Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Not really a question... more of a senario

Not really a question... more of a senario

In my tenure on this forum I've been most impressed with the knowledge and capabilities of members and consider myself lucky to be part of it.

What I'm dreaming about is a bolt action .32 H&R mag rifle. In the cost feasibility of chamber reaming, re-barreling, and reworking the action to accommodate such a change I know it can be done, but is it a cost effective project? (I know, relative term). Or, does anyone know of a smaller manufacturer that is making one???

I've switched most of my pistol plinking to .32 S&W and .32 H&R after the debacle of .22 availability / cost and am very happy that I did, I find it much more enjoyable then .22's and believe it to be cheaper.

Any thoughts on this???
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    both Remington and Winchester made bolt guns in .25-20 and .32-20 if you could find one of them that is well bubbed you would have an action to work with.

a savage 23d in .22 hornet 218 bee or .25-20 would also work.

but then any of those cals. work good already. in fact this past summer I have been shooting groundhogs with .25-20 and .32-20.

Boolit Master
    I have a push feed Onena Destroyer carbine that would be fairly easy to rework; so I think it would be feasible. Magazine would need work and a new barrel of course. Bolt face is already correct and COAL would fit in the magazine. The extractor on this one snaps over the rim. I don't know how hard converting the control feed Destroyers to a rimmed round would be, or any other mini mauser. Problem is they are not real strong or very common.

Boolit Master

I wish I could make the same change. I have been considering building one in a custom TC Contender carbine barrel. I just wish I could find a good pistol in .32 H&R, would love a Smith but prices are ridiculous. I would think a 700 should be easy to convert, would likely be a single round feeder.

I often think of .22's in a Nick Adams story. A woodsman carries Shorts and Long Rifles depending on what he is shooting. The .32 S&W / .32 H&R (and now the .327) option is very reminiscent of that. I can think of no cartridge easier (or cheaper) to reload than .32's with a 98gr payload.
    Mod 30/31 Smith prices seem to be coming down into the "only mildly outrageous" category, I found 31 with a 4 inch barrel- the fixed sights are dead on and it is a joy to shoot- it's no H&R mag, but does the job.

I was thinking bolt action, but have an old 92 Win in 32-20 that is shot out, perhaps I can have that outfitted?????
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    I don't think it will be a cost effective project. I'd just buy a ruger 38/357 bolt action, and use the money you saved on gunsmith fees for lead, powder and primers.

Unless you can live with a single shot, your looking at major work to get a suitable magazine and rail work to get it to feed. I'd be amazed if any smith would take on the project for $500, and wouldn't be surprised for the conversion to run $1000 for the barrel, bolt and magazine/feed rail work.

If you can live with a single shot, I'd just have a barrel made for t/c contender.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the martinni Cadet actions would make a appropriate sized action for this project also. While a single shot they are a fun little rifle. A modern bolt cound be sleeved and extractor ejectorsmade up for it. ,223 case head is .378 dia and 32 H&R mag is .375 dia, and the 32 is only .010 thicker so it can be made to work fairly easily also. The mag is going to be the issue. Look at the colt mags for .38 spl wadcutter guns for an idea there to deal with the rimmed cartridge. The 223 action will have extra travel on the bolt but shouldnt be a real issue. Ejector should work fine from the .223 set up. A push feed action bolt set up with sako style or AR-15 extractor ( allows extractor to 'snap' over rim easier) and a plunger extractor with tension adjusted to be managable. Set the magazine up to keep the rounds forward in it.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want a single shot bolt action, you could get one of the little Husqvarna No. 25 or 26's in .32-20 or .25-20 and rebarrel it. They do have an octagon barrel from the factory though.

Unless I am mistaken, I think the Savage Model 23 series have a one piece barrel and receiver.

For a repeating bolt action, You are going to have to find something like the Winchester Model 43, or maybe remodel a Spanish Destroyer.

Cost effective? No. Lots of fun? Yes.

The big problem as I see it is no one is making an appropriately sized action these days. Another hangup is getting the rimmed case to feed from the magazine. I went with a Mini-Mauser in 7.62x39 for plinking, but even it is larger than needed for a .32 H&R.

Robert

Boolit Master

I believe the only cost effective way would be a Thompson Contender.

If you want a repeater, ask one of the gunsmiths on here If it would be feasible to convert a Winchester '92. I would think it might be possible with the .25-20 or .32-20.

Alternatively just get a .32-20 rifle ( I saw a new Winchester 92 at a gun show in Fort Worth a couple of months ago for 1,000) and swap your revolver for a .32-20. There are several Colts and Smiths on Gun Broker for $500 or less.
    They are not uncommon at gun shows.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford