WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Mould Kal Tool & Die for Pedersoli Gibbs

Boolit Master
    I think the cross patch system would totally eliminate irregular detachment of the patch on exiting the muzzle. Whether that matters depends on how often that actually happens with a rolled patch. I would think very seldom if it is properly done. It is arguable, I suppose, that a single layer of paper will locate the bullet more centrally in the bore than a double layer.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Well actually when you've got a proper rolled on patch of paper that isn't to thick, when the bullet exits the barrel all there is of the patch is basically small strips of confetti. The only "strip" of paper that's left might be what was folded over the base.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

If you look at this high speed video you will see exactly what a patched bullet does after it leaves the barrel. go down th the BPSU shot and put it on full screen and set the resolution to HD http://www.svartkrutt.net/news/nh_vis.php?id=21 as soon as the bullet shows up at the muzzle pause it and do this several times as the bullet moves across the screen. Very interesting.

Boolit Buddy
    There appears to be a perfect seal there too, some others I have seen seen show smoke before the bullet exits, although they might have been grease groove.

Boolit Master
    Try handling those little strips of paper on a windy day. No fun and not a real option on the windy dusty, ranges of Raton, Phoenix.

KW

I don't have a front stuffer with a falls muzzle, but I do shoot at our local matches with my Hawken and flint southern mountain rifle against guys that use cross patches in their rifles. They put a pinhead drop of superglue in the center of their cross patches at home and they say that it makes handling them much easier at the range. One guy has a second plate that covers the patch so the wind don't blow it around and it also serves as a trim guide for cutting his long strips he uses.

Boolit Master
    Well I do have front stuffers with false muzzles and the cap you mention, and I still maintain the challenge to deal with the thin paper strips in very windy conditions. Have been shooting slug guns for about 4-1/2 years.

I find it of interest, when someone offers options on something they have never done, using the top cap to cut the patches for length would way to short on my rifle's bullet.

My 40 is very accurate at 200 yards, but the winds play hell with it at 300. I shot my first perfect score last year at Phoenix at 100 yards. 100-4x it was good enough for 3rd place. 100-8x took top honors.

KW

Relax Kenny.

I just said what I see the locals do and it works for them. The top plate they use for cutting the long strips is made the diameter they need to patch their bullet. They use a straight razor and draw it up from the underside of the plate. I don't shoot the slug guns but that don't mean that I cant see what works for those that use them.

Kurt

Boolit Master
    Kurt,
    i am relaxed, I shared actual experience, dealing with with that blows hard enough to blow a whole tin of patches off ones slug gun loading bench, you shared an opinion, which I disagree with based on actual experience, get over it, your talking about something you have never personally done.
    KW

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I don't have a front stuffer with a falls muzzle, but I do shoot at our local matches ... against guys that use cross patches in their rifles.
    One guy has a second plate that covers the patch so the wind don't blow it around and it also serves as a trim guide for cutting his long strips he uses.
    I find it of interest, when someone offers options [opinions?] on something they have never done, using the top cap to cut the patches for length would way to short on my rifle's bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Relax Kenny.
    I just said what I see the locals do and it works for them. The top plate they use for cutting the long strips is made the diameter they need to patch their bullet.
    Kurt,
    i am relaxed, I shared actual experience, dealing with with [wind?] that blows hard enough to blow a whole tin of patches off ones slug gun loading bench, you shared an opinion, which I disagree with based on actual experience, get over it, your talking about something you have never personally done.
    Actually, it appears that Kurt has merely described something that he has personally observed, something that Wasserburger has not done, or even heard of.

Wasserburger is clear that he feels Kurt should not opine on something he has not actually experienced, but Wasserburger is not at all shy about expressing his opinion on a practice that he has not "personally done"... or even seen being done.

Considering the force with which Wasserburger assails Kurt for entertaining us with his observations, I suspect he may be the actual source of that big wind which blows across his bench.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 02-07-2015 at 03:39 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Charlie, if you think I am using force, then your hide has got pretty thin. Upside you at least spelled my name right this time. That is progress. Thanks for doing all that work cutting pasting ect. And interjecting on cross patching, I guess you do a lot of cross patching with a false muzzle too? Or was it a chance to jump in and be your as usual charming self? So what sage advice do you offer? Oh and just for record the wind last year at Phonenix had little to do with my wind, one day we never got a shot off due to the wind snapping the legs off the target backstops.

KW

PS I await another one of your wonderful windy replys, trust me the disregard you hold me, no where equals mine for you.

Come on now Kenny. This not called for. If my post bothers you that much I can delete it.

Kurt

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Or was it a chance to jump in and be your as usual charming self?
    Yep, that was pretty much it. Thought I would 'draw fire' a little to take some heat off of Kurt.

PS ... trust me the disregard you hold me, no where equals mine for you.
    I have been told I am not alone ...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Nor am I Charle, when it comes to you.

Kurt you post does not offend me, I disagree with what you mentioned, that's all. And I stated as such, trying to handle those thin strips of paper is very difficult in real windy conditions, been there, to get from your tin to the false muzzle then keep them in place plus put the retaining cap you mentioned on and not lose those patches is difficult.

Chuck jumps in self admits to take some imagined Heat shows he is just looking for a fight. True colors never shown.

KW

Boolit Master

Really K. Dubyah... You want to start an argument over strips of paper blowing in the wind??? Really unbelievable!

To the other gentleman perusing this thread, I do apologize. This is an interesting thread with a lot of good input. Do not let one member spoiled with his own opinion of himself mute your discussion.

The pictures and description were great by the way.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    To change the subject a bit, Kenny, how does that cross patched rifle compare with your cartridge guns at 200 yds or 40 rods?

Thanks,

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Not having the right to express an opinion on people who practiced perversions must be a strain. I wonder if there is any reason not to keep the patches as one long strip of paper with short ones pasted across it at the correct intervals, and tear them off one at a time? You could even play the sneaky trick of having a wide false muzzle, to tear them off against the sharp edge. Still, I must admit that I have never done it.

But what i posted !!!
    I could not imagine that the tred to warm up so much.
    Attention friends, with this heat is the patches that the strips crosswise burn.
    As we say to me all goes into a cow to say the professional women of the street.
    However i am puzzled use the strips to the open field of fire with the wind, but you can prepare already glued to facilitate the loading operation.
    I want to build a false muzzle and try my Gibbs, but i'll have to superimpose 4 strips to reach the exact sizing.
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

Boolit Master
    I simply stated I disagred with Kurt, based on my own personal experienced with Slug gun shooting with Triditional Cross patching,.
    Chris, they are very accurate, but on par with my world record pp group shot in the 5@200.
    hope that answers your question.
    KW

Boolit Master
    Thanks Kenny.

Chris.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast