RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting rigs...how do you tote them into the fields?

Boolit Bub

Hunting rigs...how do you tote them into the fields?

I have a Ruger BH in .45LC with a 5 1/2" bbl. I am also er, ah, dimensionally challenged around the middle. A belt and holster rig just do not stay where they used to 20 years ago. How do you folks carry your hand guns into the deer woods? I used a shoulder/front chest carry rig many years ago with a Redhawk 7 1/2" .41 Mag. and it worked well.

I already have a box full of holsters that didn't work, I didn't like or the gun is long gone. I will await your recommendations...

Boolit Buddy

crowbarforge,

I'm in the same dimensionally challenged neighborhood ..... I have gone to a Chesty Puller Rig from Simply Rugged for my woods roamin', ATVn' & Jeepin' Roscoe.
    Works really well for my current 4" K-Frame, but also worked just as well for all my prior woods roaming Roscoes ( 6" Model 28 S&W, 5.5" Blackhawk in 45 Colt to Glock 20 in 10mm and everything in between ). Like they say " Try it, You will like it .... " ......
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master
    depending on just how manly your physique is, a Miami vice rig may work well for you. I am in the 2XL range myself, and find them quite comfy. If your arms are bit on the stubby side though, they may not work so well.

This is a K Bar Leather rig. My friend Dave, a fine, full-figured fellow (like 300 pounds full) has one that he loves for a SBH. They aren't cheap, but appear to be really well made. Do a Google search for chest holster and you'll find a bunch of these type of holsters. Pilots seem to like them a lot. Expect to pay some wheres around 150-200 bucks for a leather rig like this.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 11-20-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Sourdough holster with a Chesty Puller System from Simply Rugged.

Rob Leahy is good people.

Boolit Master

I use a bandoleer style with a drop belt loop to attach my belt. I've never had an easy time carrying a pistol in a belt holster for hunting, too much clothing in the way.
    Every shot you get in life counts

I use a shoulder harness or one that my pack strap slides through. I am not sure what you mean by dimensionally challenged though. Does that mean you are short? I'm 6' and am about 5lbs over my optimum weight. I should be 185, and I'm 190. Working on getting that squared away and back down into the low 180s sooner rather than later. That said I have no keester to speak of and hip holsters pull my trousers down when I hike so I attach them to my pack belt instead, or I wear an under arm shoulder holster that points straight down. When I have it adjusted right it works really well. I use it a lot when I am hiking, bird hunting, or bow hunting up here in grizzly country.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Buddy
    All through hunting season, and the month prior to it, I carried my Ruger RH .44 mag in a 7x Leather chest Rig.

With the weight of the pistol, and extra ammo(6), as well as a 40 pound ruck, I did not actually notice the pistol was there during my hikes. Also, I was able to keep the entire rig on whilst in my truck and did not have to worry about a belt rig getting in the way of a seat belt.

I was very pleased and the cost was well worth it.

I can get pics later if folks are interested, but I would give Wes my money again.

Boolit Bub
    Fergie...how would I get a hold of Wes? I will check out the offerings form Simply Rugged. Thanks friends.

Boolit Master
    I've got a chest type holster for my Ruger SRH Toklat in 454C. Bought it from a local maker, Diamond D leather.
    It's called the guides choice. Not cheap, but worth the money. http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

Boolit Master

Since all my hunting handguns use a red dot sight or a scope , I use Uncle Mikes, Bandolier shoulder holster about $43.00 from Midsouth.

Boolit Master
    I like a back wards draw flap. " military style "
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Grand Master
    I made an over the shoulder rig. Hangs behind me when traversing brush, under the arm (almost to the belt) at most other times and swung around to my chest (stomach) when sitting or preparing to draw. Simple, ugly, homemade, & the most effective transport that fully protects my handgun from the ravages of hunting. Can wear it under a generous coat or fully on the outside, depending on my momentary whims.

I made this last year for my 5.5" SBH 44. I have since stained the leather a redish brown and added a buckle to be able to quickly take the rig on and off.

This holster took me maybe 2 hours to put together. I am very pleased with it.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Take a hip holster that you already have on its own gun belt and add an over shoulder strap aka Sam Browne style. The gun will stay put and won't be in the way of lifting items as is the across the chest rig and won't wear on you like a shoulder rig.

When I'm actually hunting, the pistol stays in my hands; when dragging (a deer), or climbing, the best rig,I've found is the Bianchi 4100/4101 Ranger H.U.S.H. (HUnting Shoulder Holster) ballistic-weave Cordua Nylon cross-chest bandolier.

(The 4100 is for unscoped pistols; the 4101 fits scoped pistols - there are several models of both, to fit various guns & bbl lengths)

It's silent, (leather creaks at inoportune moments), and is available for both scoped & unscoped handguns, with a retention strap and/or a holster flap.

+1 on simply rugged chesty puller.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Bub
    Nice work there DJONES....I like that Bianchi HUSH too....Now I gotta clear off the workbench and get busy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by crowbarforge View Post
    Fergie...how would I get a hold of Wes? I will check out the offerings form Simply Rugged. Thanks friends.
    Well, it appears his website is not running right now. Let me find a business card of his and I can get his phone #.

Edit: Found a different way in to the site.
    http://www.7xleather.com/chest_holster
    Last edited by Fergie; 11-21-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Banned

I usually carry it in my hand, in case I jump a deer.

Boolit Bub
    Blammer...good idea there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast