Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10" 30-30 Tender issues....

.30-30 chambers traditionally have very little throat. SAAMI spec. has it at 0.015" and at a 15 degree taper. All of my .30-30 boolit molds start tapering at the crimp groove and/or have bore riding nose profiles. The Lee 100 grain RN does not really have a crimp grove and while designed for .32 revolvers I believe they will work if you seat them deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by C A Plater View Post
    .30-30 chambers traditionally have very little throat. SAAMI spec. has it at 0.015" and at a 15 degree taper. All of my .30-30 boolit molds start tapering at the crimp groove and/or have bore riding nose profiles. The Lee 100 grain RN does not really have a crimp grove and while designed for .32 revolvers I believe they will work if you seat them deeper.
    +1 on 30-30 chambers with little to no throat, I plan on buying a .30 cal throating reamer from a maker in Mich after the holidays and cleaning up a 30-30 that has given me fits....can't chamber a 150gr bullet let alone a **** ton of ~145gr tracers I have set aside as "plinkers"....I had a contender barrel in 30-30 but sold it in favor of a .22 match...lot less of a headache on that one.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    I have a Super 14 in 30-30, and have used a number of boolits in it (100gr RN, 115gr RN, 130gr SP, 160gr RN, the first four here are Lyman. 180gr RFN Sil. RCBS) the only one that will not shoot well is the 180. The 180 chambers ok but it is too long for the twist rate in the contender which is 1 in 14. I bought two new Lee two cavity 150gr RFN molds. I have about a 100 of those loaded with 10 gr of unique, but have not had time to shoot any of them.

Boolit Master
    1 in 14 must be an old barrel. Newer TC 30cal barrels are 1 in 10 and will stabilize about any 30cal bullet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12