Load DataWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger Single-Seven 327 Loading Problems

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    mine does not drag when the cylinder is properly positioned and held there. Tolerances are close but not prohibitive.
    Bully for you! You got a good one.
    My second one, a 7 1/2 incher, is much better than my first one, the 5 1/2 inch gun. It still requires careful positioning, but a round will drop in without binding, and eject spent cases without having to remove the cylinder from the gun. Neither one loads as easily as the ones Quinn got for his review. Me thinks he got the gun writer special.
    However, despite the potential problems, these are dandy guns. If they come out with a Bisley version, I'm all over it.
    Here's a pic of my Christmas present to me, the holster is a cross draw I made yesterday, the cartridges are 12.8 grains of 296 under a MP 314-640-100 HP.
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	124349
    Last edited by rintinglen; 12-13-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    My Single 7 loads and unloads as designed; tolerances are closer than any of my other single actions but then the frame is smaller. Good gun, just learn how to use it. Sorta like when you graduated from the high chair to the dinner table and had to start eating with a fork instead of that spoon you were used to. All Rugers ain't the same, but they all work as designed!!
    Useless, ignorant, and insulting post. You know, I did learn something from my mother when I graduated from the high chair, and that was, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. I guess you're still in your high chair...

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Just a comparative analogy, dint mean to break your rice bowl!!

Boolit Master

As a shooter , I would not be happy with that gun in the video, clearly it has tolerance/clearance issues at the loading gate. Rugers should load and unload easily.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Buddy

I watched your video and totally agree you got a lemon with regard to loading. It doesn't look like it would take much to stone to get the proper clearance which I'd do if it were a used firearm, but being brand new I believe I'd send her back to Ruger. They'll surely see the problem you described once they take a look at it.

Boolit Master

I strongly recommend any with problems to contact Ruger. They sent UPS to pick mine up and it was returned in less than 10 days. Good to go, now............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    I strongly recommend any with problems to contact Ruger. They sent UPS to pick mine up and it was returned in less than 10 days. Good to go, now............
    Yup. I contacted Ruger. Their initial response was similar knee jerk as many on this forum, "It's working as intended." I insisted. So they paid shipping both ways. And in less than 2 weeks I have my revolver back already.

Works like a dream now. Loads and unloads as easily as my Super Blackhawk 44 magnum and my Bisley 45 Long Colt, which previously were the easiest of my Ruger single actions to load.

Looks like they did at least 2 things. First, it loads and unloads before the click without any resistance. The shells just fall in/out. Second, they changed the indexing, so that it clicks just a bit sooner, so now you can also load it after the click. Very very nice.

So Ruger customer service has turned out to be as good as their guns. Very good.

If you have similar problems, don't listen to the naysayers, or those willing to accept flawed guns as "working as intended". Have Ruger take a look at it. They'll make it right.

I will shoot another video in the next few days and post it as well to demonstrate the difference.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looking forward to the video. Congratulations on getting your gun fixed.
    I am slightly amazed at how good Ruger's service is, and how often it is needed. They have spent nearly 200 dollars on shipping alone for my three returns, not counting the time of their service people. I would think a little more money on Quality Assurance would save them a lot of money in the long run.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to hear about the satisfactory resolution to the problem. I was much more impatient than yourself and stoned mine to get similar results, but in retrospect should have gone your route.

Regardless, glad to hear that Ruger addressed the issue and that the problem was not deemed "acceptable" by them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
    Here is a video demonstrating the difficulty loading and unloading my Single Seven, followed by a Super Blackhawk just for comparison.

A picture is worth a thousand words. With Mfg tolerances, that one gun is problematic (as are others). Design is just too tight to work reliably across a MFG run. Ruger should fix that. Nice Video.

Boolit Master
    Can't wait to see the next video with the fix.

Boolit Buddy
    i just bought a single seven 7.5 inch this past Saturday brought it home gave it a good cleaning and took it to the range sunday . I noticed some loading issues right away I own multiple blackhawks(in other calibers) and used to own a superblackhawk and never ran into this problem .mine isn't near as bad as the 1 in the vid though, mine seems to work just fine if you turn it till it clicks then turn it back against the lockup and hold it there ,the rim on the case rubs a little bit but not enough to hurt anything they fall in and out pretty free . I dunno maybe ruger should have stuck with the Blackhawk in this caliber like when they first introduced it .I originally wanted the Blackhawk 5 yrs ago when I bought my 1st 327 mag but settled for the gp100 ,but people complained the Blackhawk and gp100 were to big of gun for a 32 cal round. maybe the single 6 (7) frame is a tad to small . all and all I like the single seven though but ive been a fan of this caliber since it was introduced in 2008 . just my opinion .
    Last edited by sandman228; 12-30-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Sandman: what you described exactly mirrors my experience. I bought my first 327 in early 2009, been with it continuously thru 4 different guns. I still have and use 3 of them, sold off my first one because I was offered more than I could refuse; and I had a new unfired duplicate in the safe. I've never met a 327 I didn't like; just like the smaller ones better. The GP & BH were too big. I have Colt SAA's in 32 calibers and they are too big for the caliber, also.
    The Single 7 would be about perfect as a Single 6.

Boolit Grand Master

Cylinder needs to be longer to take full advantage of heavyweight bullets. But beyond that it's the perfect size. Hopefully I have time to call Ruger this week since I'm off.

Cylinder length was the first thing I noticed when I started to develop loads for it. I couldn't seat the 311316 out to reduce pressures. I can do that with both my Taurus and my Charter Arms, both of them have longer cylinders. I still like all of them.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a BH--too much gun for too little boolit. It was heavier noticeably than my 44 special flat top.
    I much prefer the balance and feel of the Single 7. Now that I have the problems fixed with mine, it has become a favorite. I just got 500 cases from a fellow back east and as soon as I get past the holidays, I am going to get some more reloaded. Then I will try to empty them as quick as I can. I have hopes of converting a coyote or two into non-meat eaters.

Here is a video demonstrating how easily it now loads and unloads after Ruger fixed it.

Boolit Master
    Well done videos MudCamper. Your diagnosis was correct and Ruger customer service shines again for those who take the time to present a clear, calm request to Ruger and allow them to correct the issue.