Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead type survival scenario

Moderator Emeritus

My cure for 100 year old wallpaper and paint that was at least 9 layers I could count was tear out the plaster and lathe. Wallpaper kept it in nice big chunks I tossed out the window into the dumpster

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Don't hate the paper, hate the person who installed it. And the idiot who painted over it.
    Laudry fabric softener added to water does a great job of helping to remove the adhesive. I only know because I remove a bunch in the basement that was original to the house. I know this because the walls weren't primed or painted behind the wallpaper. Lots of drywall repair was done.

Look at a product called "Gardz", it seals residual glue and the walls and repairs. It is like water goo on and dries fast. It does a great job.

For a verboten topic, this sure has gotten a lot of response.

I guess I still got the gift of irritating people enough to get them talking.

Or something.

A disaster that involves a break down in social order be it totally fictional (zombie) or hurricane (Katrina was not the first one that left large areas without services for an extended period) or even a deliberate attack on the power grid all fit the original question of what long gun and side arm would you choose if you had to pick one of each. While most of us assuming we are at home have more than "one of each" so the proposed mission provides a reason you have to pick what you will take with you. A basis for your choice.

Me I sort of favor something auto loader with a scope in say .223 for both a decent reach and rapid fire if needed with a .22 semi-auto as side arm (bull barrel Ruger would be good choice) for it's low noise (no point in attracting zombies or advertising ones location) and a lot of shots without carrying a lot of bulky ammo. Yes I know .22 does not have much stopping power but I figure zombies don't care and doubt any ordinary evil person wants to get shot with anything. You think the cannibal tribe members are going to just walk out in the open because I'm only shooting at them with a lowly, small .22 or get there butts behind the nearest cover?

You might find this of interest http://zombie.msu.edu/ it is an actual course based on the behavior of people in actual disasters. I have met the people that created the course and they really do have a solid course. They give small groups different scenarios or choices. The groups make decisions, which have consequences. The choices are then tied back to the social dynamics of both the group and that type of choice. Would you take in a stranger, what if they were injured and could not explain who they were or how they got hurt? One that might be dangerous or could have useful knowledge. What precautions would you take? How much of your own supplies would you expend to aid them?

In the real world how much of your generator fuel would you be willing to burn to help out other folks? How much of your bottled water would you share if you were in the dome after Katrina? Also as Blacksmith noted in their post back on page 4 in a real life disaster telling the good people from the bad might not be that easy. Did those fellows in the pick up truck that pulled up have crow bars and axes to rescue people or to break in and loot? I know after a tornado in the area the folks living around the damaged homes informed the fellows that showed up with just that equipment right after dark that they were parked in what was about to become the local firing range and might want to move. No one believed the "came to help" explanation.

So is it every man for themselves? Or only those that have something to offer, or that you know or are friends with? Or at least make good firearm choices for this proposed mission?

Sorry you with the muzzle loader and C&B can just stay behind. Yes I know you can find a new flint anywhere and make your own powder, don't care. You don't go!

In sympathy for the fellow with the wall paper, after the massive frustration of putting up wall paper in an old house built by someone with a bent square and a glob of snot on their level I was told that the only way to do that wall papering job and not have wife and I awful aggravated with each other would be to do it in the nude. Think I am getting old enough now the wife is just not so inclined to think wall papering under those conditions would be much of a treat. 500 watt work lights are NOT flattering and can't wall paper by candle light. So no more wall papering anticipated.

In Remembrance
    A few years back we got a very wet late spring snow that dropped power poles by the thousands, it was going on three months before everybody got electricity back. How many days should we wait before we start shooting everybody?? I am totally amased but in our case no one died from lack of power or trying to steal it.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    What would I pick? Irrelevant.

What matters is what would Gecko45 use.
    I took a stab at answering btroj in post #74 but since we appear to be the only two in the know about Gecko45 I thought you might be interested in who he was.

Gecko45 goes back to the earlier days of the internet right after the turn of the century and although much of his story has been lost in the mists of time there exists a web shrine to his memory. So here is the story of Gecko45 be certain to read it to the end. If you are as moved as we were please send other pilgrims to the shrine so he will never be forgotten:
    http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 11-24-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master
    Well... somebodys writing another 'Z' movie.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    Mel Brooks could have done a good job with this script.Very funny and entertaining dialogue.

Boolit Master

Blacksmith.....Thank You for posting that. It was hilarious. Now I know where the term originated. I needed a good laugh this Monday morning.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, good old Gecko45 is a riot to read about. Sad thing is, there are people who follow idiots like that.
    Isnt the Internet wonderful?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    I bet his knees hurt after carrying all that steel plate about to protect him whilst he Ninjas around the Shopping Mall.

Boolit Master

The stories of Gecko45 read like a well scripted satire. The ninja shoes so he could climb walls was a laugh.
    With the advent of the internet individuals can live out their fantasys without ever leaving their house.

Boolit Master

Yep, good old Gecko45 is a riot to read about. Sad thing is, there are people who follow idiots like that.
    Isnt the Internet wonderful?

But what if all he wrote is true? Maybe there is a bunch of stuff happening behind the scenes at malls. Sort of like the MIB movies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    But what if all he wrote is true? Maybe there is a bunch of stuff happening behind the scenes at malls. Sort of like the MIB movies.
    Maybe we can have Love Life go undercover and find out?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Which is why I avoid going to mall restrooms to protect my virginity.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Which is why I avoid going to mall restrooms to protect my virginity.
    Pipe clamps. He will not be leaving that glory hole until you get police!

Boolit Grand Master
    After the Walgreens in Ferguson was looted and burned last night this entire discussion takes ona new meaning.

A hoard of mindless zombies marched on a pharmacy, probably for booze most of all, and burned and looted the business.

In Remembrance
    News flash, that was not zombies in Ferguson, or nothing new either.

Boolit Master

There is no doubt in my mind that the events happening in Ferguson now are the product of Agents Provocature and the Media.
    And yes...mindless Zombies...

Boolit Buddy
    After the Walgreens in Ferguson was looted and burned last night this entire discussion takes ona new meaning.

A hoard of mindless zombies marched on a pharmacy, probably for booze most of all, and burned and looted the business.
    What, you mean they weren't interested in ANY of the reading material? Crazy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    News flash, that was not zombies in Ferguson, or nothing new either.
    They are mindless. They behave like a bunch of mindless zombies. They certainly are out for flesh.

Nothing new at all but it is a target rich environment.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast