RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NOE 225 45Gr. WFN

Banned

Were these in a .223? I'll do that when I get around to it as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Were these in a .223? I'll do that when I get around to it as well.
    No a 218 Bee.............Terry

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    No a 218 Bee.............Terry
    That's right, I forgot and didn't read back through the thread. Neat little cartridge.

I ran into scope mounting problems with my Stevens 322 I picked up, but once I get it sorted out, I plan on trying these through it. I wonder if it'll outshoot this little 219?

Boolit Master
    219??? Like in a 219 Zipper or 219 Donaldson Wasp???

Banned

Savage Model 219 in .22 Hornet. I've had it about a year now and have been impressed with it for what I've been using it for. Just about the perfect stalking rifle. I recently found another one cheap that has a ruined barrel, should be here in a day or two. Gonna have it sleeved to something else, probably .32 S&W.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ls-of-the-year

Boolit Master
    Ok now I am on the same page.. Guess I need to read back through some old posts also...........Terry

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8738.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	131069Sent some of these down range this afternoon. Five shot groups about a quarter at 50 yards. 14 gr of H4895 in a 222 rem, AL gas check, tac 1 lube. 10 degrees with a bone chilling wind.
    Last edited by CWME; 02-16-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Banned

Very nice. Maybe I should have gotten one in gas checked instead of all plain based. I like this bullet for what I'm using it for though.

Boolit Master
    CWME, nice group with your 225-45 WFN.Haven't tried that boolit in my 222 yet. I sure like the nice big hole it make in the target.............Terry

Boolit Buddy
    I almost got the plain base version but then I have the NOE 225107 in a plain base. It was tempting though...

I like the big hole too! Won't need to push these very fast to get great results on the vermin I suspect. Spring is coming right? Bet the groups will be better without the teeth chattering and the 40mph wind gusts.

Banned

I've been shooting mine real slow, but have been pretty impressed with the terminal performance of it so far on a few squirrels and one possum. That big meplat seems to hit hard for the size of bullet it is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I bought this mold with all plain based cavities and they seem to seat just fine in my Lee dies. I do use one of their Universal Expander dies first, I also use one of their neck size only dies, not sure if that means anything or not.

This bullet shoots well given what I am doing with it; light loads of Bullseye to replicate .22 LR ballistics. I've only shot it at 25 yards so far as well, which is realistic squirrel hunting distance in my experience.
    Sir could you please share your light load? I'm working with the same mold myself loading in a 22-250 no trouble seating the boolit
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned

Anywhere from 1.5 to 2 grains. The 1.5 must be subsonic, you can barely hear it. Accuracy sweet spot seems to be around 1.8. By the way, this worked well with the Lyman 225438 and the Lee Bator bullets without gas checks too. I haven't shot it much beyond 25 yards, but definitely squirrel head accurate at that range if the shooter is.

Boolit Buddy
    I sent one of these little babies into the back of a squirrels head this afternoon. It was the same load as I was shooting above but in a 221 fireball I made this winter. Holy cow, it turned his head inside out. I mean complete hamburger brains splattered all over the tree. I thought I had missed at the shot because he never moved. I looked up and he was on the tree still. I peeked back through the scope and watched him bleed out and then fall off the tree. Good thing it was a head shot and not through the shoulder, there wouldn't have been anything left.

Banned

I have only body shot squirrels with it so far, tissue damage didn't seem bad, though velocities were low. It did anchor the squirrels and put them down where they were, so yeah, that WFN nose design does transfer energy quite well.

Boolit Buddy
    I am definately hot rodding this little hammer much more than is needed. I will either hold to head shots on game with the 14 GR 4895 load or do what you have been with the BE loads. I have shot some good groups with light BE loads in the 223 and other boolits. Just figured I would share my on game results to go with my on target work above. I saw damage that is on par with light varmint bullets going 13-1400 FPS faster. I would have no second thoughts about punching a ground hog or a coyote if it was inside 100 yards with the faster load. Anyway all I am saying is this is a great little boolit that I can see filling a lot of shoes.

Banned

Is yours the gas checked version of plain based? I opted for all plain based because I wanted to shoot these light loads, but I'm curious how it would work at faster speeds.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is the GC version

Boolit Buddy
    Got some new people who moved in next door. They start screaming their fool heads off at the sound of a shot so went back to the bench for a quiet load. Been running 3.4 grains of trail boss in the .221 fireball which is quiet. The TB fills about 3/4 of the case. Shots on squirrels anchor them in place.

Banned

Don't know how close your neighbors are, but 1.5 grains of Bullseye is very quiet in a long barreled .22 Hornet and works fine even with gas check designs and no gas check in my experience. I probably wouldn't shoot it in town, but it's quieter than even a standard velocity .22 LR is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast