RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: got my mold yesterday!

Boolit Buddy

got my mold yesterday!

Thanks to Bill*B I have a Lyman 311440 to play with. I have to clean up and stamp from my wheel weights melting yesterday, then I hope to see if my Lee 6 cavity mold handles will work. If so, I am going to do some casting today or tomorrow! Excited.

We're having fun now!

Moderator Emeritus

BEST wishes with this awesome mould! I've loaded/shot my .30WCF 94's with this boolit, using an even ten grains of Herco powder. No leading, and I can always hit a barn at 50' ; on occasion, too, a pie-sized paper plate at 100 yards -- if I do "my" work.
    Congrats and again, BEST wishes! I have Lyman handles on mine; no idea if the Lee's will work.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Used the mold today. The Lee handles fit like they were made for it. Cast some bullets, but had to stop early because the Montana/Montana State game is on tv. It cast very nice bullets for me. Really like it.

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE version of the 311440. It is the best all around boolit i have ever used in my 4 30-30's. Not very sexy looking but it sure does shoot good.I use 16grs. of 2400 in my 30-30's and any large rifle primer with a home made aluminum gas check. Hope yours shoot as well as mine does.....Terry

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	122587

Today's casting. I thought they came out pretty nice.
    Last edited by bigarm; 11-23-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking good, what are you going to shoot them in?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Remington Marlin 336

Boolit Grand Master

What diameter & weight did they drop at?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I only weighed one and it was 154 grains, on a cold scale. I did not measure the diameter. I will need to go out to the shop to do that. Will try to later. This was about 3/4 clip on wheel weights and 1/4 stick on.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, thanks. Hope it drops at least .311 for your Marlin. Good looking boolit.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought an NOE 312-440 and positively love it. Yeah, that blunt nose has the BC of a poorly thrown brick, but out to one hundred yards it shoots plenty flat. And talk about gregarious, those boolits just love to hang around together in nice small groups. Mine casts a little lighter, roughly 148 grains IIRC, but it is a dinger. 17.5 grains of 2400 works well for plinking: for hunting I load 34 grains of WW-748.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm...have a nice plinker mould for 30-30 but I think a PB version of this one will work if my present project doesn't work out.
    Going shooting next weekend, bigarm? Looking forward to a range report already. I think you have a winner there!

I will be getting into the 30 cal molds soon. I just picked up the Lyman AR loading book. They have cast data for the AR's listed. I would really like to give it a shot in the AR10.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman AR book? Interesting!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, grubbylabs. May have room for one more loading manual.
    Good to see you here more lately. You're one of a few I miss from TFL.
    The extend of my .223 loading is generally 26.5 of 748 under most any good J-word from 50-55grs...and that's for my Contender. Mouse gun gets a steady diet of PMC factory loads.
    Kicking around an AR-10 or something along those lines and will probably have to load for it.

I just picked up a new DPMS GII last spring and so far it seems to be an alright rifle. It was between it, the M&P and the Ruger. For me the DPMS one out because of more compatible parts with the AR-15.