Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Shotgun problem: 97 Winchester

Boolit Buddy

Shotgun problem: 97 Winchester

I dug out a couple of '97 Winchesters with the idea of remodeling one as a "traveling gun": short-barreled takedown.

The logical candidate for this is a well-used but solid gun, with one major problem (a bunch of minor problems, but most of these would be handled in the conversion). The slide release doesn't work. Any suggested fixes before I part it out and move on to the next candidate?

Thanks,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
    I dug out a couple of '97 Winchesters with the idea of remodeling one as a "traveling gun": short-barreled takedown.

The logical candidate for this is a well-used but solid gun, with one major problem (a bunch of minor problems, but most of these would be handled in the conversion). The slide release doesn't work. Any suggested fixes before I part it out and move on to the next candidate?

Thanks,
    Jim
    If you are talking the button on the right rear of the receiver then the hammer either has to be at full cock or all the way down for it to work. It won't work with the hammer on safety notch. You still may need to push the forend forward a little at the same time to get it to release.

Eutectic

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply!

I guess I could have been more clear about my background with '97s, and described the problem better. But in almost 40 years of shooting one or another, this is the first time I've had a problem that doesn't involve the extractors.

Hammer down, the slide works fine (no need for the slide release). At half-cock, the slide is locked up and the slide release won't release it. That's all normal. With the hammer at full-cock and the slide all the way forward (as if a round was chambered), when I press the slide release the slide stays locked. Slide release button movement and feel is the same as a functioning slide release when the gun is on half-cock. When the hammer is at full-cock on a functioning shotgun, the slide release button feels sort of "springy"--on the non-functioning slide release, the button comes to a hard stop with no further movement into the action.

Hope that description makes sense to someone, I'm not sure it does to me and I had both shotguns right in front of me as I wrote it!

Jim

You need to pull out the carrier. Make sure you remove the little screw just behind the hammer on the left... that prevents the carrier pin from falling out. Push out the pin and remove carrier. Look at where the slide lock button pushes. Clean any dirt, sludge, out. Remove the slide lock release plunger. It is a small bar with two different length pins on it. Clean and make sure it is operational. You will see the actual slide lock down on the lower left side of the carrier. As you push on the plunger it will move in and when released it will come back out. Look at the front and it should protrude a little under 1/16" when not pushed. Sometimes old worn 97's don't want to stay locked when you close them. It is common for a gunsmith to bend the front area of the action slide lock to stick out more. Maybe .010" or so. It it sticks out too far the slide lock button won't work. The slide lock is hardened so care must be taken to bend it. If this doesn't fix it you have bigger problems somewhere and a 97 'eye' would have to inspect it.
    Hope it's just dirt and gunk.

Eutectic

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot.