RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Want to PP my 9.3

Boolit Buddy

Want to PP my 9.3

So I want to PP the 286 gr cast boolits from my NOE mold as I'm not getting the accuracy I want.
    Do I understand this right, I've never patched before(I want to try my .303 too).
    I have a sizer that I lapped from .358 to .368 for sizing and gas checking.
    Can I lap another sizer to bore size(I have'nt slugged it yet), and then PP back to groove diameter?
    My mold throws at barely .368 IIRC, so I should be able to make another sizer for .366ish, or whatever my slug comes out at.
    Does that all sound right?

Boolit Master

I'm looking at the same thing. I would bet your bore diameter is closer to .358 which, as you point out, is readily available. I hope someone with some experience weighs in here.

Anyway, .358/.366 is what my #1 measures.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Hopefully you won't need to size the castings and the patched boolit will be a snug fit in an unsized fired case and will fit the throat. That's if all goes well. You might just try a few patches and see how they fit the throat and case neck and take it from there.

What I have done is make a brass rod with depth marker to check for boolit fit in the throat of my 303's. The rod is set to measure the shoulder and neck junction. If the boolit requires a little force to set to the correct depth, that force needs to be less than the pulling force to dislodge the boolit from the neck (push in or pull out). Ideally, the force should be just a slight finger pressure to set it to the proper depth in the throat.

I also made up a test case with a rod screwed in from the rear to the correct seating depth (drilled and tapped case head). I then set the boolit into the neck and insert into the chamber to see if it chambers all the way. That doesn't tell me if the boolit is too small or short, only that it will chamber so I don't use that one much.

BTW, you don't say what 9.3 you have?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I have a Husky 9.3x62 Mauser. I tried various loads of h4895, Varget and R15, none grouped better than 12-14" at 200yds. I bought some jacketed bullets partly to see if it was a gun/scope/me issue, but it shoots like a champ wit them. I bought this gun specifically to shoot a heavy cast boolit for moose and elk as I have a bunch of 30 cals that I can shoot deer with using cast. Gonna try some unsized .358 boolits down the bore to see if they are loose.
    I won't have time to shoot cast until the new year anyway.

I paper patch a Saeco #352 35 Caliber (358 Diameter) 245 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check with tracing paper for my Ruger 9.3x74R. The finish diameter is 0.368". No sizing die is needed. This PP bullet works great on wild hogs.

Boolit Master
    I also pp a .358 boolit originally used with my whelen. It worked fine but I bought the NOE mold and use it w/o pp.