RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repackaging Powder

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    Why would you do it any other way...? ANyone know why I should not put it in opaque white containers though?
    TES: I still have several surplus powders that are in white jugs, HiTech used them for many years, probably still do.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    You guys crack me up. Lmaorotf.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe carry the larger canister to the gun show with the empty bottles so the buyer can see it being packaged?

Just a thought

Also, I believe as long as the containers protect from uv, they should be ok, I would think.

Just my opinion, it's worth what you paid for it.

On another note, I just tried to toast bread using the gas range with no skillet and it didn't work out quite like I wanted it too...did you know bread on a grill puts off a smell about like cheap cigars.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Quote Originally Posted by TES View Post
    Why would you do it any other way...? ANyone know why I should not put it in opaque white containers though?
    I bought my surplus military powder in those containers years ago. That was before I knew better than NOT to buy from just anyone. By then, I trusted my source and continued to buy from him. I think he got it in 55 gallon drums. He packaged the powder with it's equivalent commercial powder name and I never knew the military names for it. It helped to know that he reloaded for all the area police departments at the time. He was also locally well known and sold reloaded ammo at the local gun shows. He had his name, address and phone number on a sticker, on everything he sold.

In Remembrance
    Waksupi, why didn't y'all cut up the horse and pack it out. Waste of meat! I worked with a Canadian who said it was his favorite steak.
    Back on the thread. I always clean the loading bench with powder canisters leaving the empty 1 lb and the 8 lb full can labels facing out. Making sure they both have the same label before I fill the 1 lb. I have pulled a lot of bullets when I was not sure of the powder! Always inspect older metal powder cans for rust inside. Yes I am an old F***t
    I don't think I would buy repackage powder from just anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Man, is that the truth. I remember one time we were packing out of Dolly Varden Creek in the Great Bear Wilderness, and had a horse roll down the mountain side and break a leg. Well, we had to kill the horse, and you can't just leave a horse carcass in the mountains, as it draws grizzly bears into the trail, and causes a hazard to other pack trains. Took us two extra days to come back in with dynamite to blow up the carcass to the forest service's satisfaction. I have NO idea why these guys always insist on wandering off topic!

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    TES have you ever seen or bought powder factory packaged or repackaged that was in an opaque container. I never have - ever. There's a reason powder manufacturers use packaging that doesn't allow light through. Like the previous poster said, powder degrades if exposed to light.
    That's very interesting; ALL of the powder canisters I have EVER purchased were in opaque containers, regardless of the material said container was made of. I highly doubt the color of the plastic makes any difference, as long as it's properly sealed & doesn't allow light/UV through.

I would second the suggestion of transferring the powder from the original canister within sight of the purchaser if possible, though I understand it might be a li'l tricky to port around a 240# keg...
    opaque

adjective \ō-ˈpāk\ : not letting light through : not transparent

transparent

a (1) : having the property of transmitting light without appreciable scattering so that bodies lying beyond are seen clearly

Boolit Master
    Jeff @ Gibrass.com uses 1 gallon white plastic jugs to ship all the surplus he sells.. so the idea that it had to be in black plastic is sort of silly.. I've seen powder in black and white plastic. I've also seen it in metal tins, metal cans (IMR), and wound paper cans.. As long as it is air tight and not outside the DOT regulations, I'm pretty sure most non clear containers would work just fine.

Boolit Master
    Try these guys:

http://www.houseofcans.com/screwcans.html

The pint size, with appropriate label, should do fine for a pound of powder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Why not nuke Chicago and eliminate the Bears that way?
    baaaawaaahaa
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

I had planned to buy 1 lb of all canister powders that I have 8 lb'ers and decant into them to avoid having to handle the large jugs every time. Then the crunch hit and that plan went by the wayside. Now I'm going to try some 1 pint metal cans like Bent Ramrod suggested. I just happen to have about a half dozen on hand. I grant you that the plan works better for fast handgun powders but larger containers are available for slow powders. I'm not sure if I would bother with the slooow surplus powders.

I have been using small white plastic containers to empty the measure into if I'm going to be using it again soon(like 2 or 3 days). Sharpies do a good job of marking. I can't really speak to the practice of using them longer than that. I do have a few jugs I got from Bartlett that are white.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    TES, what kind of powder were you wanting to sell?

pistol, rifle

I'm not going to name the company...a minimum order would be along the line of 350 k
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master

Is that "k" kilo's or 1000's lbs?
    John
    W.TN

Bucks
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master
    this is getting interesting. I ask what kind of powder......................... looking for specific "KIND" and I get a "NOT GOING TO NAME THE CO." I'l take $400.00 worth of just mix it all up I dont give a dog scrunch. That should go over real well at the gun shows.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I divide my large containers of powder into small esier-to-handle ones that are WHITE. The key is the plastic for chemical resistance. Unless you store your powder in direct sunlight (!) there will be no harm in putting in totally thick opaque white containers. #2 HDPE. For months and months and months. My powder storage never ever comes close to sunlight anyway!!!!!!!!!! Why the heck does yours!?!?!?!?

As far as buying "repackaged" powder from an unknown someone sitting behind a table at a gun show......ain't gonna do it. Sorry. Never. Ever. You may know what is in there but I do not know what you put in there, how old it is, or if it has been mistreated or contaminated. Powder is not THAT short.

banger

A few questions and an observation...........

Ric....Wouldn't real mountain men just eat the horse?

Wouldn't the smell of horse meat scattered over a couple acres of mountain side still attract scavengers?

If you nuked Chicago to get rid of the Bears, who could the Colts beat?

Who makes "static proof" plastic containers and where can I buy some?

I watched Jeff Bartlett dip surplus powder out of cardboard barrels and put it into one gallon, non-static proof, white plastic one gallon jugs, then paid him for it......Am I going to die in my sleep tonight? I have five of them on the shelf now; three of them about six years old; ammo I recently loaded with them performed as I expected.....Do I need to fertilize my marigolds with this junk powder?

An observation..........Hogdon got his start selling surplus powder repackaged in brown paper bags.

Not exactly an observation, but a link...........
    http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...eignition.html

Do a bit of searching, you'll find many similar experiments.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

TES as a few others have mentioned Hi- Tech, Jeff Bartlett and also Pat's Reloading use the white gallon jugs. They are HDPE. I still have some from Pat's and Bartlett.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

You would definitely want a HDPE High density polyethylene container. Can survive UV and temps, both low and pretty high. I would Not buy either unless I saw my container filled.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by YunGun View Post
    That's very interesting; ALL of the powder canisters I have EVER purchased were in opaque containers, regardless of the material said container was made of. I highly doubt the color of the plastic makes any difference, as long as it's properly sealed & doesn't allow light/UV throu

I would second the suggestion of transferring the powder from the original canister within sight of the purchaser if possible, though I understand it might be a li'l tricky to port around a 240# keg...
    opaque

adjective \ō-ˈpāk\ : not letting light through : not transparent

transparent

a (1) : having the property of transmitting light without appreciable scattering so that bodies lying beyond are seen clearly
    Thanks for the education. My point was that every container of powder I've ever bought was of a type that doesn't let light in.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast