RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Magma Mark 8 Bullet Master

Magma Mark 8 Bullet Master

Anyone running one? I was thinking about LOOKING into one... Any issues you need to watch for while its running? I was looking for a older model but they are hard to find.

is the FFL 06 required to purchase one?

Thanks, Matt

Boolit Master

There is no license needed to purchase the machine. If you start selling bullets then you need to have an FFL license. I have no experience with the machines. Do a search on this site as these machines are discussed quite often.

Banned
    Like stated above no license needed. One thing to consider...if your thinking along the lines of making a killing selling bullets remember there is a large investment in purchasing the commercial machines plus the quantity of lead needed. I pushed the pencil on this and it looks to me like the return isn't much when you consider the overhead,equipment, and raw material.

I am not looking to make any money on selling boolits. I just want a nuff of em for me and my 3 buddy's. We shoot sub machine guns and I do not like feeling guilty abut holdng the trigger down.... I would probably donate some to my gun club for dinner auction events.

just looking for feedback from people that have them... Maintance, issues, how often do you need to be watching them? I have 2 magma auto sizers that are really old but work great, 2 dillon 1050s and a Ballisticast Mark X.... I just want to limit the time I have in casting..

It's expensive but I do not have to rely on anyone this way. Plus I'm 32 years old... I can probably get 30 years of use outta it.

Thanks, Matt

Boolit Buddy
    Damm, I am 62, is it time for me to quit?

I figure 30 years of machine guns....well.....maybe the fun would be worn off?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Labanaktis View Post
    I figure 30 years of machine guns....well.....maybe the fun would be worn off?
    Well, all I can say is enjoy. The Magma or the Ballisti-cast machines will take care of your needs. Seen both run and they do a fantastic job and will provide years of service.

Last time I spoke to Magma they told me the wait list to buy a bullet master was at 2 years!! that was about 6 months ago when i was putting together my business plan and budgeting out costs.

Balisticast has no wait times, but their machines are now made by someone else so you can skip Bill and go right to Keith at Northern Valley for them. There may even be a way to upgrade your mark X to a II (I believe is the same frame).

Hardline told me they are testing their machines out and won't be shipping for quite some time. In the meantime their molds look good and work on any of the three machines and they have a universal sprue plate that also works with all three.

You can also occasionally come across some used machines.

I was going to call them tomorrow and see where the lead time is at. 2 years would not work for me. I have been looking for a used one but no luck so far.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 2012 Ballisticast Mark 2 for sale but can't list it yet due to post count. I am not far off and will list it soon on the for sale for around 9,000 with two sets of molds and a magma pot.

I have a Magma Mark 6 Bullet Master machine. There's a video of it running somewhere on this forum. They are not a "turn on and forget" machine. They have to be constantly tended. When you think it's running smooth and try to do something else and not pay attention to it, it will shear a pin or do something else to mess things up. They also eat a lot of lead, so you'll need to have a very steady supply of alloy available. I've been buying reclaimed shot a ton at a time and smelting it into 14 pound ingots to feed the machine with, since I can get it for .80 cents a pound, or $1,600 a ton, if I buy it a ton at a time.

It takes a set of 8 molds for the machine, and that's $740.00, if purchased new from Magma.

There are also electronics involved in pour timer and sensors. You'll also need a source for compressed air to provide the 120 psi to make the machine run.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but it's just not a matter of turning on the machine and walking away. It will turn out a lot of bullets in a short period of time, once you get it running properly, and have enough alloy to keep it running.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: See if this link works for you: http://vid1134.photobucket.com/album...Machine009.mp4
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Thanks for the insight Fred! I know they eat lead.... But they do cast perfect boolits! That's what I'm after....lots and lots of perfect boolits.

Thanks for the video to. I'll take a peek at it a few different times. If I do go down the Magma road I gotta save for a little longer.

Thanks, Matt

Matt,

Keep an eye out for a used machine. You can usually get them for about half price and will normally have some extras included. When I bought my machine, I got 117 molds with it, plus a Lube Master, a Master Pot, a rusted up Star Sizer, a Master Caster and 3,500 pounds of lead. It was a "going out of life" sale, and the heirs had no use for any of the equipment. The machines needed a lot of work and some parts, but they're working pretty well now. The MA Systems collator has been the biggest headache, but it's getting closer to working all the time........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

It would be nice to find a used one but pretty much impossible

I ran 2 magma casters for 5 years it takes a little getting used to but they are great machines. Most of what you learn is sounds and things to watch for. I made over 15 million bullets in 5 years with them. Zinc is your worst nightmare, once you get the hang of it you can make a lot of shinny bullets fast.

Boolit Buddy
    I know this is an old thread but want to add an update. I just flew to AZ to check out the shop and order my machines. Currently the wait isn't long on a Mark 8. They had two ready to go today and I ordered one of those along with a lube master. The molds are what may take a while. I still have to pick those out. I'm looking forward to getting mine.

Good news! Congrats on your machines!

Im still looking for a used machine if anyone has one

thx, Matt