Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: How much is too much in the .357?

Boolit Man

How much is too much in the .357?

Alright guys. I recently found and purchased a Rossi 92 in .357. It is the 20" octagon etc. This thing is awesome as many of you know. I have been working on hunting loads for it, as my daughter has a late mule deer doe tag in Dec. She already shot her buck (7mm-08 with j-words) and wants a bit of a different experience this time. I am loading 158 grn SWC coated in Hi-Tek. Bullets are cast out of 2-6-92. Due to the weather, I have yet to put any of the loads over a chrono, but accuracy has been more than adequate with 2400 and Lil'gun, with 16 grns of Lil'gun being the best so far. My question is with this bullet scooting along at a velocity +1900 fps, what is the potential for excessive meat loss etc.?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

I made a thread not long ago with a similar question. It really boils down to "don't shoot the shoulder, keep the velocity low, use a heavy for caliber boolit" and you'll be fine. Worry more about accuracy than the velocity of the boolit.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mize-meat-loss

Banned

should be able to eat right up to the hole, at least I could when I shot my deer with my 357 mag and 180gr cast bullets.

Banned

Rifle or revolver, you face the same problems, Bullet/boolit construction. I would go heavy myself

I used my Rossi .357 this year on a 1 1/2 year old doe. The bullet was a Lee 158 grain tl swc cast out of COWW and sitting on top of 17 grains of lil' gun. I hit her a little high and cought the spine and the upper part of the lungs. It really didn't seem to do excessive amounts of damage to the meat, just a nice hole in and out and maybe a half inch of blood shot meat around the hole. Give it a whirl I think you'll like the results.

Boolit Master
    Ditto on the 180's. Go heavy. I know other guys use 158-160ish but I sure like the 180 in the revolver and lever gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that's hardly 270 speed and you're using a solid lead bullet potential for meat damage is considerably less than most commonly used deer calibers. You have much less to worry about in that regard than most hunters.

Most would find the idea of a 357 carbine with said bullets and loads as "too much" to be fairly amusing, I would bet. That's only about 1250 ft lbs. That's pretty much everything you can get out of a 357 carbine......if you really are going that fast. Congrats....you've equaled a 25-35, almost.
    Last edited by 35remington; 11-25-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The largest meat loss you can have is if you miss the deer. LOL!
    I like to try the 16 gr Li'lGun. I have not had any good luck with velocities past 1300 fps using Blue Dot, 2400, and Unique.
    Camba

I disagree with a shot placement post above, mostly because tracking usually means packing critters out longer distances.
    A shoulder shot with your 158 gr slug should anchor your deer in it's shadow.
    At less than 50 yards, the lead alloy you describe will likely penetrate fully through both shoulders and spine. Meat loss will be minimal.
    A .22 magnum does this exactly, and it's MUCH less than your .357.
    The .357 does this on pigs much tougher than deer, so your .357 should have no problems.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys for the posts. I have no doubt that this load will work. Just don't meant to over do it and ruin meat on the chance she takes a shoulder. Btw. I have been surprised at the recoil and sharpness of the Lil'gun. Quite a difference vs. 2400 and 4227. I will keep you all posted.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use the Hunter's Supply. 358-190FN which has a large meplat and same profile as NEI #161A, loaded with 12 grains of #2400 in the .357 Mag. Marlin 1894C. It kills as well as my. 44-40 1894S with 200-grain bullets at similar velocity.

Boolit Man
    With the slow twist Rossi, I understand that I am likely limited by the slow twist. I would like to try some on the spring when time allows.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Took two does the other day using 235gr flat point at 1450fps. I could probably cut the speed in half and be ok, but I like the trajectory out to two hundred yards,,,,,. Too much? I don't know, I prefer to shoot through the lungs,,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Man
    Have shot black tailed deer with 357 mag and heavy cast bullets.
    Generally shot low on the chest to get the heart if the shot was
    available. Very little meat damage since bullet doesn't expand
    violently. Makes for a better eating deer.

Boolit Master
    Shoot-em through the lungs and you'll be eating venison. I shot a ~90lb yearling with 200gr FNGC @ 2,000fps at range of 110yds (~1500-1700fps impact speed). It was 3/8" hole in and out through lungs behind shoulder. Deer ran ~75yds and dropped. I didn't see the impact or deer run due to shooting between limbs, trees. I finally found it after extensive search. No blood or hair, ect.
    I shot a larger deer with 220gr RNGC from .338MX hollow pointed with similar shot at 30yds from same stand. It left a 2"x3" exit wound and deer only staggered 30feet.

On neither deer did I loose the first bit of edible meat.

Put a .35cal "boolit" hole through them where it matters and you'll have plenty of meat with little meat loss...
    The semi-wadcutter your using will work splendidly.
    Shot placement means the most, hence accuracy trumps speed....

Boolit Master

I would use a heavy wide nose bullet, speed is second to accuracy. I shoot a 200gr. LBT WFN in a 686 when I pistol hunt. Very effective round, no photos of a deer shot with it... but trust me it works!

Boolit Buddy
    My .357 load is a 180gr FNGC WW over a stout load of AA#9 and the last two deer I was able to eat up to the hole. Good luck.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 19112TAP View Post
    My .357 load is a 180gr FNGC WW over a stout load of AA#9 and the last two deer I was able to eat up to the hole. Good luck.
    Are you able to feed that through your Rossi?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I shot hem from my Marlin and I have to seat them a little deeper than the crimp groove but I use a lee crimp.