Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingGraf & SonsMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wisconsin TriggerStainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationRotoMetals2

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New users please read this!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Casting is like falling off a log. It is not rocket science. Today too many new people read waaaaaaaaaay too much and get waaaaaaaay too scared.

Just get out there, melt some lead, and cast some boolits. Nice thing about Pb......errors just melt away! Re-do's are very easy. Try that with metalworking on a mill or lathe! At lease with woodworking an "all-thumbs" person can slop glue in poor-fittting joints!!!!!

But do not get scared. Just do it. You will learn VERY fast from you mistakes. That is how I and many thousands others did it.......no internet, stupidTube, forums, blog, etc. Just plain old common sense and trial-n-error.

Good luck in your new endeavor.

bangerjim
    Thanks for the reply! I have read Sam Fadala's books, the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook and anything else I could get my hands on, but everywhere I look, all I read about is problem after problem. I guess it's time to just take the plunge. I think I will try starting with the 452-160-RF using WW allow.
    USN Veteran, CVN-68, NRA Endowment Life, Molon Labe

Boolit Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    There 'ya go!

Get that mold pre-heated on a hotplate, get your lead up to optimal temp for the alloy and start practicing. A half hour dropping boolits is worth 7 hours of just reading about dropping boolits.

banger

Boolit Mold
    I'll let ou know how it goes tomorrow.

Boolit Mold
    Hello from another new member. Black flies are out, summers comin`.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by shootzemm700 View Post
    Hello from another new member. Black flies are out, summers comin`.
    Humidity is up, skeeters, ticks, and snakes are out down here. Time for DEET and my trusty colt when walkin' the property down here

Boolit Mold
    ok I'm another new caster, like many of you, I read a lot about casting and now it's time for action. still looking for lead, this sounds like a ongoing quest

New users please read this!

Welcome Frank. I've had decent luck with local shops that do tires. My local Dealership even saves for me now. Also, many scrap yards are decent sources, my last run got me buckets of wheel weights for 50 cents per pound. There are also several posts on here selling COWW if you'd rather go that route in the "Commercial Sector" of the site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frank459 View Post
    ok I'm another new caster, like many of you, I read a lot about casting and now it's time for action. still looking for lead, this sounds like a ongoing quest
    Don't get too discouraged, at some point you'll fall into the mother load, like most of us seem to do. As much as we'd rather not pay for lead, other members usually have some for sale/trade or you can buy enough from RotoMetals to get started.
    Scrounging works, it just needs a little patience.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    Welcome to the fold. It can be very discouraging to go lead scrounging. Buy some foundry metal or find some on ebay (sorry guys). Preheat that mold and start pouring lead. You learn best by doing. Be SAFE.
    GOOD LUCK, Happy casting.

Attachment 180782Hi, I joined a few days ago, but this is my first post. I just finished my first batch of ingots from COWW. Going to start making 50 cal Muzzleloader boolits in a day or two.

Boolit Mold
    Well I finely am going to take the plunge. Not reloading and casting boolits but stopping being just a lurker o this site. Started reloading back in he '70's and been reloading since, started casting shortly there after, been doing that ever since. Put it down for a while, and picked it back up again, with a new wife who don't say much about it. still don't have a lot of time and less money so try to do things on the cheap most of the time. I hope that I can contribute some to this site and you won't hear a lot from me but I like to read the posts

Welcome JLChasteen and RGrosz, glad you joined us.

Banned
    Greetings from SA ! You are lucky to have a site like this. Casting is growing here as Government restrictions and costs for components are quite high. Several of us are saving up to relocate to Canada as the long term outlook here for minorities is unsure at best. Canadian members please chime in on casting in Canada. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry VIII View Post
    Greetings from SA ! You are lucky to have a site like this. Casting is growing here as Government restrictions and costs for components are quite high. Several of us are saving up to relocate to Canada as the long term outlook here for minorities is unsure at best. Canadian members please chime in on casting in Canada. Thanks to all.
    Welcome Henry!
    with all of the immigration we currently have in Canada it would be a very welcome change to have a fellow boolit caster join us!
    Casting for my .45acp is the only viable option for me, cost wise. A box of 50rds here is $25-$35 on avg.
    Wheel weights are easily obtainable as are all reloading components. There's always some nutter trying to ban some darn thing or another but for the most part we able to get what we need.
    Our gun laws are fairly restrictive but if you jump thru a few hoops you can get the paperwork without any trouble. That being said it is illegal for us to carry or hunt with a pistol or an AR-15. Those are restricted target guns only. Most other long guns aren't a problem. We need more coyote hunters here so brush up on your predator skills!
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Bub
    I just started casting this week and am having a blast. Even got a few usable bullets. This site is invaluable.

Post some pics!
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Mold
    Joined a day or two ago. No problems. Looks like the place to get started making my own bullets!

Test post.

Boolit Master Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Just joined this evening. Have been seriously wsighing my options as to wether to start casting or to buy cast bullets for my 10mm and 480.
    My biggest hitch in the gitalong to casting is to get enough lead stocked up.
    You are being watched.

Been checking things out. Registered today. Just started reloading 9mm. Bought a six cavity mold and cast some boolits the other day.
    Reminds me of pouring sinkers with my father back in the day! Look forward to learning from everyone.

Intro test post

Welcome Pka45, BubbaB, Cold Trigger Finger, and Flag City Shooter. Glad you joined us.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast