Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like I'm getting a 45-70

Boolit Buddy

Looks like I'm getting a 45-70

Looks like I am trading for a Marlin LTD V. I am pretty excited. New caliber to cast for!
    Last edited by bigarm; 11-25-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Lucky,Lucky you. Ive got a 1895 GBL and love it. I would be very excited over the ltd V myself. I think its one of the best rounds for casting and reloading. Hope you enjoy your new lever. Rick!

Just started castin 350gr NOE's for mine. Still have not loaded any. Soon!

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats! Everybody needs a 45-70, right?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I'm A Honcho!
    I used to think what's the big deal about a 45-70. Then I got one in a marlin guide gun and wow I shoot it more than my 22 right now. It's a very addictive caliber I think I might need a 12 step program to get away from it!!!
    I have more molds for 45-70 than any other caliber right now.

Boolit Grand Master

Twelve step programs are for quitters, 45-70's are for casters. Having too many 45-70 moulds is like having too many leverguns. Not possible.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    I haven't always wanted a 45-70 but I did pick up a used Marlin 1895SS last week. Shot it for the first time yesterday with Hornady 325 TSX ammo. That was a new experience.

Looking forward to casting and reloading for it.

I'm A Honcho!
    I was just eyeing a hollow point mold on fleabay.
    I am going to need another ton of lead also.
    This addiction is a very lead thirsty one!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

I had always wanted a Marlin 45-70. Finally got one a few years ago. First shot I had the biggest grin and became a Marlin levergun fanatic ever since.

Moderator Emeritus

I also have a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. The cast boolits I used to shoot, I referred to as shooting little Volkswagons . SWANEEDB gifted me some boolits which made these look tiny -- so now, I'm shooting MiniBuses! At least with my .45-70, the recoil is totally different -- almost a delay -- from pretty much all my other firearms...not all that unpleasant for the first few shots.
    Enjoy yours! Surely a great firearm in a great caliber!
    georgerkahn

Boolit Master

am i sick? i had 3 45-70 molds befor i had the rifle

Boolit Master

45-70 is a very versatile caliber and I love my Marlin. Actually, I may like the 38-55 a bit more and it is very flexible when hand loaded. 250 grains of lead at 1500 fps is good for plinking and light hunting.

Boolit Master

You guys are killin me! My first centerfire rifle was a Marlin Lever, 30-30 in 1970. Wasn't long before I thought I needed an '06, then a .270, you know that old Marlin just wasn't cool enough. Looks like you lever guys are havin all the fun now though and I'm just before going back to my roots. OK, I see yall are sold on the .45-70 and I like big boolits (loading .58 minies in 12 ga sabots and 2-.600 ball loads), but is the .45-70 gonna punish these 62 yr. old bones like my big 12 ga loads do? Gimme the truth guys....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    You guys are killin me! My first centerfire rifle was a Marlin Lever, 30-30 in 1970. Wasn't long before I thought I needed an '06, then a .270, you know that old Marlin just wasn't cool enough. Looks like you lever guys are havin all the fun now though and I'm just before going back to my roots. OK, I see yall are sold on the .45-70 and I like big boolits (loading .58 minies in 12 ga sabots and 2-.600 ball loads), but is the .45-70 gonna punish these 62 yr. old bones like my big 12 ga loads do? Gimme the truth guys....
    load it to sute you.lite enough to feel good and still kill

Boolit Grand Master

OK, I see yall are sold on the .45-70 and I like big boolits (loading .58 minies in 12 ga sabots and 2-.600 ball loads), but is the .45-70 gonna punish these 62 yr. old bones like my big 12 ga loads do? Gimme the truth guys....Hogtamer

If punishment is what you want the 45-70 in "modern" loads is certainly up to the task but few critters require the 45-70 to "be all that it can be". I've tried it, didn't enjoy it, lol. Nice thing is that decent accuracy and awesome smackdown comes along at a much more sedate velocity, with some boolits somewhere around 1600 fps, heavy boolits often much slower. My hunting load is a pretty stout load (for me) featuring a 350gr RD boolit at around 1800fps, IIRC. Probably more than TX critters need but I like to maintain minute of whitetail out to about 150 yds without allowing for bullet drop, I suck at range estimation.

Perma-Banned

45/70's are addicting. You will have more than one before it is said and done. I must have ten different molds and quite a few guns.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad bigarm decided not to take my offer of trade for my guide gun. It is really my favorite rifle. 45-70 is super easy to reload for any power level you want. Some of the Marlin only loads will really get your attention if you want power, or use trapdoor power loads and still have enough power to kill anything in North America, wth moderate recoil to boot.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

A Lee 405 grain loaded with 45 grains of H4895 pushes to a velocity of about 1500 fps out of my Marlin 22 inch. It is not punishing and will kill anything you need it to. Remember the original 45-70 405 grain loads were in the vicinity of 1350 fps and those killed everything on the planet. I have pushed the Lee 405 all the way to 1850 fps. THAT is punishing.

I have shot some hot Buffalo Bore bullets in the Marlin 1895. My 67 year old body said "Uncle". I'll be loading some ***** loads tomorrow and expect this to become my go to the range rifle with 350gr bullets at 1200-1400fps.

Boolit Buddy

My first 45/70 was a HandiRifle w/22" barrel. I added a BC barrel to that combo and later bought the 1895. I love shootin all 3 and have no favorite. Have a couple moulds and will be getting at least one more in the very near future - a NOE .460 PB/GC combination mould.

Loading options are nearly infinite. Meanest load I ever shot was 55gr 4198 behind a 350gr cast boolit (I don't ever want to shoot that again) and have shot nearly every possible combination w/smokeless or BP down to a round ball powered by 3gr Trail Boss for back yard 50 ft target practice. 45/70 is too much fun that I hardly have time for .22s anymore, haven't touched a 30-30 in months or my muzzle loaders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast