Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: What Lever and Revolver Have Chose To Keep?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 Mag handgun and rifle

82 38.86%
  • .44 Mag handgun and rifle, along with the 444 Marlin option

53 25.12%
  • 45 Colt handgun and rifle

63 29.86%
  • 45-70

13 6.16%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Levers, Revolvers, Combo's you use?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    32-20 makes a fun revolver/rifle combo, as does 38-40 and 44-40. Odd how the rifles that started the concept weren't included in the poll.
    I was wondering the same thing as those were the original offerings for both rifle/carbine and revolver in such combinations as Winchester 73 or 92 and Colt SAA.

While owning several revolvers and a lever action carbine in 45 colt, I think the handgun-and-rifle in a single cartridge concept isn't as useful as it first appears.

For best results on target you are more than likely going to end up with separate molds, loads and possibly even sizers for each gun. In 45 Colt you may not even be able interchange brass between the two due to the variances in chamber dimensions, forcing you to full length size everything and over work the brass. If that's the case, having them chambered for the same cartridge isn't much of an advantage.

in the field I would find it more useful to be carrying a center fire rifle/22lr handgun or 22lr rifle/center fire handgun than a rifle and handgun in the same cartridge.

-ktw

Quote Originally Posted by ktw View Post
    While owning several revolvers and a lever action carbine in 45 colt, I think the handgun-and-rifle in a single cartridge concept isn't as useful as it first appears.

For best results on target you are more than likely going to end up with separate molds, loads and possibly even sizers for each gun. In 45 Colt you may not even be able interchange brass between the two due to the variances in chamber dimensions, forcing you to full length size everything and over work the brass. If that's the case, having them chambered for the same cartridge isn't much of an advantage.

in the field I would find it more useful to be carrying a center fire rifle/22lr handgun or 22lr rifle/center fire handgun than a rifle and handgun in the same cartridge.

-ktw

I was expecting the same thing with my 92 rifle and cattleman pistol but strangely enough both chamber each other's brass unsized just fine. Both like there brass loaded unsized with a .454 200gr boolit or a .454 round ball, small grease cookie and full case of black powder.
    I think I just got really lucky!
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

Quote Originally Posted by Expanman View Post
    All of the above.

You didn't include that option in your poll.
    +1
    -and I actually don't do the 444
    Others have mentioned the 32-20, 38-40, 44-40 and 454.

Well let's see, which ones did you miss
    22LR in revolver, semi auto, lever, single shot - handgun and rifle
    222 in handgun - contender and rifle
    223 in handgun (contender) and carbine/rifles
    30 carbine in handgun (revovler and single shot) and carbine
    9x19 in handgun, carbine, SMG
    375 Big Bore - Contender and rifles
    45 acp in handgun and carbine

and that's just in my experiences.

And KTW is correct in a lot of hunting situations I like a good rifle with some reach
    and a 22LR handgun.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    The reality, given todays excess play money, boyz toyz, 15 seconds of fame mentality, nothing is off the table. I especially like the 2 different 600NE in Encore/Contender platform youtubestupids.

Banned

you forgot the 7-30 water levergun and 7-30 waters TC handgun option.

ADMIN

I own rifle/pistol combos in the following calibers

22lr
    32/20
    38/357 mag
    41 mag
    45 colt
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master

Hadn't really considered the Contender pistol/rifle combo but it seems I have those bases covered in .223 and 35 Rem. Didn't consider it because I don't carry a rifle when I carry a Contender pistol, they outshoot most rifles so the rifle would just be unnecessary baggage. My 32-20 rifle has a crappy bore so I can't say whether it likes the same ammo my revolvers like. My 45 Colt Trapper does OK with the ammo my RBH likes but the Trapper doesn't get out much so it's a moot point as well.
    Common chambering of a handgun and a rifle in an interesting concept but it may make as much sense as a marketing concept as any other.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Older Marlin pre-crossbolt safety and S&W 627 first version. Close second, but not in the poll... Marlin .41 mag pre-crossbolt safety and S&W 657.

Boolit Master

For me, a Rossi .44 mag cowboy rifle and Ruger SBH shortened to the end of the ejector rod housing and mag-n-ported. That's what I voted for.

I would also have voted for my wife's combo if it would have allowed, a Ruger old model .357 mag Blackhawk and Rossi carbine.

Yes, I also own a Marlin cowboy in .45-70, but since we're talking long gun / handgun combos (I think), this is not a consideration. I just don't have a need for a handgun of any type in .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

38/357 here, 1894C and 586. Same loads shoot great in both so there is no need to load separate ammo for each one.

And while I don't have a 22lr revolver. I do have a lot of rifles an pistols chambered for it.

I have a Winchester Model 94 trapper chamber in .45LC and a Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC. And then I have a Marlin GBL Guide Gun in 45-70. Both levers I love. Both are very accurate. I've had the 94 for at least 15 years now I guess. I do have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .357 Mag that I need to match up with a lever and I have a Stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag with a 10.5" barrel. I need a lever for her as well. And yes, this is my first post. Just found this site and been looking back at some of the older threads.

In Remembrance
    I just don't have a need for a handgun of any type in .45-70

I didn't realize need had anything to do with it. lol

Boolit Buddy
    1873 32WCF and Ruger Buckeye .32-20/.32 H&R Magnum.
    1873 38WCF and Ruger Buckeye .38-40/10mm.
    .22 rifles and .22 revolvers.

TXGunNut--Our .32-20 rifle has a horrible bore. Shoots jackets straight and needs filler for lead. Have you tried filler?

45 colt combos for me. I used to dabble in smaller calibers, but there is just something special when it comes to the 45 colt. Although if I ever do get back to a decent place financially I intend to redabble in other caliber combos again.

Banned
    I have a 44 mag Rossi 92, and I'm working on getting a set of 44 special Uberti Cattlemans for CAS.

Boolit Master
    I have combos in .22LR, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt, and a couple rifles in .45-70. They all get used a lot, but I had to vote .357 just because I use that caliber slightly, and I mean VERY slightly more than the rest. Next would be .45 Colt, and then .44 Mag. A few years ago I would have said .22LR, but in light of the current situation...
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    I am shocked that no mention was made in the poll of the 41 Rem.mag,i happen to have a blackhawk and a Marlin.
    Like others i will leave the 45-70 pistol for others,it just seems to hurt in my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both 38/357 combo and 45colt combo. Now I just need a 22 or 22mag combo.

Had 41 combo but had to sell about a year ago.

Boolit Master
    I have combos in 22 LR, 357 and 44 magnums (30/30 and 45/70 rifles also.) The 44 guns are MY preference, but the 357 has a lot going for it...especially east of the Mississippi river. The current availability and price of 22 LR is ridiculous.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast