RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ever buy a gun that you thought you really wanted and found out, it wasnt?

Boolit Grand Master

Ever buy a gun that you thought you really wanted and found out, it wasnt?

Coming off an AR kick. Thought it was what I really wanted to get into. Bought the used brass, bullets, etc; bought a 308 AR and another in 223. Started shooting them, and while fun, just didn't "do it" for me. I keep coming back to my revolvers, lever guns and bolt actions. I'm not gonna sell my ARs, but don't see myself buying any more. The 308 makes an awesome plinker with some oomph behind it and can be put into service as a hog gun/deer gun/tacticool gun if need be (Sig 716). But I'm not gonna fight a war, whatever civil unrest that will occur near me can easily be taken care of unless I'm completely bombarded by a small platoon and I don't shoot competition.

I guess I just like the slower pace of the wheelguns, lever and bolt guns.

Anyone else buy buy something or get into a "gun genre" and find out it just wasn't for them?

Yeah. I bought a brand new S&W Model 59 back around 1980 or so, thought it was gonna be awesome. We hated each other. Shoulda got a 39.

In Remembrance
    That's 1 thing I've never done (Yet) in my life. Generally what I'll do is try before I buy. By that I'll borrow someone elses when possible and use it a bit to see if I truly like it or if it's just desire. Every 1 I have I thought long and hard on, probably because $ doesn't grow on trees ( I wish it did). My next rifle is going to be a 222Rem though, I sold the 10/22 a couple of years ago and miss the lower powered small projectile rifle. Around here the ole ranch rifle is almost a necessity and I can make my own brass, have the moulds, and projectiles. Getting recipes for the mouse phart loads is no problem. But I'm not keen on paying full price for a new 1 (Who is) so I'm holding out for a used 1 which I seem to miss.

But I'm not the kind of person that goes by looks either, I've seen to many things like cars that although look pristine, can't make it around the block while the ole beat up vehicle can get you from 1 end of the country to the other without burning a drop of oil,

I would want to bring the thing home, slug the barrel and chamber, and go through it with a fine tooth comb.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

I have an AR. I had no interest in one and knew that when I built it. I built it just because I could. I don't regret it one bit.

Moderator Emeritus

Built my first and knew it was just a bang bang one. Have two other lowers that I am looking at for a 6.5 Grendel and a 458 Socom beast. Someday if I can find the right deal...

Boolit Master
    yes, Ruger LCR 357 mag.
    ph4570

Perma-Banned

Yes...a Glock and a Ruger 44 carbine.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 01-20-2016 at 12:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Can't say that has ever happened to me.
    Generally know what I want before I buy...do my research and study the ballistics of any new cartridge.
    Having said that, I will admit to more than a couple of impulse buys over the last several decades. Best one was a Richards/Mason conversion revolver...didn't even know I needed one until I held a new Cimarron in my hand one day.
    Quite happy to take it home that very same day...great little revolver.

I have bought at least one gun that I just knew I would hate...I needed a shotgun for hunting season following a divorce a quarter century ago.
    Money was very tight...so I bought a used Winchester 12ga autoloader for $140 as a cheap way to go hunting, fully intending to replace/get rid of it before the next hunting season.

A quarter century later, it is still here and still gets used regularly. It has accounted for untold numbers of squirrels, rabbits and pheasants.

I have bought other shotguns for myself and my son, yet I continue to use that old beater Winchester autoloader almost every hunting season. Not too bad for a shotgun that I really didn't even like or want.

Boolit Master
    AR-10, FN 5.7, & 10-22

AR-10 didn't like to extract in cold weather & just never felt right anyways. Sold to LGS, said the new owner loves it.
    5.7 pistol always shot patterns, never shot groups and never felt quite right either. Sold to LGS, new owner likes it.
    10-22 just plain loved to hate that thing, not really sure why. Traded it for a muzzle loader and we were both very happy with the deal.

Best advice is above try it before you buy it.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    yes, Ruger LCR 357 mag.
    Same here. Worst gun I've ever bought.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Intratec 9mm Cat. 9 Pocket Designed by Nehemiah Sirkis
    (he of kimber fame)

Double Action Only Pistol striker fired.
    Features: 3" Barrel, Overall Length 5.8".
    Matte Black Finish Slide, Black Polymer Frame with Finger Grooves.
    Push Button Magazine Release, gutter sight groove for snag free carry.

sounded so good as a EDC in the pocket gun - not so much
    kept the AMT backup single action in 380.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

A Ruger Mini-14.
    I had a hard time keeping the group size to 8'' at 100 yards. I dumped it fast, just like the previous owner.

Boolit Master

I've done it, but not with a high dollar gun. Got a bolt action .22 one time and didn't like it. I love 22s, but that gun just didn't sit with me. Never wanted an AR. Carried an M16, M16A1, M16A2 and M4 in the military, and was never impressed with them. I did buy my oldest grandson an AR about 2 years ago for Christmas. He's shot it on one outing to the range. We'll get it out and fire it sometime. Some guns just seem to fit a person, some guns just don't.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Never bought a gun that I didn't want because I want them all.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a traditionalist in that I prefer designs older than I am. Blue steel, walnut, color case hardening, etc. I have a MSR, just don't play with or talk about it much. Enjoyed shooting and occasionally competing with my patrol rifle but when I left the PD I sold it, didn't think I'd miss it but I did. Now I have a better one, may even do the AR10 thing someday soon.
    MSR's are social equipment for me. I don't much care for them but I'll feel better having one around.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

A 375 Hurt & Hurt. I've heard of being bitten by the trigger guard on a revolver, not on a bolt gun. Sierra 200gr FP and some 4759 made for clover leafs with open sights. Now it's just a big heavy "35 Remington".
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    After making the rounds thru different areas of the hobby, I have settled into single shot 45-70's. Like most, I cast and reload and keep very good records of my results. I myself, find it very accomplishing to get a load that will do what I want. I sometimes take most of the day to shoot 25 reloads. To each there own, and all phases of the hobby are good, it's just what I enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Boolit Master

I haven't gotten my 357 Handi to shoot to my standards, yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Almost. Marlin 1984C in 357. First 6 months I had the rifle I hated it. Best groups were around 6 inches at 50 yards, not acceptable. In desperation I bought a Mohec 359649 HP mould. That was the bullet the rifle was looking for.

All is good now but the rifle was close to hitting the sale rack.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Coming off an AR kick. Thought it was what I really wanted to get into. Bought the used brass, bullets, etc; bought a 308 AR and another in 223. Started shooting them, and while fun, just didn't "do it" for me. I keep coming back to my revolvers, lever guns and bolt actions. I'm not gonna sell my ARs, but don't see myself buying any more. The 308 makes an awesome plinker with some oomph behind it and can be put into service as a hog gun/deer gun/tacticool gun if need be (Sig 716). But I'm not gonna fight a war, whatever civil unrest that will occur near me can easily be taken care of unless I'm completely bombarded by a small platoon and I don't shoot competition.

I guess I just like the slower pace of the wheelguns, lever and bolt guns.

Anyone else buy buy something or get into a "gun genre" and find out it just wasn't for them?

Who? ME?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast