MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Slugging new 357 revolver

Slugging new 357 revolver

I will be slugging my new 357 revolver over the weekend. Can anyone suggest the appropriate size of lead to use?

Boolit Buddy

I make my own by using a drill bit larger than the bore. I drill a hole near the end of a piece of 1x2 and melt stick on wheel weights in my ladle and pour it into the hole. Saw the 1x2 near the slug then split it with a chisel. Remember to lube your slug well and use a brass rod. Lowes has brass rod in various sizes. You would use a bit that measures about .375. I drill in 2 steps, first hole with a bit slightly smaller than the bore about 1&3/8 inch deep then enlarge the hole with the larger bit, stopping at the 1" mark. That allows you to start easier.

Banned
    If it is a brand new gun, or a gun of recent manufacture, I think you are wasting your time slugging the bore. I don't mean to rain or your parade.

Most new guns are boringly uniform in their dimensions. Also, if it is a Smith and Wesson you won't be able to measure the slug without pin gauges or sending it to a machinist.

Call Dardas Bullets and tell Matt your worries. I'm sure he will sell you an assortment pack of .357, .358 and .359 diameter bullets. Then load them up and test them.

I paid over $700 for my new S&W 586 and that is what I did. I didn't want to risk damaging the crown.

My 80 year old 7X57 or 30-06? No problem, I slug away. But I truly believe you don't need to with a new revolver.

Just my 2 cents.

Boolit Grand Master
    A .375 Round Ball meant for .36 caliber cap & ball revolvers has always worked for me, when slugging .38/.357's.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Even if I wasn't gonna shoot lead bullets, I'd like to know more about my gun (I believe every manufacturer has tolerances and I want to know exactly what my particular gun measures). One trick used is fill a fired case with soft lead and when cool, use an impact bullet puller to remove the perfect size slug from the case. For revolvers a measurement of the cylinder throats is a good idea also (I size my bullets to match the throats on all my revolvers). Search here or google "how to measure barrel slugs" or something like that for hints on how to measure odd number grooved barrel slugs (as a lifelong machinist/mechanic, I can get accurate measurements on an odd grooved slug with only a 1" micrometer, I can "spin" the slug and "feel" the proper amount of pressure for accurate measurements). When I slug a barrel, I like to see a lead "donut" from a slug at least .010" larger than the bore.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

What MDI said works like a charm for me. I have used that technique several times.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Boolit Grand Master

Only one reason to slug a revolver bore and that's to know that it's at or barely smaller than throat diameter. Proper sizing for a revolver is sized to the throats. Will do no good to size to the bore groove diameter if it's larger than the throats because the bullets will be throat diameter when they exit the throats.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I use pure lead and the largest mold I have and cast about 50 bullets.

Around half of them will mike .361 to .362.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Vendor Sponsor

OP when you slug a bore or cylinder, you want to make sure and use dead soft lead because alloys have a bit of "springback" that will actually make the slug larger than the hole it just came out of. Not much but enough to know that it can skew your data. I get the egg sinkers at walmart and if they are not quite big enough you can sit one on a vise or other solid metal surface and smack it with a hammer, it will expand the middle of it.

As mentioned earlier, the actual micrometer/mathematical measurement of the slug's diameter is not that important. What is, is when you knock it through the barrel, when it comes out try and fit it into the cylinder throats from the front. Only if it will not go into the cylinder throats, is there a problem. Once the slug comes through the barrel, and it slides into the cylinder throats, it means the throats are at least larger than the bore which is as it should be.

The other thing to watch out for is when you are pushing the slug down the bore and it gets to where the barrel threads into the frame, if it gets tighter going through that area, it means you might have what is called a "thread choke" where torquing the barrel into the frame distorts it and causes it to squeeze down smaller in diameter. Normally this isn't an issue with .357" because the barrel is generally thicker than say a .44 or .45 caliber barrel. But you still need to know if the slug gets harder to push through this area or not.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

You will find that .357 Mag revolvers have MUCH smaller variation than
    the .44s and especially the .45 Colts. My bet is that .358 diam
    will be perfect.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Taylor - If you find you have .358 diameter throats, you can be happy. That's just the ticket.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I would take a piece of 38 brass with old primer in it and fill it with lead then pound it out with a kinetic puller. This is normally what I do to get a slug for straight walled cartridges.

It is a waste of time to slug the bore of your revolver for it will be .357 +- .0003 in the grooves and I don't even know the make of your sixgun. If you want to measure your charge hole throats go ahead, but at the end of the day you will use either .357 or .358 cast bullets and you probably can't make change for a dime on the accuracy difference.

This stuff really isn't as arcane, mysterious or esoteric as many would make it seem.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Some great replies here. I use a 9mm mould or larger and make several pure casts. You can squish the smaller diameter boolits in a vice if they need to be a larger diameter. one thing that I didn't see mentioned. Remove the cylinder before slugging the barrel or throats. Place the cylinder chamber down on a board and slug from the throat.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Great small weekend project! Thanks for all of the comments/suggestions.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I realize that you probably don't have access to a set of these but pin gauges are great for checking cylinder bores. I have a set that I bought just for tasks like this. They are also useful for checking bore restritions such as where the barrel is screwed into the frame.
    I discovered that my Ruger GP-100 had such a restriction. Fire lapping cured that problem.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    It is a waste of time to slug the bore of your revolver for it will be .357 +- .0003 in the grooves and I don't even know the make of your sixgun. If you want to measure your charge hole throats go ahead, but at the end of the day you will use either .357 or .358 cast bullets and you probably can't make change for a dime on the accuracy difference.

This stuff really isn't as arcane, mysterious or esoteric as many would make it seem.

This.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    You will find that .357 Mag revolvers have MUCH smaller variation than
    the .44s and especially the .45 Colts. My bet is that .358 diam
    will be perfect.

Bill
    +1

By 1980, I had already lost track of how many .357s I had owned.

I have owned a few more since then.

I have never seen one that didn't work very well with .358 bullets.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Slugging new 357 revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post

+1
    I use .359 in all of mine but that's simply to make it easy to use the same ammo in a Marlin 1894C. Maybe it's just me, but I try a few different sizes and see what works best. Sizing dies are cheap and there is zero risk of me damaging a firearm doing it this way.