RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Knife Recommendation

Boolit Master

New Knife Recommendation

I've been considering getting a new "pocket" knife for some time now. I thought before I committed some of my retirement $$, I would get opinions from some of you that have more experience than I.

I've got a few pocket knives that I pick up depending on possible need. I'm not a collector, just a user. I recently lost a very small swiss army knife that was in the bottom of my shaving kit. It was confiscated by a TSA inspector along with my spare razor blades. Obviously, I don't fly much.

As to the sort of knife I'm considering, I have looked seriously at the Benchmade Adamas. A huge knife as pocket knives go but it will give you an idea of the type I am looking for. Probably wouldn't carry it often and might just leave it in the door pocket of the truck.

Any and all suggestions will be considered.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Columbia River Knife & Tool knives are well made and reasonably priced. http://www.crkt.com/
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Banned

I just got this and really like it 4.25" blade

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AWOLV8/...I2IJPXWKBAWMMF

Next one is going to be either the 5.75" Voyager plain clip point or the 4" made in USA Buck

http://www.ltspecpro.com/Product/VOY...ER_SERIES.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EI0VYS/...754ZRBQS&psc=1

Banned

I kind of like this Gerber, forget the model number but it's one of the assisted folding knives.

I processed two deer with it and gutted and quartered another before I felt I needed to sharpen it again. This pic was taken in 2007, I still have the knife and it still works great.

Banned

If you want something that's really light to take afield that will definitely allow you to gut, skin and quarter, heck dang near get it all ready to wrap and freeze, I would recommend the Piranta. It's what I toted with me all over CO incase I got an Elk and we had to debone afield to get it out.

Frosted Boolits

I like Benchmades, Kershaws, SOGS, and Gerbers. Any knife, no matter how much it cost, isn't worth a darn if it isn't sharp. I would invest in a GOOD knife sharpening kit (Lansky, Spyderco, EdgePro, etc). I use the Lansky and can easily get my $30 knives just as sharp as my more expensive knives (they may not hold their edge as long, though). Also, stropping will take your knives to the next level of sharpness.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

I have a Benchmade that I am very happy with. Mine doesn't look like anything fancy, but is very solidly made. Kind of pricey at $140, but I am satisfied with my purchase. I find the assisted-opening is especially helpful with my arthritis/neuropathy fumblefingers. I gave it the full treatment with a Lansky set about 6 months ago, and haven't needed to touch up the edge since then. YMMV, I don't use it to cut copper wire or anything like that.

Boolit Master

I'm presently carrying a Queen gunstock trapper with D2 tool steel blades. It is absolutely the best pocket knife I've ever owned! Think straight razor sharp and it stays that way longer than anything else I've ever owned!

Boolit Master

I guess I should have mentioned that I don't hunt. When I was growing up and in my younger days, there weren't enough deer in this area to hunt. The mosquitoes in Sept convinced me that squirrel hunting in the bottoms wasn't worth it. Then I got involved in career, family, etc and just never got into it. I know some of you can't imagine being interested in guns, reloading and casting and not being a hunter.

The knife I finally decide on will be a utility tool and for emergencies that I hope will never happen. BTW, the CRKT knives look very interesting.
    John
    W.TN

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...1901/202206146

This is my favorite knife. I keep a 50 pack of Irwin Blue stripe blades in my trucks, my desk at home and at school. You can flick it open or closed easily. You should buy one even if you buy a nice knife just for the utility it gives you.

You can abuse it, replace the blade and you are ready to go again.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I just received one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261609825132...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ya, I know, it came from china, but so does some of the most expensive and best cameras in the world.

I fail to see the need to spend in the 3 figures for a knife, after all what is the purpose of a knife? To cut, right? My 6 dollar knife will shave, so I guess I got more than my moneys worth.

Ya, I know, no U.S. workers involved, but they were not involved in the making of the computer I'm typing on either. Nor the $300 dollar pair of shoes on my feet.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

I have a buck. Made in USA for around 20 bucks and works just fine for a regular pocket knife.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XH...=SS115&simLd=1
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    I just received one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261609825132...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ya, I know, it came from china, but so does some of the most expensive and best cameras in the world.

I fail to see the need to spend in the 3 figures for a knife, after all what is the purpose of a knife? To cut, right? My 6 dollar knife will shave, so I guess I got more than my moneys worth.

Ya, I know, no U.S. workers involved, but they were not involved in the making of the computer I'm typing on either. Nor the $300 dollar pair of shoes on my feet.

I agree with this. Any knife that would be left in a truck, potentially confiscated by the TSA or might be lost somewhere should not be of heirloom price in my opinion. $30 buys a lot of knife these days. Some are even made here in the US.

Boolit Master
    I can't handle not having a pocket knife with me. On a trip to Colorado I was without and found and bought a CRKT Ignitor T in Sportsmans wearhouse. That was 3 years ago and it has become my everyday knife. I liked the blade shape and the steel was acceptable. It has been used almost everyday since then and has held up well. It has 2 features I really like, 1; the pocket clip carries it closed with point down, and 2 it locks closed as well as open. Lock still functions crisply. It is a fairly large knife, by my standards but rides fine in a jean pocket. It is easy to sharpen and holds a good edge. Not D2 but plenty good for a 50$ knife. I don't find it pretty, but pretty is as pretty does!
    i know many want the clip on the other end ,but I had a Benchmade(shaving sharp) lifted from my pocket by a thread on my jacket. I found the knife hanging . OPEN, blade down on my jacket. It was way to close to tender parts had I sat down or bumped into something. That knife now does not have a clip.
    My truck knife is a machete, rides under the drivers edge of the rear floor mat. Get's used for thissles, treel limbs and oher needed stuff. cost about 15$

Boolit Grand Master

New Knife Recommendation

I am a Benchmade fan and collect them. Most of them see no use at all. But there are two that do. When I'm not hunting a MiniGrip is in my pocket at all times. It's a plain edge drop point in N680. That one is made from their custom knife maker as I couldn't get one w/ orange scales and N680 any other way. When I hunting I carry a H2O Griptilian. This is the full size version in N680 w/ same blade profile. For years I carried a MiniGrip in D2 w/ a serrated drop point BK coated blade. I snapped the tip off and it worked great as a screwdriver at work the D2 was a chore to keep sharp which is why I had one built in N680.

You can't go wrong w/ any of Benchmades offerings. But I really trust my fingers to the Axis lock which is why the Grips are used heavily.

This pic doesn't do a good job of showing how much bigger the Griptilian is compared to the mini. The yellow one is the wife's and it's in 154CM.

Last edited by dragon813gt; 11-21-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Leatherman
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

It seems that I'm in good company. I've got a couple of identical Buck lockback knives that I got free with some kitchen knives I ordered from a now-defunct company in Georgia. One stays right here by the computer. I don't leave home on any trip in the car or truck w/o my original Leatherman. I have a couple of other Bucks, one is a 3 blade stockman. Too thick to carry in my jeans pocket. I also have a Gerber linerlock that I don't remember the name of. Also a leftover from younger days, a Microtech automatic. Not very practical.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Look hard at Chris Reeve Knives.
    Been carry'n a Sebenza for 15 years now. Never an issue.
    http://www.chrisreeve.com/
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Moderator Emeritus

If you don't mind used and can sharpen it I have carried around a Buck Selector for years. Regular blade,bone saw blade, and a gutting blade. Bone saw and gutting blade are swappable and the other stores in the sheath.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast