MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One of my favorite 358 Win. Loads

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    I actually did think about that while i was posting,but have never used one before. Looks like a neat tool to have around. I think that's actually the first picture i've seen of one.
    Thanks for posting that!
    I have several hundred .35 cal. cast rifle HP's.
    I'd have hated to have tried to do all that with a drill bit. Much easier to cast em' as drill em'.

Ben

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    waksupi

Many a twig / limb has ruined a good hunt !
    It has happened to me, now you, soon some of these other fellows.

Seems to all be part of it.............
    On another day you'll place that bullet perfect.

Best to you,

Ben
    Well, It didn't ruin the hunt, as the deer didn't go far. Just a bit more damage than I care for through pulverized mangled meat. I probably lost a couple pounds, but blood shot meat was not a consideration. I guess it says a lot for the bullet design that it can still kill well even with damage in flight, assuming the obstruction is fairly close to the quarry.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    For the past 5 years, this load has shot like this in my two different 358 Win. rifles.

I've killed several deer with it.

What happened Ben,those three shots aren't through the same hole,ya slippin' mate,ya slippin'.How do you get a smiley face on these posts?. Pat

Boolit Master
    hi Ben --I have vanguard in .358 win too killed a 7pt swamp deer Thanksgiving day- currently loaded with 50.5 of varget and 200 gr Hornady gummie bear bullet- I have not gone to only cast becasue I still field hunt with it, want to keep the 250 or so yards I have now --looked at your sight you do good work -- may call you some day

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLynn41 View Post
    hi Ben --I have vanguard in .358 win too killed a 7pt swamp deer Thanksgiving day- currently loaded with 50.5 of varget and 200 gr Hornady gummie bear bullet- I have not gone to only cast becasue I still field hunt with it, want to keep the 250 or so yards I have now --looked at your sight you do good work -- may call you some day
    Thanks.
    Would love to hear from you,

Ben

Boolit Master
    Ben throw up a pic of your Vanguard like to see it and I do them same -- mine ate the factory stock so I got Fajen? it was thirty years ago-- semi inlet finished it bedded it and now years later still good -- shots theSeirra the best -- but does well with 200 gr -- refinished the stock with five coats of true oil hand rubbed buffed before the last coat- it looks pretty good but hunting in the swamp is hard on the stock

.358 , 3 groove , 1 - 13
    Thanks, Ben. That Vanguard (and you) sure can shoot!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLynn41 View Post
    Ben throw up a pic of your Vanguard like to see it and I do them same -- mine ate the factory stock so I got Fajen? it was thirty years ago-- semi inlet finished it bedded it and now years later still good -- shots theSeirra the best -- but does well with 200 gr -- refinished the stock with five coats of true oil hand rubbed buffed before the last coat- it looks pretty good but hunting in the swamp is hard on the stock
    For me personally, I do believe of all of my 40 or so center fire rifles, this one ( for white tail deer ) is clearly my all time favorite.

Set up with a Millet 3 X 9 X 40 illuminated reticle scope. The reticle inside the scope is etched in the glass, that is a super reliable way of doing it in my opinion.

I've tried 3 different stocks on this rifle. This synthetic , that is on it now , is best suited for my purposes. The stock is rugged, takes a lot of abuse in the woods and shows little signs of any use at all.

The barreled action is glass bedded and the barrel free floats. JES rebored my 308 factory barrel. Mine is now .358 ", 1-13 twist, 3 groove. It is a super accurate barrel. JES does excellent work. The interior of this barrel looks like a mirror.

This rifle is a " KILLER " ! ! !

Ben

Last edited by Ben; 12-02-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    thanks for the heads up I will do the same -my stock was a Fajen semi inletted -- shape is much like yours-- took a 141# dressed weight 7pt thanksgiving morning

Boolit Grand Master
    waksupi

Many a twig / limb has ruined a good hunt !
    It has happened to me, now you, soon some of these other fellows.

Seems to all be part of it.............
    On another day you'll place that bullet perfect.

Best to you,

Ben
    It really doesn't take much of a twig either. One time I shot at a pretty decent buck with a 6.5-06 and hit a sumac sprout right where it forked into three limbs. I have no idea where the bullet went, but it wasn't into the deer.

I went back the next day and walked my line of fire until I found the twig I hit. It was maybe 3/8" diameter.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Tag for later reference.

Boolit Master

Ben,
    good hand-loading and great shooting !
    (but plastic stocks ...ugh!)
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Mold
    Range Report: I just made it to the range yesterday with my newly re-bored 358 Win. by Jesse at JES. It was an old SAKO L579 Forester (.243) sporter that saw hard, hard use by a prior owner and it was time to give to a second life. I spoke at some length with Jesse and I decided on a 1/12 twist 5 groove. After cleaning, I shot 40 (seasoning) shots in groups of 5 with full bore scrub and copper removal after every 5. These were 158 gr. pistol bullets over 11 gr. Trail Boss. and then 5 more with 180 gr. Speer.

My mild 'test load' was LC 74 Match brass, Fed primer, 43.5 gr. H4895 and Hornady 200 gr. Spire pt. I only had time for 100 yard testing but I shot two, 3 shot groups at .70". I shot another 5 shot group (not letting barrel cool) where 4 were at .65" but the fifth edged out to just over an inch. I think that one was my fault. My point here is my extreme satisfaction with the work that Jesse did for me. The service was fast, it looks great and performance of the rifle is far better than I expected. I'll start to play with cast when I get time and report. I should mention that Jesse explained that a 3 groove would be just fine but for personal reasons, I chose the 5 groove..and am happy.

Boolit Buddy
    Love the threads for 358 win. Can't wait to build one.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12