MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolit failure or classic Nosler partition performance?

Boolit Master

Boolit failure or classic Nosler partition performance?

For some time now I've been shooting the 311-041 with a small HP out of my various 30 cal rifles. 2400 will push this boolit to around 1800 fps in all my rifles before accuracy starts to fall off.
    These loads have proven themselves on deer several times.

Last Saturday I was setting by a tree when a two year old deer walks by. It was walking pretty fast and my window was pretty small. It was quartering away when I got the 30-40 krag lined up and touched her off. Boolit landed just in front of the diaphragm on the entrance side and came out just behind the opposite shoulder.

Entrance hole in the ribs showed moderate expansion. Exit hole was 30 cal or thereabouts.
    Insides looked like a bomb went off.
    At the shot the deer made a few quick steps, approx 10' before stopping all humped up. Trees blocked my view of the shoulder I could only see the hindquarters. What seemed like minutes but was probably only seconds it fell over. It was dead when I got to it.

Ive seen this same performance from Nosler partitions. Abrupt expansion with the nose peeling off and the shank punching right on thru.
    While I like a bigger exit hole and have always had them in the past I have a hard time calling this a boolit failure.

Opinions?
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

He's dead...I'd say it worked perfectly.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master

Entrance, exit, damage in between......what else do you want?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    If you look at the GB's I run thru MiHec, you will see hollow points. I have written about their Nosler partition like performance many times....... the same as you have just descibed. Basically the nose blows off to the base of the hollow point and the base continues on thru the animal. Quick clean kills...... Not boolit failure.

Boolit Master
    Given an option I always shoot for the shoulder. In the past ive suspected my bigger exit holes were made more by bone fragments than boolit.
    The reason I like HPs is for the times no heavy bone is hit. At my velocity, 1700/1800 fps they work for me. Increase the velocity and they could be overly destructive.

Boolit Grand Master
    to me that would be perfect boolit performance
    I mainly shoot for a classic behind the shoulder shot
    that would be ideal for me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Good boolit performance. Nothing to complain about there.

Vendor Sponsor

I used the Nosler 250gr partition in .44 Magnum, it does the same thing. Extreme damage internally, with complete penetration. I have yet to recover one. The partition bullets were designed with African big game in mind, and they work very well. You have to figure that most boolits that penetrate fully do this with not much expansion, and the partition captures the best performance of a solid and a hollowpoint, all in one boolit. Have to give credit where credit is due, they work and they work very well. Sounds like yours gave a good accounting of itself!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I would be happy. What was the alloy and was it air cooled?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds to me like it worked perfectly .. That is the actual performance I am looking for As I take (whenever possible) the classic Heart lung shot
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I would be happy. What was the alloy and was it air cooled?
    My particular alloy is 1WW-2 pure with a scootch of tin. Air cooled.BHN of 10 but to be fair my first old batch of WWs were hard, bhn of 16. The WWs I'm getting now are much softer. My next batch will be 50/50+2%

I like a bhn of 10 to 12

I shoot this same alloy in my 45 colt also with a hybrid cup point by Eric. When hitting heavy bone I've found chunks of the nose as far as 12" from the entrance wound. At my velocity of 1000 fps once soaked in salt water the meat will clean up with only the hole being lost.

At my speeds I've found that a small HP is a big help when bone isn't hit but isn't that detrimental when it is. It also helps if the range is getting on the long side and impact velocity is lower.

Where I hunt that's not an issue but my neighbor shot one a couple years ago beyond 200 yds.
    First shot knocked it down but it got back up. Second shot put it down for keeps. One shot was a pass thru with a good exit hole. The other was a raking shot with 20 inches of penatration. Boolit was perfect mushroomed lodged in the hide on the far side.
    Rifle was a 30-06 with a muzzle vel of just under 1800. I'm not smart enough to figure impact velocity but it had to be low.

If I hunted where these kind of shots were probable I would approach cast from a different angle.
    Slower powder, higher velocity etc.

I had close to the same thing happen with a serria 120gr bullet out of my 25-06 the shoot was a large buck in very thick brush, at about 20ft. it entered his chest the jacket was in his hind quarter , dead in about 2 steps. when I ask Serria what had happened there belief was that the bullet hit at such a high rate of speed that it could not hold together after hitting the bones in the chest,

I would say that the bullet did not fail dead is what you are after

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I used the Nosler 250gr partition in .44 Magnum, it does the same thing. Extreme damage internally, with complete penetration. I have yet to recover one. The partition bullets were designed with African big game in mind, and they work very well. You have to figure that most boolits that penetrate fully do this with not much expansion, and the partition captures the best performance of a solid and a hollowpoint, all in one boolit. Have to give credit where credit is due, they work and they work very well. Sounds like yours gave a good accounting of itself!
    xxxxxxx
    Not...John Nosler designed the partition after a bullet failure while hunting moose in B.C. I do not know what flavor the bullet was that failed. I don't recall that info being supplied. I suspect it was a standard "cup & core" bullet and failed due to a high velocity impact. His rifle was chambered for the .300 H&H. It took him a number of tries before the partition came out of his efforts. I believe the partition was the 1st "premium" bullet on the market, at least one made in the USA. The brits had a number of highly regarded bullets, generally solids that were used and recommended for Africa. I don't believe standard "soft" bullets were recommended until the USA developed premium bullets hit the market (Nosler, Barnes, Swift, Bear Claw, etc). Norma and other european ammunition makers followed the Americans re: premium, controlled expansion "soft" bullets. FWIW Pilgrim

Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    He's dead...I'd say it worked perfectly.
    I'll +1 this.

It sounds like your boolit performed beautifully. Now what you need to do is cast about about 100 or so and send them to me for extensive testing.

Shoot I'll even run them through some water jugs and phone books for you and take pics.

Boolit Master
    I've used the 311041 and the 311291 "soft nosed" in a couple 30 caliber guns. I cast the nose to the driving band of pure or nearly pure lead. Then pour in a harder base of at least Lyman #2, but may use Linotype. I normally try for around 2000 fps muzzle speed. My 30-30 14inch Contender doesn't always get that fast in cold weather. BUT the base seems to penetrate quite well and the nose expands to cause massive damage on its way thru!

Boolit Master
    congrats on the harvest. My son and I put a lot of hours in the woods and did not see a thing to shoot! Some times that happens when your hunting ground must have perfect weather conditions.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Jay
    I shot the first deer that came by and passed on some others first weekend. Too small, too hard to get out, whatever reason. I haven't see a deer since.
    Hopefully muzzle loader season will see them more active.

partitions are for bigger game then deer to start with......they are designed to hold up on big critters NOT deer......call the plant.........that is why they make balistic tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! trying to get a cast bullet to do what a wrong application jacketed bullet to do just doesn't make sense......shoot a flat faced Ranch Dog 165 gr bullet if you shoot 30 cal and it will smack down Mulies like a ballistic tip Nosler and it works good on black bears with one shot kills...twice the meplat of a what your shooting...........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Boolit Master
    Upon skinning this deer the entrance hole thru the ribs was pretty big. Probably 3/4" or so. The exit hole thru the ribs was at least 45 cal with most of the chunks of the nose between the ribs and the hide. I believe this boolit mostly held together until it met the opposite hide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast