Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 35893 / 358093 Clone or Derivative

Boolit Master

35893 / 358093 Clone or Derivative

I've acquired a decent number of 429303s as well as a couple of copies (NOE and NEI). I find them to be excellent shooters, unique and fun to use and load, and they cut wadcutter-holes at extended ranges. I load mine with lighter loads of 4227 and find them to be super accurate, although a bit dirty.

However, the 35893 has long eluded me, the diminutive brother of the 429303.

If you are not familiar with the 35893, it is a 125 grain spire point gas checked mold with a crimp groove. I think having a PB would also be an interesting option: here is a picture of one of my 429303 copies with a PB.

This is a NOE 199gr PB design that is quite similar to the 429303. I think something very near to that could also be done with the 358 version.

What's the reason and purpose of this design? Mostly to be cool and interesting, but it's a superb penetrator too! A hard boolit or a pure lino one at a high speed could do some interesting things. My .44s with the spire point design will tear up mild steel that normally gets dented at most by heavier or rounder designs.

I think most who shoot the design will attest to the accuracy, and the very clean holes they punch in paper. Shooting light loads to relatively extended handgun distances with these is pretty easy with good accuracy, although for extreme accuracy or silhouette knockdown at very long range I think you would be best to look to a heavier boolit. It won't be replacing the -627s in your .357 maxes, for sure.

I may just be farting in the wind as I have no experience with honchoing or designing a boolit but I think it would be easy to get interest in this design. 35893s were milled by Lyman's alchemists out of pure blocks of unobtainium only procured after a ritual blood sacrifice in their machine shops, and as such they bring over $200 for examples on Ebay pretty regularly- it is a fairly well known design, but definitely not a common one. I've only seen one on this site ever, and it went for a large amount as well! The interest in this design is there, and I feel confident that it would be easy to get together a group of enthusiasts for a buy. The "gun shop rumor" that I don't actually believe is that Lyman stopped making the design because it penetrated body armor. I think that's hogwash, but I imagine that if any light .357 lead design was up to it, this would be.

The downsides are that it requires a different seating stem than what you likely have, but Lyman provided me one for the .44 design for cheap, and I saw a member here place a nut inside his sizing die to protect the point, which also would likely work just as well.

The other downside is some makers won't make designs that don't terminate in a flat meplat (that seems redundant). I don't know who or what design constraints are out there.

In further searching I believe a GB may have been run for this years ago... I hope 45 2.1 won't mind but I've taken the liberty of reposting the drawings he made. I do not know if said GB ever came to fruition, as it happened back in 2008 or so if it ever did happen based on the thread I found.

This is a PB version. Lyman's original design is a GC around 125gr.

Thank you for your interest and comments- I have never proposed or solicited interest in a design before, so let me know if there are any concerns we can aggregate and work towards or answer.

I for one would be very interested...

Boolit Master

I would be in. Looks like it would be a fun 380/9mm if around 105
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I'd be in for a plain base aluminum 5 cavity at 130 to 135 grains.

NOE ran them in .35 , .44, .45, and .500 calibers.
    Their site might be a good place to inquire about a rerun.

Pete

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1111-spire-360-156.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	148539
    This one (NOE) would be great.

Boolit Master
    The first design looks good for 9mm/38/357, but the last one looks to be only useful for 38/357.

Yes, I believe the heavier one with gas check would be ideal for 357 at extended ranges .

Boolit Master
    Heh, posted this many months ago with no interest. I also posted on the Noe forums but last I checked there were no replies.

I am still interested in a rerun.

Boolit Master
    I put in my cards on a run for the 360-95-SP 5 cavity PB aluminium and a 360-134-SP PB alumimum 5 cavity
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I have a Lyman 358093. Its the most difficult bullet to get to drop from the mold I own. Sure is a fun little bullet. Center fire Super Colibri.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    I have a Lyman 358093. Its the most difficult bullet to get to drop from the mold I own. Sure is a fun little bullet. Center fire Super Colibri.
    I kinda like that analogy, a big, centerfire Super Colibri! Hopefully they drop nice. My NOE's are my finest handling molds in all aspects.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed