RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primers for 454 Casull

Boolit Master

Primers for 454 Casull

I'm having a problem getting good ignition with H-110 in my 454. I tried a firmer crimp which didn't help. I'm using Winchester Small Rifle primers. They work well with other powders such as 2400. After having to knock a few bullets from the barrel I pulled what was left. Weighed the powder charges after pulling the bullets and all were spot on at 29.0 grains. Would a Remington 7 1/2 primer give me better ignition? It is supposed to be a little hotter than their 6 1/2.

Nighthunter

Small Rifle MAGNUM primers.......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    A Remington 7 1/2 is considered a MAGNUM primer in most manuals. Have you experience with it or just running an armchair response?

Nighthunter

Boolit Master
    So are you saying the primers aren't lighting the powder, but are dislodging the bullet?

As long as I run loads that are not downloaded in any way I have never had any problems getting complete and total ignition with CCI small rifle primers in any of my three 454 Casulls. I have never tried Winchester primers in it. I had issues with Winchester primers and odd ignition in 45-70 so after I used them up I have never tried any Winchester primers since. They are probably fine for half the world but my gun didn't like them. I have used CCI in all primer types since then. I shoot 200 rounds of 454 even on slow weeks, sometimes I shoot that many in an afternoon and I have not had a single issue with ignition of H-110 using CCI. The big caveat to that is never to download it. If you download it you get all kinds of ignition problems. That is why I dislike H-110, it has a really narrow window in which it works well. In that window it is fantastic, out of that window you never know what you are going to get. I use it for full house, snot beater loads and it works amazingly well. For everything else in 454 I use 4227.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Master
    That's correct str8wal. Some lodge in the barrel and the ones that don't are definitely are under powered. Unburnt powder is very evident in both cases.

Nighthunter

Boolit Master
    If you can, I would suggest trying a different primer. I have fired thousand upon thousands of 454 Casull loads, most loaded with middle of the road to full house loads of H110 and have never experienced a single misfire. Only misfire I have ever had was in a Super Blackhawk with H110 at -30* F.

Boolit Master

I'm sitting in an armchair. I don't shoot 454 cassul anymore, only 460. But if I DID trade my 460 for a 454, I would be using large rifle magnum primers for all my loads.

Because I would have all my 460 brass (and if I did not I would be willing to buy a few hundred new) which I would cut down to fit my 454 cylinder. Problem solved. Especially since I don't reload any small primer cases, so it makes stocking up on primers VERY easy.

You don't say what weight bullet you're loading or in what gun you're shooting them. Using CCI small rifle primers and Accurate No. 9 with 265 and 300 grain cast bullets I get perfect ignition once the charge is heavy enough. Problems with ignition occur when the charge is too light. In the voluminous 454 Casull case there is no recourse but to shoot stiff charges of slow burning powders. If you want lighter loads, use Unique or 2400.

Boolit Master

For loads using 30+ grs of H-110 /296 or WCC 820 i use Rem 7 1/2 BR rifle primers, for loads using up to 29grs H-110/296 & WCC 820 i use Federal small rifle primers, for loads using up to 9.0 grs of Tightgroup powder i use Federal small pistol primers.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had my model 83 in 454 for over 20 plus years.I only use WSR primers and 95% of my loads are h110.I have never had this problem,not saying it does not exist.The lowest temp I've shot was 30 degrees.My favorite load 26 grn h110 335grn wlngc lbt,this rocks.I can't even tell how many of these i've shot with out one misfireI hope you find your problem.Working on your gun is not as fun as shooting it

Boolit Master
    Has/does anyone use the CCI 41's? They are the primers that are made for the AR with the harder cups to avoid slamfires. IIRC they are also mag primers. Recon they would work reliably in a Ruger SRH 454? Reason I ask is that I have several thousand of them and no regular SRM primers on hand.
    Last edited by wlc; 11-26-2014 at 04:41 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Magnum powder like H-110, Win 296 and MP-300 ect., require magnum primers for reliable ignition. A heavy crimp helps as well. It's really that simple. just my 2 cents...

Boolit Grand Master

Need to know what bullet weight. 29 gr H-110 with bullets of 240 gr is way to light a charge for H-110 to work. I tried H-110 with 240's loading down to 33 gr's with miserable results, load wouldn't hit a barn if I were standing inside it. Without pressure H-110 simply will not burn well and you'll get the results you experienced. Crimp isn't the solution and a hotter primer will have very limited success. Bottom line . . . H-110 cannot be loaded down.

So, what bullet weight?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Bullet is NOE 454-285 SWC. My bullets weigh in at 290 grains and I size them to .452. I came into some WC-820 powder yesterday which has been my long time favorite powder for mag handgun and am going to use it in the 454. WC-820 is much easier to light.

Nighthunter

Banned

Need to read what I found. You need to shoot max or just under with H110 or 296 using the SR primer of any kind.
    Cut down .460 brass and use a LP mag primer and you can shoot any load from starting book loads to max. Imagine shooting another shot with a boolit in the bore and unburned powder behind it?
    Any SR primer is just wrong and brass never should have been made for them. I would not buy the .454 abortion.
    Do not let anyone tell you what primer to use. Tests show the SR is wrong. Any can have a failure to ignite without a full charge of H110 or 296. Other powders get by. I have opened primer pockets for a LP but it is hard to do. Best to go through the pain of cutting .460 brass.
    I carry a brass rod and a hammer in my shooting bag for those that don't listen.

Boolit Master
    44man, will have to disagree, I have fired thousands of 454 rounds in 2 different firearms, and have never had a misfire or hangfire. I have shot loads of H110 with bullets from 250grs up to 420grs. Couldn't begin to figure how many jugs of H110 I have burned in my 454. I get great case life, and the primer pockets stay tight. I have never personally known anyone who has had problems with the 454 and 454 brass.

What's the case volume of a 460 cut down to 454 specs? Are they the same or is there manufacturing differences of the same make?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm closing in on 2k rounds fired with 3 different platforms (FA x2 and a Taurus over 16 yrs.)

Never a failure.
    I run with unique for plinkers and 4227 for power.
    It isn't the round, it's how it was loaded and the choice of components in the load.

Banned

No problem with full charges of H110 or 296 but starting book loads would not ignite. You can't work loads from the book, Just go to max for these powders. Other powders are OK.
    Once I went to a large primer pocket, even a standard LP fired all loads but the Fed 155 was more accurate. Freedom and SRH. Both failed with starting loads.
    .460 brass is the same. Just longer. Cut it and see how good the .454 can be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast