi-point .40 cal auto.

EVERYTIME it fired (when it did) the magazine puked out on the ground!

Banned

I've dodged several, never spent cash on something I didn't like.

Kahr Arms .40. Top heavy, near impossible to control, not much to hang on to. Friend who had it traded it shortly.
    S&W Scandium Airlite .38 +P. Kicks like heck. Might as well own a stainless J-frame and shoot full-house loads, more comfy and not that much heavier.
    Glock. Good guns. Possibly great guns. Shot them a bunch in all sorts of configurations and calibers. HATED them all (lifelong 1911 shooter, I'm not going to relearn muscle memory so they point on target for ANY plastic pistol).
    SKS. Busted my lip and nose first trigger pull. Couldn't hit the side of a barn. PITA to reload.
    AR-anything. Fine guns, know how to shoot them, actually pretty proficient with one, but I have no use for any. If a Winchester 1300 riot gun or Marlin 336 won't take care of any problem that may arise at my house, I'm gonna be dead anyway.
    British Enfield. I just don't like them.
    The .44 Magnum. Until Ruger starts making the Deerslayer again, I won't own anything chambered in that caliber. .45 Colt and .357/.38 for me, please.

I suppose I've been fortunate to get a little experience with everything I thought I MIGHT want before buying into it. Most of what I have I got because I got to shoot one and DUG it.

I'm enjoying single-shot rifles/carbines and revolvers more and more these days.

Gear

I have about 40 guns and don't have any I don't like.

Perma-Banned

I find myself the older I get going to older guns. The newest gun I shoot with any regularty is my M1. I mainly shoot single shots. I have shilohs but really like shooting the original stuff like the trapdoors, highwalls and ballards.

To each there own.

Boolit Buddy
    Glock 19. I had bought a G17 for my wife, and she loves it. I started shooting it as well, and figured I wouldn't mind a G19 for a CCW....wrong. Went back to my ol' snub nose after a month or so. Sold it for what I bought it for; no skin off my nose.

On the flip side, I traded a BPC rolling block replica for a .44mag Redhawk. I fell in love with the RH to the point that it comes with me to the range no matter what...I love shooting that gun.

That trade lead me to trade a Guide Gun in .45-70 for a Winchester 1894AE in .44 magnum.

only the ones that don't shoot or jamb up every third shot
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Master
    I've had a few. It really sucks when when they were gifts from your wife and you asked her for them. Here are a couple:

Ruger SR9: Nice pistol but: Too big for CC, Striker fired which makes it hard to shoot accuratly.

Ruger 10-22 Rifle (not carbine) a Anaversary gift from you know who. Walnut stock was too long for me and I didn't have the heart to alter it.

I have looked at buying a nice target/varmint rifle but I always go back to milsurps! Walked out of the last gun show with a 1903-A3!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast