Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 1911 makes meat (unfortunately, not with a CB)

1911 makes meat (unfortunately, not with a CB)

I know it wasn't a CB kill, but I just harvested a nice mature doe with a 45acp 230gr Federal Hydra-shok out of my full-sized 1911. Shot was 28 paces and was DRT. This wasn't the fancy new version or +p, just the basic load. Went right in behind the shoulder and pulverized the heart and lungs - she went to sleep right away and didn't get up.

Reason I had to use the 1911 was that I hadn't finished reloading the muzzleloader after smacking another doe 50 yards past her, and this one was hanging out just a little too long! feels good to have a full freezer!

In Remembrance
    Ya got to love a double. lol

Congrats! Got pics?

Boolit Master

Real cool love a full freezer and two deer with two guns at once! Now that ranks up there on cool, like thanksgiving but with guns.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sweet! I've often wondered why so few people hunt deer with the .45. At close ranges there is no reason an FMJ or boolit wouldn't get the job done and be less destructive than a high velocity rifle round.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

That is an awesome story! Great job and thanks for sharing
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Nice! Did the bullet exit?

Boolit Buddy
    I like pistol hunt stories. I have not killed a deer with pistols in the last 8 or 9 years. I used to only hunt with pistols and revolvers for a long time. Now that my eye sight is not the best for open sights (getting old), I carry them just in case an opportunity arises. Instead, I am looking into cast boolit with rifles.
    Great story.

Boolit Master

Great story! I popped a deer in the head with a Beretta 92 9mm years ago. Deer was right underneath my stand. It was too hard to get the rifle into the right position, so I put a jhp through the top of his skull. Couldn't of been more than 12 feet. Needless to say the buck dropped in his tracks.

Thanks all! Shot didn't pass all the way through- broke apart in the chest cavity (jacket / core separation)- didn't get a pic as I was too excited calling and bragging on the phone to use the camera function (was my first double).

I think if I had used a nice fat meplat lead bullet I'd have gotten full penetration and did the same job for less money. Anyone ever try a H&G 68 200gr LSWC pushed fast on animals?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trickyasafox View Post
    Thanks all! Shot didn't pass all the way through- broke apart in the chest cavity (jacket / core separation)- didn't get a pic as I was too excited calling and bragging on the phone to use the camera function (was my first double).

I think if I had used a nice fat meplat lead bullet I'd have gotten full penetration and did the same job for less money. Anyone ever try a H&G 68 200gr LSWC pushed fast on animals?
    No, but I have used 10mm cast boolits 200 grain on critters pushed to 1200 fps. DRT.

Boolit Master

That is double cool. First you use a muzzleloader on the first one and then the second one you use not just any short gun, but old slab sides. Great hunt and good shooting.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Vendor Sponsor

Years ago I did a double the first time I took deer with a .45 Colt load, 300gr Hornady XTP over 22.5gr W296, one shot killed two, and on my birthday to boot! Gun used: 4 5/8" Color Cased Vaquero.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.