RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: scope and a receiver sight ?

Boolit Buddy

scope and a receiver sight ?

Is there any chance I could put a scope on a 98 Mauser and still keep the red field model 70 in place for back up? I fully understand how scopes help hunters, but how do you call it a hunting rifle without back up irons? Any way this is the rifle, I have no qualms with leaving the aperture disc out especially if it's for back up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master

A Scout Rifle scope might be an option.

At one time, Redfield made their JR scope base with a flip-up-back-up peep sight on it, but I haven't seen one in years. It was a pretty slick idea.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

You are looking at a see through mount and consequently a very high mount. I have avoided them for that reason. You lose your cheek weld for your primary sight.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Here's a solution:

Receiver sight in tandem with Griffin&Howe side mount. The scope lives in a leather tube slung over my shoulder. The G&H mount guarantees dead nuts return to zero each time I put the scope on the gun. Admittedly a pricey solution, but darned good, and classy as all get-out!

In my case, the scope is the auxiliary sighting system. I primarily use it with the iron sights.

Adding a receiver see through mounts may mean a higher stock comb. With a Model 98 receiver mounted scope, there are the safety and bolt alterations to consider. Take a look at Ben's posts. He's got a Turk 98 with a custom made low mounted scout set up. Ben posted images of his process and targets with tiny groups. Needless to say, he's pleased with the results. Larry Gibson has similar configurations on military rifles as well. See what these gents have to say about the scout set up.

Just a second option. I hope this helps,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 11-21-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I may have worded my question wrong. Can I leave the receiver sight attached to the rifle and still get a scope on there ? No see thru mounts. If the scope breaks I'd simply remove it and use the reciever sight instead. So a mount that the iron sights could see over, and a scope that could clear the receiver sight

Boolit Buddy
    You can do a "scout" mounted long eye relief scope. The rifle below is a 1941Turk mauser.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is another Mauser with an adapter mount. Needs a cheek riser because the scope is somewhat high.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnba67 View Post
    I guess I may have worded my question wrong. Can I leave the receiver sight attached to the rifle and still get a scope on there ? No see thru mounts. If the scope breaks I'd simply remove it and use the reciever sight instead. So a mount that the iron sights could see over, and a scope that could clear the receiver sight
    Shawn,

Yes you can mount a scope on a your rifle's receiver. Then in the event of a scope malfunction you can revert back to your Redfield peep site. Gnoah has a highly priced between the wars European set up with the claw style removable mounts. The leather cylinder holds the scope when not on the rifle. (Also note the spoon handle bolt and double set triggers. Very cool!) His set up would be the most desirable, and expensive to deploy. It's all depends on how much money you want to spend.

The standard 6x48 or 8x40 aren't really meant to be changed out like a lug nut on a car. A better option might be to utilize the Picatinny rail system and remove a scope at the rings. (quick release rings mounts). Mounting a Picatinny rail on your receiver might however interfere with your current site plane of your peep and front site. (Might have to buy a taller front site and move the peep up.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail

My guess is that once you mount the scope, you'll like it so much that you won't be taking it off much.

I hope this helps,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 11-22-2014 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added URL
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    This is what I did with a couple milsurps.

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/early.html#

Is there any chance I could put a scope on a 98 Mauser and still keep the red field model 70 in place for back up? I fully understand how scopes help hunters, but how do you call it a hunting rifle without back up irons? Any way this is the rifle, I have no qualms with leaving the aperture disc out especially if it's for back up

Boolit Grand Master
    Here is mine , notice that I have the receiver sight and scope on the rifle at all times :

Last edited by Ben; 11-24-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Williams Gunsight Company used to make a side mout that you could buy what they called High Central Over Bore sight rings.

The rings mounted to the base and were detachable (without tools) in a very easy manner. They were just the thing in the 50's and early 60's when sporters from milsurplus were the rage. Check there web site. Brownells might carry them. Those G & H's cost BIG bucks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UBER7MM View Post
    Shawn,

Yes you can mount a scope on a your rifle's receiver. Then in the event of a scope malfunction you can revert back to your Redfield peep site. Gnoah has a highly priced between the wars European set up with the claw style removable mounts. The leather cylinder holds the scope when not on the rifle. (Also note the spoon handle bolt and double set triggers. Very cool!) His set up would be the most desirable, and expensive to deploy. It's all depends on how much money you want to spend.

The standard 6x48 or 8x40 aren't really meant to be changed out like a lug nut on a car. A better option might be to utilize the Picatinny rail system and remove a scope at the rings. (quick release rings mounts). Mounting a Picatinny rail on your receiver might however interfere with your current site plane of your peep and front site. (Might have to buy a taller front site and move the peep up.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail

My guess is that once you mount the scope, you'll like it so much that you won't be taking it off much.

I hope this helps,
    Thanks for the compliment, Uber. Actually the mount in the pic is a Griffin&Howe setup. It can be switched from sight to scope in seconds. Pricey? Yes. But I have scored a few bargains on eBay. Patience and shopping skill pays off, if one is determined to have the best on a budget.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	122803 This is crude but I wanted to see if it would work and it does. My quest was to keep the original safety and to keep a reciever site would be no problem. Now this winter I want to make a solid metal mount to fit on barrel not the post effect. Thankfully the barrel is flat!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I had to take the aperture arm off my Redfield aperture sight, totally gets in the way.
    Those scout set-ups are the way to go , my barrel has no rear sight base but if it did I would be using the scout mount set-up.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.