RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Newer 1895

Newer 1895

I stopped by my local gun shop tonight, and they had a 1895 in 38-55 with octagon barrel, and three boxes of ammo for $850. It appeared to be in excellent shape with nice wood. The shop was really busy so I didn't ask to handle it. I have no idea what these guns are running now....... I believe it is a Japanese USRA gun. How does that sound to more knowledgeable folks?

Boolit Master

Sounds to me as tho it needs further investigation.
    Was this in Kittery? Shawmut? OR?
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    I stopped by my local gun shop tonight, and they had a 1895 in 38-55 with octagon barrel, and three boxes of ammo for $850. It appeared to be in excellent shape with nice wood. The shop was really busy so I didn't ask to handle it. I have no idea what these guns are running now....... I believe it is a Japanese USRA gun. How does that sound to more knowledgeable folks?

Might of been an 1894, but would of been made in New Haven.
    The 95's have never been offered in 38-55 nor with an octagon barrel.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Hmm, It well could be a Browning since it was in the rack behind the counter, and the two owners were too busy with paperwork to get it down, and I didn't want to bug them. It is in a little gun shop "Rody's" in Newport, NH. Looks like a 24'-26" barrel. It's a reproduction Highwall action so I may have my model numbers mixed up.

Boolit Master

Hmm, It well could be a Browning since it was in the rack behind the counter, and the two owners were too busy with paperwork to get it down, and I didn't want to bug them. It is in a little gun shop "Rody's" in Newport, NH. Looks like a 24'-26" barrel. It's a reproduction Highwall action so I may have my model numbers mixed up.
    Yep, I think you do, Highwall is the 1885. Sounds like a fair price depending on condition. The big question is what are you going to do with it? I'm not familiar with these models but the twist rate can make a big difference depending on what you want to do with it.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Ok then, yup pretty good chance its one of the limited runs of the 1885's Davidsons had Winchester do. They are assembled in the miroku plant, and are really fine rifles. 850 is a pretty decent price as about as good as you can get one from a Davidsons dealer is 1200ish brand new.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I own a highwall in 45/70, it's a great rifle.

Yea, I don't know what I was thinking of. I do know that the 1895 is the lever in 30-40, 405 etc. I knew too that if I said which action it was that you guys would straighten me out!

Guess I better go out to the shop, and tinker on the guns I have. Least I know what they are. It's raining so it's a good day to tinker.

Yea, I don't know what I was thinking of. I do know that the 1895 is the lever in 30-40, 405 etc. I knew too that if I said which action it was that you guys would straighten me out!

Guess I better go out to the shop, and tinker on the guns I have. Least I know what they are. It's raining so it's a good day to tinker.
    Rainy days are SOP for evil black rifle practice. Good practical training

Long ago, and far away, I did a lot of rainy day things with guns....... mine was brown, longer, and a bit heavier. I still manage to mess up the finish on at least one gun in the fall / winter each year though. Now I'm doing the chemotherapy thing, so these rainy days are slower. Cases are tumbling, bores are soaking, and one trigger is better though so it has been a good afternoon so far.

I have an 1885 .38-55 from Davidsons. It is a bell ringer! 1:18 twist handles 300 gr Seaco #571 cast at 1500 fps nicely. Issue Marbles sights are OK but I put a long range tang sight and a globe front on and managed to hit the buffalo target at Quigley 50% of the time this year in spite of a heavy crosswind and failing light.
    Dusty

Good to hear Dusty! What does your bore slug at, and how is it matched up with chamber size? I tried an H&R but the chamber was quite a bit smaller than the bore which caused issues. Nice keyholes though.