Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Coleman 220

Coleman 220

This is a 1978 Coleman 220 that was ruff... I spent 2 hours cleaning it. At least 1 full hour just with steel wool on the non painted parts. Yes, there was that much rust.

After er a good cleaning, (not a refurbish,) here is what it look like with fresh mantels, new gas, and cleaned glass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Wonderful! I love bringing stuff like that back from the edge. All that work sorta makes it one of the family.

Your spot on Nueces!!!

i appreciate it more because of the time and labor that I put in it. Considering it would not even light when I first bought it, there is even more satisfaction there...

Duane
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

I love the 220s you did a good job of bringer her back to working order. I was given an old 220j at elk camp in CO two years ago, with the two parts ones I had laying around I made two working ones now I have 3 and a parts donner.

Boolit Master
    I have one that I received as a Christmas present in 1968. Used it for heat and light when I used to go icefishing. Hardly ever use it now, especially when I picked up a 2nd one, much newer one, at a garage sale for $5.

Great old lanterns. Overlooked by many for modern options that in my view are often less good.
    2 or 3 make a bright campsite and reduce shadows.

If you are determined enough to disassemble a Coleman lantern an overnight soak in white vinegar serves well to reduce the rust to something that can easily be removed with a retired toothbrush...

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I have one that I received as a Christmas present in 1968. Used it for heat and light when I used to go icefishing. Hardly ever use it now, especially when I picked up a 2nd one, much newer one, at a garage sale for $5.

I have been hunting one like this for years now at junk sales yard and garage sales with no luck. In my area I guess it's the stoves for me, I find those all the time. I got a single and a double for $7 but I'm still looking for a lantern that is in kind of decent shape.
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    If you are determined enough to disassemble a Coleman lantern an overnight soak in white vinegar serves well to reduce the rust to something that can easily be removed with a retired toothbrush...
    THIS is good to know!
    What if..... you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 3jimbo3 View Post
    I have been hunting one like this for years now at junk sales yard and garage sales with no luck. In my area I guess it's the stoves for me, I find those all the time. I got a single and a double for $7 but I'm still looking for a lantern that is in kind of decent shape.
    I have picked up two stoves at garage sales, too. Paid less than $10 for both, but that was about 20 yrs ago. I did get one of the single burners through eBay, and a couple of years ago, I picked up a two burner propane stove through Craigslist for $5. and it's in great shape. I picked it for my boolit casting, but never used it for that. I use the side burner on my grill for melting ww's and making ingots, and my Lee 10lb pot for casting boolits.

Boolit Master

A buddy just gave me a 425E 2 burner stove, still in the box. His father in law had owned it and never used it. Never been fired, still had the factory literature in it. Latest date on the lit was 1972. That was the year I first used such a stove on a mountain camping trip.

Sure would enjoy cooking some corned beef hash and fried eggs on it one cold morning.

Boolit Buddy

I just bought a 220F off of Letgo for $20 last week, it needs alot of cleaning but it is fairly good shape. Then this week I was on a business trip to Nashville and picked up a near new 288A two mantel for $10. I am going after a 3 burner stove in the morning. He is asking $20 for it, I don't have a 3 burner at the present time.....well until morning anyway. I will post some pictures as I get them cleaned up and fired up.

Boolit Mold
    ooops.
    Last edited by Apples; 08-28-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: to delete a double post
    "If ever a cartridge and revolver were meant to be together, it's the .41 and the 4.62-inch Blackhawk. It just don't git no better than that." - 1911Tuner, February 2013

"And maybe a little Ballistol and a dab of possum fat..." - Flinchrock, January 2013

Boolit Mold
    I like what is said in your post signature, Jimbo. Yea... what if. I thank The Creator nearly every day for the people close to me and for the tools in my possession... and those tools include vintage Coleman gas pressure outdoor appliances and my rifles.

rollmyown

2 or 3 make a bright campsite and reduce shadows.
    Exactly! my good man. That was my reasoning for the acquisition of my first three lanterns! hahaha... at least two burning in camp and a spare ready to go... now I feel naked If I don't have three running and two spares. Hah!

It all began for me with a suprising reaction I had after seeing my first 1950's single-mantle lantern, the 200A. I fell in love. In fact, the letter A in that lantern model designation is what triggered the username 200Apples for an old lantern forum, and now, simply, Apples.

It was while looking for my fourth 200A that I discovered the "big hat" version of the Coleman Model 220: the Model 228. This one is a 228D, made in 1949. I now have several examples of each, and a few stoves.

"If ever a cartridge and revolver were meant to be together, it's the .41 and the 4.62-inch Blackhawk. It just don't git no better than that." - 1911Tuner, February 2013

"And maybe a little Ballistol and a dab of possum fat..." - Flinchrock, January 2013

Boolit Master

Something about the sound a Coleman lantern makes that make camping special.

Like the sound of a Huey, nothing else sounds like a burning Coleman lantern burning either lantern fuel or white gas, not bottled gas.

DANG mantles can pick the most inopportune times to break.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

I bought 1952 228E at a yard sale for $12.00. It ws all froze up. Took it all apart and clean it in Ed Red's.
    Its burning like new.
    A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2441-Ron-in-PA

You can't go to three garage/Yard sales without seeing a coleman 220E, F or H or a two burner "suitcase stove" if you go to any flea market you will find several of each.

And should anyone be interested there's a large You-pull-it junkyard I can take you two were you can probably find two or three "suitcase stoves" in any given weekend just by looking in the trunks of cars

Personally I see them most often for about $5 and sometimes the seller wants more, I'll pay $10 for any 220 with unbroken glass.

At last count I had more than 40 lanterns that I can light in seconds should I choose to.
    Most are older than I am.

Boolit Master
    AllanD, you should post a pic of all your lanterns lit up.

Banned
    I love those old pressure lanterns. I have a real affinity for the kerosene models.