Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had deer hunting success with a S&W .500 handgun using cb's?

Boolit Man

Question Anyone had deer hunting success with a S&W .500 handgun using cb's?

I usually use a .30/06 BAR rifle for my primary gun for deer hunting here in Ga. The last two deer I got, a long time ago, was with a .454 Casull handgun using factory soft point ammo .

Now,I usually pack a .500 S&W with a 8 3/8" barrel in a shoulder holster in case I ever need it for a backup. I keep it loaded with 440gr. homecast LEE FNGC cb's going about 1100-1200fps.

I would like to take a deer with it before the season is done here in Ga.

Anyone have a stories to tell using cb's for deer hunting in their .500 S&W handgun? How was the performance?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    It would seem that about any muzzleloader who has hunted with a 50 cal and maxi's can tell you exactly what it does as far as terminal performance. The difference is about 100 FPS at the muzzle.

Boolit Buddy
    What do you need a 500 smith for in Georgia?
    Father, fool, friend.

In Remembrance
    Is this a serious question? If so, it may be a tad small for the job, but would be great for squirrels.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 21Glock View Post
    Anyone have a stories to tell using cb's for deer hunting in their .500 S&W handgun? How was the performance?

Thanks!
    I don't have a personal story of killing deer with a 500 S&W, but this is a quote from a friend of mine who has shot two deer with a 500.
    "It's like killing flies with a 16 oz. ballpeen hammer."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I'd use a hard cast lead bullet and a light practice load, otherwise you are going to have a lot of bloodshot meat. Better get a broadside shot and hit him right in the boiler room too. If you hit the front leg you will ruin a lot of meat...connect with a leg bone and you will shatter it and ruin even more meat than just the bullet alone.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    I'd use a hard cast lead bullet and a light practice load, otherwise you are going to have a lot of bloodshot meat. Better get a broadside shot and hit him right in the boiler room too. If you hit the front leg you will ruin a lot of meat...connect with a leg bone and you will shatter it and ruin even more meat than just the bullet alone.
    much more meat will be lost if a bone is hit
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man
    I would imagine a cb would just drill a .50+ hole through any deer it hit. Just wanted to see if anyone had some real world experience to relate from an actual kill with a .500 with cbs.
    I had some Barnes 275 gr. HPs that I heard are real meat wasters on deer with a .500.

Like big bore handguns. Have owned several S&W 29s, Ruger .44s, several .454 Casulls, even had a .475 Linebaugh at one time.

To each his own, as they say.
    Last edited by 21Glock; 11-20-2014 at 05:54 PM.

In Remembrance
    To my way of thinking, big and slow wastes less meat than little and fast.

Vendor Sponsor

I would imagine a cb would just drill a .50+ hole through any deer it hit.
    That would be true if using a solid flat nose fairly hard alloy and not hitting a major bone
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I'd suspect few successful deer hunting stories with the .500 Smith. It may just not be enough gun. Deer seem to be much tougher than the were 40 years ago. I soon suspect nothing short of 20 mm AP will penetrate these beasts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    It would seem that about any muzzleloader who has hunted with a 50 cal and maxi's can tell you exactly what it does as far as terminal performance. The difference is about 100 FPS at the muzzle.
    Having killed several with the Lyman plains bullet with 100 grains of Pyrodex (never clocked it, I'm guessing 1300ish FPS or so) it kills well and doesn't destroy meat badly. I have no idea how fast a .500 S&W pushes bullets that weight, but I would suspect similar results to my muzzle loader kills.

Boolit Man
    The load,(440gr. FNGC cb), I'm shooting, goes around 1100-1250+ fps in my .500 S&W That's the beauty of this gun, can be loaded from around 800fps to over 1500fps with this particular cb.

Thanks for your reply with some real world experience shooting a similar type round.

Banned

I use a 440 gr in my .500 JRH and at 1350 fps, a hard boolit is a hole punch.
    At 1200 fps it should do much better. I have not lost any meat, actually, not enough internal damage with my velocity.
    I will be using a softer nose in mine soon to see if it works better.
    The monster needs slowed down for deer. My problem is accuracy is not there if I slow it so will try to slow it with some expansion. First try is a nose made of 3# of pure and 1# of WW's. I should know on Mon if I am lucky.

Banned

The load,(440gr. FNGC cb), I'm shooting, goes around 1100-1250+ fps in my .500 S&W That's the beauty of this gun, can be loaded from around 800fps to over 1500fps with this particular cb.

Thanks for your reply with some real world experience shooting a similar type round.
    That Lyman bullet I mentioned is nominally a 410 grain bullet if I recall, and has a big meplat, though probably not as big as the WFN types. The dynamics of terminal ballistics may be different seeing as how those are pure lead, but I have only ever had one of them stay in an animal, usually, it's an in and out kind of wound with not a huge exit hole. One time I did hit shoulder bones and it was pretty destructive in that case.

I had thought seriously of getting a .500 S&W Handi rifle barrel and seeing how those plains bullets worked being loaded in metallic cartridges, but I have a .45-70 Handi barrel and couldn't figure it would do anything a .45-70 wouldn't do just as well.

Hand guns over a heavy loaded 44 special or 45 colt are for hunting big game. Like cape buffalo, hippos, elephants and such. People that use them for deer hunting use them more for bragging rights than hunting.
    Swap it for a 44 special or 45 colt. Load it right and kill deer.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Hand guns over a heavy loaded 44 special or 45 colt are for hunting big game. Like cape buffalo, hippos, elephants and such. People that use them for deer hunting use them more for bragging rights than hunting.
    Swap it for a 44 special or 45 colt. Load it right and kill deer. Leo

I hunt with handgun from 500GNR -to .410 GNR to .41 GNR 9'' on deer because i choose to -- as stated it much like a .50 Muzzeloader that I also use to hunt deer-- and my 1st deer hunting rifle is a .358 win -I have used boolits fro 200 to 250 gr-- all this is just fun-- no brag just fact-- also I have used cast boolits my cast hunt with
    all the above calibers -- deer are rather easy to kill and more difficult find to shoot

Boolit Man
    Thanks for your input. Appreciate the info. I agree with you, I didn't start this thread to defend my use of a handgun I like to shoot and use for hunting. Just wanted some info. on personal experience from folks who used one or a similar round on deer with cbs.
    That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

Banned

I shot a huge doe and an 8 point opening day with the JRH and both dropped at the shot. No meat loss. Am I crazy for such a big gun? Naw, it works.

Boolit Man
    My point exactly. Thanks and congratulations and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast