RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: 454423 load data?

Boolit Buddy

454423 load data?

Looking for load data for this bullet in both 45 acp and 45 C. Can anybody point me to a good source? Thanks!

Hodgdon.com...tons of data for different weights.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Accurate also has data including 45auto +p.

Boolit Master
    A little light reading for you.

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByC...0.45%20ACP.pdf (RUGER loads only)

I use the GB452423 over Unique in my 45 ACP revolvers and like the loads.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 11-24-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Properly identify loads.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master
    A caution....due to short overall lengths, Beagle's 45 ACP/Auto Rim data is HOT, and exceeds Plus P levels in ACP/Auto Rim. If you don't have a Blackhawk, it's best not to duplicate those loads at those OAL's. What he did is likely fine if you do it as he did, including using the same revolver.

Do not duplicate the 7.5 Unique/452423 load unless you have a chronograph and work up from well below. I get 975 fps using 6.8 grains, and that's past Plus P, too. This in a Smith 625 5".

Boolit Grand Master

The cautions from 35Remington should be heeded. The heavier loads should NOT be used in any 1917 or any other Smith revolver made before 1950. A number of 1917 revolvers have failed (they are not heat treated like the later revolvers are and are properly considered "Tender" by knowledgeable people). Further, the often recommended load of 7.5 grs. of Unique is more than I want to put through my personal 625-6 and 625-8 .45 ACP's.

My heavy bullet of choice is the Lyman 454424 (mine is a correct copy by NOE) a 250 gr Keith ahead of 7.0 grs of Unique. That chronographs at 900+ fps in my 5" Model 625-6 Model of 1989. I stopped there, as that is ENOUGH.

That same bullet (454424) in a .45 Colt gets 8.5 grs of Unique for about the same performance and excellent accuracy, too. I consider the 454424 bullet a superior design to the 454423 (three full driving .100" thickness) for those .45 ACP revolvers that will handle that length. There are some short cylindered .45 ACP revolvers that might have a problem with this bullet length. For those, then the shorter 454423 would be the choice.

At any rate, to clarify, both bullets will work well at the same loads I have mentioned above, but I will NOT exceed the 7.0 grs of Unique load for the .45 ACP. That gives the performance level of the old government load for a Black Powder .45 Colt load and according to government tests of the time (1873) will shoot through a horse at 100 yards. That is SERIOUS performance with the much better shape of the Keith bullets will result in MUCH better terminal results than the original .45 Colt bullet.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

I shot 7.0 Unique ONCE in my 1937 (1917 Brazilian contract) and that was all I
    was willing to risk. Never was brave (dumb?) enough to go to 7.5 gr.

My personal max with that boolit and powder in 1917s is 6.5 Unique, plenty hot enough.
    Generally do not load to that level, they are very old guns and no need to
    bust them up. I have Rugers to shoot if I feel the urge to hotrod the .45 ACP/AR.

Interestingly, as I went from around 5.5 up to 7.0 Unique, groups progressively
    tightened and moved from 6" left and all on for elevation to about 1" left at the 7.0 level.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.