Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: new revolver 45 Colt

Boolit Buddy

new revolver 45 Colt

Looking up the specs on the cartridge, it's dia is 454. Looking for molds, dies, sizer finding mostly at 452. Is this right? Thought dia was supposed to be larger? Not new to reloading just this cartridge.

Banned

Ditto: me too, bought a mix of dillon & lee dies from ebay. Want a cartidge gage now. I have 200 gr. lymans & some wax bullets. Bought brass on Casboolit forum. Have federal primers. Got alot to learn, no hurry for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Most all common modern 45 colt revolvers have .451 or so barrels. Cylinder throats run from 450 to 457 unfortunately.

In an ideal world all revolvers had 4525 throats and 451 bores.

Long ago, the single action revolvers made by Colt had a barrel groove diameter of .454, but that is not the case of any revolver made by anybody since the end of WWII. Therefore the .454 you read is a hold over from days long gone. You can count on all post-war sixguns in this caliber having barrel groove diameters of .451 or .452.

However what determines size of he bullet is the diameter of the throat in the cylinder charge hole and as noted those can be all over the place. you need to determine that before buying any sizing dies or bullet molds. That is step one.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    As mentioned above the revolvers before WWII were .454 and after WWII they were more standard at .452 The above advice is correct. Determine the correct size before purchasing components.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on CharGar. . . . ultimately -- "it depends" is accurate for a LOT of stuff on the
    ancient but wonderful .45 Colt.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

No wonder I love this forum. Thanks for the great and fast info!

Vendor Sponsor

You -do- want a mold that will drop at .454" then you can size to .452" no problem. Do you have the revolver? If you are buying a Ruger, it may need the cylinder throats sized to .4525" which is most common for shooting .452" boolits. The cost for this is less than a cheap pair of grips including the shipping.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

If one acquires the revolver first, then measure the cylinder throats w/ a pin gage, prior to ordering molds/sizing dies, etc. Get an average size for the throats and use that as a guide to order mold and sizing chambers.

Remember, the artisens here will make you whatever custom size you require. The few $$ they charge is a mere pitenence! Chris made my Star dies. Tom made my molds.

FWIW, I find the latest S&W chamber mouths to be the most consistant and closer to nominal.

I have only been reloading about 8 or 9 years. .45 Colt has become my favorite revolver cartridge. I have 6 .45 revolvers I load for. After a LOT of trial & error and a steep learning curve I foind the need to ream chamber throats on only 2. What I have done is get all my stuff in .454" and size cast bullets for each gun.

Since this all started when I was early into reloading & not casting I had ordered cast bullets from several different makers. They were all .452" and they were all way too hard. Since I learned only a little and can shoot all my revolvers without leading (thank you castboolits.com!) every one of those several 1,000 hard cast I have left are sized to shoot in my various 1911s.

Cast boolits in general & the .45 Colt in particular is extremely detail oriented to get everything just right. Much more effort than jacketed.rifle loads. But with just a few tools (pin gauges are sure nice to have) and some experimenting you can find the right size for every revolver. Then you can start mixing the 100s of primer, powder & bullet combinations to find that one great load for each one, keeping in mind the bullets own variables of weight, style & hardness.

And isnt that half the fun of reloading? NOW I understand why all the old timers here told me they were just learning or didnt know much yet. I will never know everything i want to know.

It really isn't as hard as all of that. Folks have been shooting cast bullets in the 255 - 260 range over 6.5/Bullseye or 8.5 Unique for generations with good results. Hardness of Bhn 9-11 is about right and sized .452 or .454 depending on cylinder throat size.

It may be fun to reinvent the wheel, but it is't necessary.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    EMH M1892 -24" 45 Colt 443 447
    Puma 1892 -20" 45 Colt 443 449
    Uberti M1866 45 Colt 443 448
    Uberti M1860 45 Colt 441 448
    Cimarron Thunderer-5.5" 45 Colt 442 448
    Taurus Thunderbolt 45 Colt 443 448
    Uberti M1873 Cattleman-4 5/8" 45 Colt 443 448
    Ruger SSBH-4 5/8 45 Colt 442 448
    Ruger SSBH-4 5/8 45 Colt 442 448

45 Long Colt dimensions are pretty standard with manufacturers today
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

What do the numbers represent? No heading on the
    columns.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    ....It may be fun to reinvent the wheel, but it is't necessary....
    Well sure if all you want to test is 2 loads in every gun. Where's the fun in that???

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    What do the numbers represent? No heading on the
    columns.

Bill
    Yeah those sure dont look like any standard .45 colt measuremebts that I am familar with!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector_17 View Post
    Looking up the specs on the cartridge, it's dia is 454. Looking for molds, dies, sizer finding mostly at 452. Is this right? Thought dia was supposed to be larger? Not new to reloading just this cartridge.
    The original 45 colt used .454" bullets. The 45 acp uses .451" bullets.

Modern manufacturers (really since the 1970's or 80's) decided to standardize on the .451" size for both the 45 acp and modern 45 colt revolvers. So mold and sizer manufacturers have followed suit hence the preponderance of .452" molds and sizers.