Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Mould Kal Tool & Die for Pedersoli Gibbs

Boolit Master
    Salt you should be able to do it with two patches crossed giving 4 sides. However I would also suggest a Chase patch which is used by a good many muzzle loading Slug guns, as another option. Just A thought.
    KW.

Quote Originally Posted by ResearchPress View Post

The leftmost cartridge (from the headstamp) is Westley Richards No. 2 Musket. The two on the right are Gibbs No. 1.

David
    David, is the copper plated bullet the same size as the PP bullets?
    I suspect my Gibbs is supposed to use the plated one since it is such a late 461 although it is sighted for the 360gr bullet.
    I am just wondering if the plating is thin and pliable enough to allow the bullet to bump up as a patched one will.

Boolit Master
    Just an aside. Glad to see you are back and posting again, Kenny. Hope your recovery is proceeding on schedule.

The copper jacketed bullet appears close to the PP in size. c1895 Gibbs and Fremantle were experimenting with such .46 bullets in 540-570 grains, with smokeless powders. In 1896 though the NRA changed its rules for 'Any rifle' to be of a maximum bore of .315, rendering continuance with the larger calibre obselete for match rifle shooting and effectively bringing an end to the black powder match rifle.

David
    www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Historical firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Boolit Master
    Bent,

thanks, recovery is very slow, I still can not walk, or at least they won't let me yet, a lot of nerve damage along with the trauma of the shattered leg. I did not lose the leg or get frost bite in the 2 hrs laying in -14 deg weather, it may of actually helped. Still can not figure out how it only got the leg and not killed me, lucky is all I can say.

KW

Boolit Master
    David, so in 1896 that killed BP shooting in the UK. I know Foulke was the last winner with BP in the U.S.

KW

Waiting on mine to come from KAL, sure hope it works this good for me
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Kenny, yes the 1896 rule change brought about what we'd probaly regard as the 'golden era of black powder'... times were changing though and as noted some had been experimenting with smokeless powders in the .45 cal rifles. By then as well the military rifles had changed and .315 was regarded by the NRA as the largets practicable military calibre.

David

David,
    Is there any information out there on the thickness of the copper "jacket"?
    Sure would be a fun project to copper plate some boolits of the proper shape and weight.
    For now, I will stick with paper patched. Sure makes a Metford barrel look purty.

Can't find anything on the coppper jacket, but the bullets were 94% lead : 3% antimony : 3% tin.

David

Boolit Buddy

Saltner,

I also shoot a Gibbs and I'm curious, what type of rear sight are you using? Mine still wears the Pedersoli sight it came with but I'm thinking of changing to one of Lee Shavers rear sights as the "tunnel" through the eye cup is awfully long and requires adjustment of the staff angle as ranges increase to get a clear sight picture.

Craig
    Live Free or Die Death is not the worst of all evils

I have the original diopter Pedersoli, i know that according to the distance should be adjusted the tilt of the diopter, but i shoot only 110-220 yards and did not have to adjust anything. Maybe 550 you should adjust the inclination to see better.
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Boolit Master
    Please ignore if this is too far off topic. What paper do you folks prefer? I used to use 100% rag but that seems all gone. I still try to use 25% but don't actually know if it matters. Not enough real shooting experience with newer papers to know.

Quote Originally Posted by 45bpcr View Post
    I also shoot a Gibbs and I'm curious, what type of rear sight are you using?
    I've used my Ped. Gibbs out to 1200 yards and not experienced any problems with the original sight supplied with the rifle (I have twice won our clubs 30 shot 1,000 yard match with this set up). www.longrangerifles.co.uk

David

I have a KAL Gibbs mould. I use it for a core mould to swage these Gibbs bullets for the .44-77 and the .44-90bn 2-5/8.
    I just swaged the jacketed bullet using a .022 jacket wall. pretty good match to the one above. The Gibbs shoots quite well at the midrange matches as well as the 1000 yard gong matches. It's a good bullet.

Boolit Mold
    To what dimension do you size your bullets to when you using paper wrap??? What size do you size your bullets to when just using lubed bullets??

Boolit Master
    I size my bullets to .450-.451 for ppb.

Lubed bullets? Whatever for?

Vendor Sponsor

For my Pedersoli Gibbs I get a good fit - not too tight but enough with patched bullets wrapped to about .449" I say about because mic'ing paper wrapped bullets is an exercise in soft touch v a little squeeze - subjective it is.
    A good fit with GG bullets in my Gibbs IS .449"

Another rifle barrel may need something different. However, I think Pedersoli held specs. close to this. I used provide Joe Hepsworth (for his mail order catalog sales) with ready to shoot bullets for this model rifle and he nor I ever heard they did not work.

The old British rifles were classically larger at 0.451" but not in all rifles. Best is what you find works.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Every Pedersoli I have played with had a very tight bore. My Gibbs came with a .448 sizing die and needed it. It is definitely some that has to be fitted for each rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    I know a husband and wife that both shoot their own pedersoli gibbs, and need a differend diameter bullet for each rifle.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast