Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: .358 Winchester using Unique

Boolit Buddy

.358 Winchester using Unique

Gentlemen.

I have read the sticky on 10 grains of Unique being the universal load...however I didn't find much of the 358 Win. Doing a search really didn't reveal much. I am wondering what others experience have been with this powder in the 358 Win. I am loading an Accurate 360-240A which comes in at 238 grains checked and lubed. I feel comfortable starting at 10 grains, but wondering what others have found was a load nearing acceptable pressure levels? I have used Unique in my 45-70 and they were fun to shoot, easy on the pocket book and allowed me loads of shooting when powder was near impossible to find.

Thanks.

I shoot 12 gr. unique behind a 300 gr. boolit in 35 whelen. I'ts one of my most accurate loads and too much fun! I started with the 10 gr. load and worked up for the best load. It usually keeps groups just under and just over an inch @ 100 yds.
    I know you said .358 and mine is a whelen, but it may give you some idea. I've never chroned that load, but saw somewhere that 10 gr. in the whelen with the 300 gr. boolit was 1250 fps? So i'm guessing my load is somewhere around 1350 fps. I've shot up to 14 gr. but groups opened to around 2 1/2".

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use 10 grains of Unique with a 260-grain LBT bullet in my. 35/.30-30 for 1250 fps.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys..I think this would make an awesome short range, don't piss off the neighbours farm round for close up white tails. I had a monster buck walk through the property just at twilight tonight, and I was just aching for a nice heavy for caliber popgun round to put through his vitals. Didn't get a really good count on the rack, but I am guessing 4x5 with super long tines. Hope I see him again before the end of the month.

Boolit Bub

Lymans 3rd cast bullet handbook lists 10.5 grains (1205 fps) to 14 grains (1395 fps) with a 247 grain bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    400...thanks, that's what I was looking for. Did they show what the pressures were for those two loads. I have the Lymans 3rd edition and couldn't find anything for 358 WCF. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Found the missing page in my book Lyman #3 edition....stuffed in the back cover. Thanks 400

Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
    Found the missing page in my book Lyman #3 edition....stuffed in the back cover. Thanks 400
    Lol that sounds like some of my manuals.