MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Just bought another .44 mold

Just bought another .44 mold

I just picked up a RCBS 44-250-swc mold with rounded grease groove and was wondering if anyone on here has used this boolit in a S&W 629. I will be casting it with acww and lubing with Bens Red. I have a Noe 432-265wfngc and a Lee c429-240 swc but wanted something without a gas check and found a good deal on this one so I snagged it. I have never gotten acceptable accuracy with the Lee but the Noe is great. Just curious how well this RCBS boolit design works for you guys.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Boolit Buddy
    I had one that I foolishly sold a while ago when I got my hands on a "square groove" 429421. Just picked up another, nearly new and have not tried this one yet. The one I had before cast great using acww technique. Shot very accurately in my 629 Classic. I'm just hoping my current one does as well. -Ed

I have a square groove 4 cav. Lyman 429421 that drops .430" boolits. My 29 likes this boolit around 10BHN over 8gr of Unique.
    I don't hot rod this gun, that's what the Blackhawk is for. It gets said boolit with 19gr 2400.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used mine with great results in 6 different 44 mags. 10 grains of Unique, 18.5 grains of 2400, 9.0 grains of WW-231, 6.0 grains of Red Dot, 22.5 grains H-110:All have shot well in 44 Mag. In addition, this boolit is perfect for the Skelton 7.5 grain 44 Special load. That shoots so well in my Ruger Flat top that I have no business trying anything else.
    Elmer made a big deal out of his square grooved design, but I find that the round 358-311 style grooves cast easier, and shoot every bit as well. In fact, my Ideal 429-421 SC went down the road for that reason. A finicky single cavity mold is no joy. I still have a 4 cavity 429-421 made by lyman, but I don't use that many these days so it sits waiting its turn. But if RCBS made 4 cavity molds to match the quality of their two cavity molds, no one would buy anything else!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I received the mold and cast up a couple hundred boolits from it over the weekend. The mold is unmarked but it casts great and the boolits drop at .4315 and I size them to .431. Just hope they shoot as good as they look. I will be working up some loads with unique and 2400. It is the middle one.
    Life member NRA since 1976