WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Which Short Action Caliber?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7mm-08 (or AI)

16 24.24%
  • .260 Rem

17 25.76%
  • .308 Win

20 30.30%

0 0%
  • 6.5/284

2 3.03%
  • .284 Win

3 4.55%
  • Other (Please Specify)

8 12.12%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage 16 Rebarrel. What short action caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    The reason I don't support it for general dual purpose ....... even though most folks view it that way ...... ...........Any out and out hunter that washes out a barrel with round life of say 1200 rounds (varmint hunters exempted) ....... is probably not going to shun a barrel change ....... they are probably more consumed with just how much game that tube delivered.
    Yep, I didn't think the .243 was a good general "dual purpose" caliber. It's kind of good to see none of y'all see it that way either.

I am one of those guys who shoots a good 500-800 rounds per year per rifle. Although it would take me longer to reach 3000 rounds. I just don't want to have to replace this barrel in 2 years. I'd rather wait a good 5-10 years before having to do so.

Although "just how much game that tube delivered" is a VERY good way of looking at things. I'll need to always keep that in mind.

Boolit Master
    I have about every caliber except 7-08. I have most of the 6.5 wildcats. The last few years I have used a short barreled 260. Before that I used a 243. I killed a lot of deer with the 243, some a long ways away, and I even tried shooting 243s in the 260. That didn't work very well. Had two boxes the same color and got the wrong box. The 260 is for my money the best balanced caliber there is. It has flat trajectory, low recoil for the power, availability of brass if you make it, wide selection of bullets, good barrel life, it doesn't destroy a lot of meat with the right bullet, doesn't burn any more powder than a 243. I form my brass by opening up 243 brass.

Quote Originally Posted by flounderman View Post
    I have about every caliber except 7-08. I have most of the 6.5 wildcats. The last few years I have used a short barreled 260.......

What's the length of your barrel and your usual load? Bullet/Powder/Velocity?

Boolit Buddy
    6.5x284 Norma or 6mm

David,

Of your selection, The 284 Win, 6x284 and 6.5x284 will be hard to find brass for. They do have a cool factor and will cause chats at the gun range and hunting lodge. They are also the most powder you'll ever get into a short action rifle that has a standard .473" bolt face. The 284 is on par with the 280 Remington, ballistic wise. There's also a 30x284 that's similar on paper to the 30'06.

The 308 Win will be the easiest brass to find and loaded ammo. It's a good overall choice. Shooting surplus NATO cartridges is also an option.

The 7'08 Rem is a nicely balanced cartridge, IMHO. I'm not certain of any advantage of the 7'08 AI over the 284 Win. I haven't much experience with the 243 Win, 260 Rem, 338 Federal or the 358 Win. They are all (including 7'08) of course, necked down or blown out wildcats (now standardized) based on the 308 Win. I've read lots of positive deer hunting posts with the cast 35 caliber slug and a 1:14" twist barrel. You might look into that.

I think for coyote hunting, you should keep the 22-250 barrel. Get a 22-250 go gauge and the correct wrench so you can swap it back with the other barrel you purchase as needed. However, you might need to have the magazine/action rails modified to get one of these wider shouldered cartridges, (especially the rebated case cartridges) to work reliably in your relatively tapered 22-250 case designed action. This is a problem with 7x57 and 8x57 Mausers converted to 7.62 CETME or 7.62 NATO.

Should be a fun project. Enjoy!
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 12-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Definitely appreciate the input. I always intended to keep the 22-250 barrel because it's a pretty popular caliber in this area. I like the idea of changing calibers without needing to upgrade the trigger, bed the action, and buy a new stock every time. This rifle has the Boyds thumbhole stock in pepper... and it's perfectly bedded to the action. It also has the accutrigger pull which I like.

I spoke with Shilen. From the time I order to receipt it will take about 2-6 months depending on which caliber we end up going with. It'll work out perfectly because my rifle barrel will arrive in time for the next deer season to start.

Banned

nothing more versatile in a short action then the good old 308

6.5 Creedmoor

257 Roberts

Boolit Master
    My vote is for the 7-08, it's basically a warmed over 7x57, and with a fast twist to handle longer heavier bullets it will do anything you ask it to! Of course the 308 is a wise chose also.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Out of your list I voted 308. It is kind of boring, but sensible, proven, components are numerous and available anywhere, and practicaly anytime.
    This is my feelings also...308 all the way
    Last edited by butch2570; 12-27-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Banned

yup why settle for a necked down less powerful version when you can have the real thing. Only thing that would change my opinion is if I already had two or three 308s. I cant think of a commercial round other then the short mags that do anything the good old 308 doesn't do as good or better.
    Quote Originally Posted by butch2570 View Post
    This is my feelings also...308 all the way

I like it when people say "The Good Old 308" It's been around for 50 years and they call it the Good Old 308. Long distance shooters have found it lacking for 1000 yard comps ever since it was created (as in, there are better choices), it's bullet has a low ballistic coefficient for past 300 yards, gut shot deer don't know the difference and the 6.5 Swede (1891), 30-30 (1895), 45-70 (1873), 7x57 (1893), and even the 22 long rifle (1887) have all taken more game than the 308 just as humanely and been around much longer. The 30-06 was designed in 1906 and is the worldwide accepted standard in a modern long action.

All of those calibers are well over twice the age of the 308. I'm sorry, but the 308 is a modern cartridge. I don't really think it's earned the status of "Good 'ol 308" yet. Not for another 50 years.

It's still a viable option for my purposes though.

Banned

well its old compared to the rest of the rounds discussed here, as to being lacking at long range? I don't know, the military snipers have used it since the Korean war and still use it. Bullets? Theres more 30 cal match bullets made then all other calibers combined so finding a good long range 308 bullet is a cake walk. Yup theres better rounds for 1000yard shooting but most all of them are long action rounds and most are specialty rounds that aren't chambered in hunting guns so they don't apply here. I don't normaly gut shoot deer so I cant comment on that statement and I too am a fan of the "good old 06" but it doesn't fit in a long action. Unless your talking wildcat rounds I cant see anything in a short action with maybe the exception of the "almost obsolete" 284win that does anything any better then the 308 when it comes to hunting big game. Yup its newer then the o6, kind of a younger brother. The 22 has taken more game humanely? I wont even bother addressing that one. 6.5 swede and the 757 are normaly long action rounds too so aren't on topic here either. Only older short action round that's a hunting round that were put in bolt guns that even comes to mind is the 250 sav or 300 sav

I voted 308 - I have a swap barrel - I have barrels in 22-250, 243, 308, 30'06 (still need 358)
    but you have short action and .30'06 is out then - 308 is very viable at 1000 yards with the right load and shooter. I have a 243 and use it out to 1000 for paper - but 308 is easy to find ammo,components and molds for, so it got my vote.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

.338-08 (.338 Federal) You can load it for anything from varmints to moose and anything in between. Won't beat up your wallet or your shoulder either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123