RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: One caliber vs multiple calibers in a handgun, what's your justification(s)?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    Some think of a gun as a tool [ you have more than one of them don't you?],
    Some as a toy, some as a work of art, it is up to you.
    To me they are all three and I have many.
    I like this response, and it fits my viewpoint perfectly

Boolit Buddy
    In handguns I prefer small or large primers. Simplifies logistics.

Boolit Grand Master
    I did the same as you did and went to just one cal.in handguns and the same as you as well
    I do however miss the 480 Ruger I had that cal just seems to say hunt me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by rmark View Post
    In handguns I prefer small or large primers. Simplifies logistics.
    Well what else is there?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Well what else is there?
    Small pistol magnum primers
    Large pistol magnum primers
    Small rifle primers
    Small rifle magnum primers
    Large rifle primers
    Large rifle magnum primers

And yeah, I've used each of these in pistols over the last few years.

My first center fire handgun was a Colt 357 mag. That's all I had for years, until we bought the little 32 mag. If I just went to the range and shot targets from time to time that would be all I would need for sure. Well, maybe throw in a .22 lr.

But, I can't see going to just one caliber, although it would be easier in some ways. I've tried to get my wife to switch to 38 spl, 380 ACP or 9mm, from that 32 Mag. Not going to happen. I actually like the 32 Mag and I really think it is a very good revolver caliber for most women. So, one caliber doesn't fit all needs. I have a small 380 for pocket carry but carry a 38, 9mm or 40 S&W IWB. I shoot at a couple of local USPSA matches each month. The 9mm or 40 S&W work for that. I even have the 357 SIG but haven't shot that in several years. Got that with a SIG P226 that had both the 40 S&W and 357 SIG barrels. Later bought a slide and barrel conversion in 9mm for the SIG. Great gun and handy to have in an ammo shortage, since it can shoot any of those cartridges. Can change from one to the other in less than a minute. In auto I've avoided the 10mm and 45 ACP, so far. I see both as too expensive and I don't need them. I don't want a 1911 unless I can have a nice one. And before I save up for a nice one, I've spent my money on something else. So I guess I just don't really want one very bad.

So, I say look at what you need and get that first, and if you can swing it. Get what you want. If that means more than one caliber, so be it. That's what makes the world go round.

If one caliber can do everything you need and/or want. Great, you just simplified your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    I read many posts that extol the virtues of various calibers in the same household, and ask myself the question,why?
    Years ago I made my life much simpler by standardizing on the .44 magnum as my revolver caliber. I have moulds in this caliber from 173g to 325g; therefore I can cover a wide range of uses. I have 11 revolvers in this chambering with bbl lengths and weights that run the gamut from 4" to 7-1/2", both single action Rugers(5ea) and double action Smiths(6ea). I maintain 38 boxes of at least 50 rounds each, all listed on a spreadsheet, to tell me what I have and where it is located, etc.
    Am I missing out on not owning a .357 magnum, or a 41 magnum a 45 Colt or a 454 magnum or ad naseum?
    I don't think so, but someone enlighten me, I'll listen to reason(maybe)!
    Eleven revolvers all in the same caliber??? Doesn't make much sense to me. What does your 4" .44 Magnum do that your 7 1/2" doesn't? I mean I'm OK with that, if that's what blows your skirt up, but you've hardly standardized other than from a handloading standpoint. It would make more sense to me to own the same style revolver in different calibers. Each caliber to me is unique and has its own use.

For example, when I want to plink or just burn ammunition, I cast/load .38 Specials and at 2.5 - 3.0 grs. per load, I don't worry about burning silly amounts of powder or using up my alloy for dinging my metal targets or poking holes in paper. The .38 is also the chambering for my wife's concealed carry and is my go-to cartridge when introducing new shooters to handguns.This caliber works well for CAS too. The .357, well, it's the bastard child in my house. I own three revolvers so chambered and feel it's more than necessary for target shooting, yet not quite enough for deer hunting. The .44 Special is the darling of my house. I love it and shoot it to near obscenity and it is my favorite hunting caliber. Then there's the 45 Colt. I realized today why I keep my .45 Colts; one because I enjoy the challenge of trying to make them shoot accurately (which I haven't yet) and two, because it makes all my other revolvers so much more accurate!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Do you only eat vanilla ice cream?
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
    It's all I've eaten since Thanksgiving. It's all that's been in the house

I have standardized along the lines of 38/357. A blackhawk, of which I am out right now, and a marlin 1894c. Wife has a 686, and a 380. I could tolerate a 35 caliber rifle like 35 remington or 35 whelen.

I carry a 45 automatic though, 1911A1. And im quite fond of my 22's. And my 20 gauge.

I dont fancy having a dozen calibers though. The classics, the basics, and the ones I want.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Small pistol magnum primers
    Large pistol magnum primers
    Small rifle primers
    Small rifle magnum primers
    Large rifle primers
    Large rifle magnum primers

And yeah, I've used each of these in pistols over the last few years.
    As I thought. All small or Large.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C. View Post
    Why yes, thanks for asking!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoy exploring the capabilities of new (to me) calibers. In handguns, I now load for 22 Hornet, 32H&R, 327 Fed, 357 Mag, 357 Max, 44 Special, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 44-40, and a Colt 1860 44. I cast for all except for the Hornet, a very accurate Contender. Can't see any advantage to limiting my handgun calibers except that I am running out of MTM ammo box color selections. I now "need" a 480.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Well I always wanted a .22Kit gun to go with a 70's vintage Model 27 and about the time I could buy one the Gov'y decided to drop a 4.2" min barrel length rule in front of me so I branched out. A K38 joined the household then a 455 Webley to go with a much earlier pristine Webley in 38SW. Well I trade the Webley for my Longbranch then the 455 went to a friend for a M14 which went to my son then the K38 and M 27 went to the youngest as he had bought a M 29 mint revolver. Well then Ruger came out with their 4.2" .22lr, which spawned a GP-100 which in turn gave birth to a 686 for back up to the GP100. Things were going ok except in all of this at the back of my safe was the Beretta Stampede in 45 Colt my wife bought me for my retirement. Nice gun that now has an even nicer Cattleman in 45acp and an El Patron in 357Mag. Yes a Ruger convertible 45acp/45Colt showed up last June.....why not!

I guess I should have stuck with one caliber in revolvers but what is a fellow to do. I also have an addiction for Semi autos and admit to assisting S&W with their bottom line (2x M&P)9MM & 2x 40cal), CZ UB (4XCZ 9MM, & a 45acp), 3 Norinco 1911's and a Tanfoglio 9mm/40cal and a 22Kit for the CZ's. Gone is an STI Trojan 9MM for the 686.

Maybe it is time to down size...or not.

Take Care

Bob

ps Just two more purchases in the spring, a New Edition CZ and another El Patron in 357mag. Then I will quit the habit.....I promise.
    pps I have a 41 Long Colt that my Great Grand Dad once owned. I have had it since I was 16 so it really doen't count in the total.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy

I'll start by saying pretty much the same as most, that whatever your reasons doesn't matter but to do what makes you happy. My logic is somewhat opposite of one caliber and many firearms in that caliber. First, I definitely don't want to hunt cottontails with a 44 mag even if she's downloaded as far as she can go. Second, I believe 44 Specials shoot best in cylinders made only for 44 Specials. Third, I have a hard time keeping track of my checkbook balance let alone the best loads for 10 different firearms of the same caliber. It's easier for me to know the 44 mags I have loaded are for a single revolver in that caliber, or maybe two revolvers in that caliber, but 10 would definitely give me a headache. The one exception I'd make though is in the case of the 32's. I really love them and always feel like I need one more.

Gene

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345