RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this really worth $80?

Boolit Master
    I have one of those boxes, though one corner has let go... Probably hurts the collector value, but I also have the mold and handles that go in it... and Yes, it is correctly marked...

So, what mold does it say was in that box???

329295 best I can make out on the box...
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Collectors like boxes...or so it seems. I see the many good points presented here and just reading here is always a great education...thanks!

In another arena, I once dabbled in Lionel trains. I've seen people pay $100 or more for a plain box..the brown paper box.that a full train SET was shipped in to the store! ???? Amazing.

The orange and blue car/engine boxes fetched as much...so some enterprising soul could over time, piece together a bunch of odd cards and engine that were in a set, with all "original" boxes (or ones like em) and then put them in a shipping carton so labeled and marked, and get a PREMIUM for the set...wasn't a box set by any stretch of the imagination, but it APPEARED to be, had all the right parts included, and as long as the cars or engines weren't worked on, they passed "original" criteria established by the Train Collectors Assn.

Good luck getting $ for the box! As I found trying to market my folks' antique furnishings, it's worth what someone will pay. Not a penny more!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    Is this really worth $80?

I have an Ideal Mold Box to sell, and this was what I found when searching for pricing (from Joe Salter Firearms Antiques):

$80 for the box. Mine is just like it.
    My opinion is...
    $80 is a premium price, and getting a premium price for a 'collectible' is all about being at the right place at the right time. Now, the chances of it being the right place at the right time for that item in a posting in castboolits S&S is pretty slim.

What I can say, since I'm a Mod, I can tell you it's not against the rules, to have at it, if you like.
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Yeah...I figured is was way high, but it isn't my area of expertise for sure. I'll post it up with a more reasonable price and see what happens.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Containers and pasteboard boxes of vintage and antique items are many times worth MORE that the thing that was in them. I collect a lot of antique items (besides just gun stuff) and relish finding a pristine container with the contents in it and will pay a preimum price for it because of the box.

Containers, especially pasteboard, were many times the 1st thing to be disposed of when the item was procured new.

Get what you can. That price for just the box seems a bit insane. Just like most things that sell on a heated 2 party bidding war on evilbay.

Good luck!

banger

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Setting on the Marked Down table at a sporting goods store - 3 Ideal/Lyman boxes with handles inside. Price ... $11 per, now on the shelf in the reloading room. If they had a dozen, would have bought all of them
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I sold all my Match Box cars with boxes for a pretty penny. I saved some without boxes to remember the times my Dad and I had collecting them. I have little use for boxes as my colleting is for the personal appeal of the item not for its resale value.

I would gladly sell all my mold boxes if someone made it worth my while.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Setting on the Marked Down table at a sporting goods store - 3 Ideal/Lyman boxes with handles inside. Price ... $11 per, now on the shelf in the reloading room. If they had a dozen, would have bought all of them

ohhhh...green is not a good color for me, but I think I'm a bit GREEN with that dreaded ENVY to have made such a find! And in Joiwsey, too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12