Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Anyone use reclaimed shot?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone use reclaimed shot?

Was over at trapshooters.com and there was a person selling reclaimed shot 50#/$59.99 shipped to your door. Has anyone used reclaimed?

Boolit Man
    I buy reclaimed shot form the trap range and load it into more trap loads. Form the 16 yard line it works fine.

Banned

I use it for alloy, not for shotshells. Would work fine for trap/skeet. Comes from trap skeet club. I Cast buckshot and bullets. Add a little tin and it is a fine alloy. Fortunately one of the family members lives near me, so I am picking it up directly. It is a great deal.

I use reclaimed exclusively for skeet and 16 yard trap. Not only that, I use 3/4 oz with 12 gauge. If you hit the bird, you break it. If you miss, then 2 ounces of shot won't break it. You get no extra points for making puffs of smoke.

When you get your shot, run a magnet across it to see if there is any steel in it. One or two pellets here or there is not great, but not terrible, the more that's in there, the more you risk scratching your barrel. Sometimes I cheat and pour the reclaimed shot into the casting pot. It works fine for boolits too.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I'm going to try it, let you know what it looks like. I thought the price was ok as they are shipping to my door for 50 # /$ 59.99.

Boolit Master
    Quality of the reclaimed shot is everything!

I've purchased reclaimed here in LA and found it raised heck with my MEC sizemaster until I learned that all shot bushings and charge bars are calibrated for 9 shot, anything else varies the payload weight.

Bought a couple used pie tins from Goodwill and drilled a lot of holes in the bottom of them, each one setr for a different shot size!

so I got 9, 8, 7.5, 6 and 5's out of my first 100 Lb's. Strange range rule is nothing heavier than 7.5, LOL!

I got about 3 Lb's of 5 and 2.5 of 6's!!

s if ya have a problem with crimps closing to much and then not closing at all check you shot it's more of a mix than you think.

After I sorted 100 Lb's of reclaimed shot I decided new was the way to go when I could afford it.

Recently traded WW metal ( stick on) for 9 shot made with a Littleton. Quality stuff and I may do it again but my powder reloading house here in LA has shot for 39 a bag so not as big a hurry to trade off WW metal even stick on.

Boolit Master
    I shot lots of reclaimed that I bought from the local trap club. My only advice is to use a good plastic shot cup that contains all the shot in the shell as there may be dirt or other things in the shot. I used some with fiber wads and scratched the bore on one of my Parker shotguns. That made me quit using reclaimed and I went to a Littleton shot maker so I could make shot inexpensively. The cost of lead has me buying new shot again.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy

I shoot it almost exclusively, but I CLEAN and re-graphite it before use. An old carburetor dunk basket sorts it to two grades sufficiently for my use. a Claybuster wad and a charge of Promo, and the 1oz loads are good to the 24yd line, any further than that and the hits get weak. Skeet , works perfect with the finer grade, NO complaints as far as barrel wear or choke damage.

If the shot you get is oxidized, or really filthy, I wet wash it in a solution of Lime Gone(Smart&Final cheap) and H2O, rinse well and dry in the sun( not a problem here in the summer) then a trip through the tumbler to graphite it. I generally sieve it before the graphite as any detrious, rocks, and stuff show up better.

Boolit Master

AND reclaimed shot is awesome for doves and quail, it really transfers energy into
    the bird !!
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I use it in everything except my .410's they get new #9's.

Some say you can tell the difference between reclaimed and new. I say BS.

if the guy at Trapshooters.com can sell 50# for $60 shipped,,, that is a really good deal.

I paid $25 a bag 5 years ago.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Well I thought the price was ok 50# for $60.00 shipped to my door, I plan on tumble and graphite as I have this setup already. I will let people know how the product looks. They have 60K # of reclaimed shot to sell.

I am interested in how it works out... I would want to purchase some

Boolit Master
    The price is good no doubt of that!

I to am interested if the shot sizes are not all over the place, please post when you know.

Boolit Master
    I reclaimed shot from our trap field, shot just fine.

You get get better pricing than that TS post. Ricks Shooting Supply has reclaimed for $32/bag plus shipping. RotoMetals has 2 bags for $80 shipped.

$60/bag shipped isn't that good of pricing.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Banned

No one is selling 50 pounds for $60 shipped that I know of except the source listed. That is two bags for $60, not one

Oh sorry. I thought that was $60 for only one bag.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Man
    In trapshooting from the 16 yard line to about the 25 reclaimed shot work great, as long as you are looking at the target and not thinking about whats in the shell. I will generally put the shot (about 25lbs at a time) in a empty 8lb powder jug and tumble in with about 1/4 graphite it seems to run thru the loader better that way. Also weigh the shot you will find sometimes the bushing will throw lite, I use a 1.125 bushing and it throws a bit over 1ounce. It seems shot fired over a field which is used for farming is lite from the chemicals they use. Shoot Well.

Boolit Buddy
    i have only ever reloaded with reclaim, i get it for $25 per 25lbs,
    i need to go buy more, i only have about 100lbs left.

its allways work well for me.
    as far it scracthing my barrel, my barrles are chrome lined, so i dont worry about it.
    hello.

I use it for skeet, works great. I get it locally for about $28 per 25 pound bag.