Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Day - Scout Rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Good Day - Scout Rifle

My friend Jason wanted to shoot at the range today, so we went after lunch and had a good day.

While we were there I shot my Turkish, 8 X 57 mm Scout Rifle. The rifle now wears a 2 X Tasco Japanese World Class pistol scope ( Super clear, vivid, sharp optics in this one ).

I was shooting my favorite load of 12.3 grs. of Alliant Unique , with the IDEAL, 323471, sized to .325 ". The bullet has my own .014 " thick AL gas checks.

I couldn't be happier with my rifle.

I fired the 1st 5 rounds in the group below :

Then Jason shot a group with 8 rounds :

After the above photos were taken, I had the bolt bent. Oh, did I say that I like my rifle very much ! ( By the way, I paid $60 for the rifle about 12 years ago )

Last edited by Ben; 11-26-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Ben;3023016]

[QUOTE]

...or your bullets, lube, gas checks, load development, shooting skill....

Nice work! I hope I can get there some day.

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=KLR;3023089][QUOTE=Ben;3023016]

...or your bullets, lube, gas checks, load development, shooting skill....

Nice work! I hope I can get there some day.
    Thanks, but this rifle can make almost anyone look good.

Ben

Ben,

Looks great. Nice touch to the rifle. Bent bolt (heated up and forged) or a new one welded on?
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Grand Master
    Uber7mm

The straight handle was heated, lengthened, and turned and shaped.

My gunsmith in Golden , CO does all that kind of work for me. ( He is GOOD ! )

I glass bed and do stock work / finishing / re-finishing , but no metal work.
    Last edited by Ben; 11-26-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    SWEEEET deal, Sweet rifle, sweet load & shooting.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

Hey! That Jason is a pretty good shot.

OK: You too.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow. Fantastic. Rifle - ammo - boolit - and shooting skills.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jason has come a long way in the past 2 - 3 years with his shooting skills.
    He can hold his own with just about anyone !

Ben

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Very nice! Beautiful rifle and some great shooting!

Have a question . . . may seem dumb but I'll ask it anyway. You obviously have your "sweet load" down and everything clicking right.

I'm shooting a 130 gr NOE PB bullet out of my 8 X 56 1905 Danzig GEW98. I've just started to play with this rifle and am only interested in shooting cat sneeze loads. The bore is .323 and I sized my boolits to that for my first loadings. I've tried Bulls Eye, Unique and Red Dot - so far, my best load is with the Red Dot - 8 gr - at 50 yards, it's very close to the bulls eye and the group is about 1 3/4" with just the military sights. All I'm doing is tumble lubing with alox/paste wax - no leading problems, etc. Now for my question - I clean the rifle each time after shooting and what I am discovering is that the first shot out is usually a "flier" - after that, they group fine. So my question is . . . on the milsurp like the 8 X 57, is it common for the first shot to be a "fouling shot" with a "flier" and then the tighter groups after that?

Since my first load experiments, I've picked up a Lyman M die and will next try "as cast" as they fall at around .325 which should work better. It's been too cold to shoot but the next time I do, I'm going to up my Red Dpt charge to 9 gr and see if I can raise the POI a little as I'm hitting about an inch and a half low of the dead center of the bull with the military sights all the way down.

The rifle has a lot of sentimental value to me - brought back by a WWI vet that I knew as a kid so I don't really want to do any changes to it. This is my first reloading for bottle-neck rifle cartridges and I'm having so much fun that I am keeping my eyes out for a 8 X 57 that someone has bubbasized so I can do a little customizing on it and not feel bad about altering it. Your rifle is kind of what I have in mind and with the old eyes, I'm thinning a scope on one would make it a lot more easy.

Thanks for any advice/help in regards to my "first shot flier" on a clean bore.

Boolit Grand Master
    I clean the rifle each time after shooting and what I am discovering is that the first shot out is usually a "flier" - after that, they group fine. So my question is . . . on the milsurp like the 8 X 57, is it common for the first shot to be a "fouling shot" with a "flier" and then the tighter groups after that?

I've never seen a rifle that didn't " throw " the 1st shot wild with a super clean barrel.

Often , it will take 4 - 5 rounds for the rifle to settle down and begin shooting everything into 1 group.

I'm thinning a scope on one would make it a lot more easy.

I'm 65 yrs. old now, those Mauser sights are getting harder and harder to see. These crosshairs in the scope are MUCH better for me now.

Ben

Great story and pictures Ben.

Was there any glass and bedding work done with this particular rifle?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    WILCO :

Yes, it is glass bedded with a 1.5 " long pad for the barrel to sit on directly in front of the receiver.( Glass ends at the end of the 1st step contour ) The remainder of the barrel is free floated.

The rear sight sleeve has been removed and the Weaver scope base mounted LOW directly to the barrel.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.............Same procedure a 2nd time.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 11-27-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Master
    Nice job on the conversion Ben. What number weaver scope base did you use on the rifle?

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Ben;3023171][QUOTE=KLR;3023089]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Thanks, but this rifle can make almost anyone look good.

Ben
    I would probably be the "almost" referred to above! Please send rifle for testing.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Nice job on the conversion Ben. What number weaver scope base did you use on the rifle?
    92-A ( Same one that fits T/C Contender barrels )

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147...ProductFinding

The underside of the base was degreased along with the barrel. Both were " roughed up " with a dremel.

Degreased a 2nd time, then.......I used JB Weld ( slow curing ) on the 4 scope base screws and a film on the barrel and the underside of the scope base.

Once the base was put on tight , I cleaned up any excess that came out with solvent. The scope base has not moved a millionth of a micron since it was installed.

This one won't be coming off , it is on PERMANENT !
    Last edited by Ben; 11-27-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks Ben - appreciate the information. Even after putting a number of rounds through mine, the bore is clean (i.e. no leading, no fouling, etc.) so I decided the last time I shot, I wouldn't clean the bore just to see the next time what my hits would be like.

I've shot muzzleloaders for years and am quite familiar with the need for a "fouling shot" (at least in the BP rifles I have) but just wasn't sure how these milsurp rifles reacted as far as that goes. The odd thing is that the first shot was a flier and everyone after that ended up being good (no credit to myself as my sight isn't the greatest). I'm guessing that if she shoots good after one shot to foul, then I'm lucky!

Thanks again . . . I keep drooling over your rifle . . . certainly a nice one! Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Thanks Ben - appreciate the information. Even after putting a number of rounds through mine, the bore is clean (i.e. no leading, no fouling, etc.) so I decided the last time I shot, I wouldn't clean the bore just to see the next time what my hits would be like.

I've shot muzzleloaders for years and am quite familiar with the need for a "fouling shot" (at least in the BP rifles I have) but just wasn't sure how these milsurp rifles reacted as far as that goes. The odd thing is that the first shot was a flier and everyone after that ended up being good (no credit to myself as my sight isn't the greatest). I'm guessing that if she shoots good after one shot to foul, then I'm lucky!

Thanks again . . . I keep drooling over your rifle . . . certainly a nice one! Thanks!
    You're generous with your remarks. Thanks.

My hunting rifles that I shoot cast ( or jacketed ) out of are never cleaned during hunting season.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Just my PO, but have not seen one of the Turks that were not good shooters. The troops must have been thoroughly trained in keeping the bores cleaned for all I have seen were in very good to excellent.

Boolit Grand Master
    Best $60 rifle that I'll ever own ! !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast