Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: What size sizer?

Boolit Bub

What size sizer?

I have two Winchester M94 rifles. One is .30-30 and the other is .32 WIN SPL, I also have a Rem700 ADL in .35 Rem

Without taking a casting of the chambers, how can I best determine the size sizer die to use? I plan to use wheel weight w/ gas checks (I have the molds already) and lube with the powder coat method.

Rick

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Slug the barrels first ! You must know bore and groove diameters to size boolits to a viable diameter.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Grand Master

I'd default to .311, .323 and .360 for traditional boolits in most chambers. Not knowledgeable about or a fan of PC in rifles so can't help you there.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Like the rules of casting say, slug the bore....chamber cast is nice, but without knowing the bore size you are just guessing..... .311 for 30/30 , .324 for 32...and for the 35 rem.... .360 if you must start in the dark any of these diameters could be +- '001 to small or large . size one round each and see if they will chamber in your rifle , before you load up a lot of rounds....You are going against logic with your approach.....but have fun with your experiment
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master

Good advise in the posts above. You will probably be just fine going one or two thousands above what it is "supposed" to be but if you want to get the best results possible take the time to slug each bore. Before I joined this site I just bought dies a thousandth over till I started learning from the members here. It worked ok but things got much better when each gun was sized to fit. The slugging really does not take long at all and I think there are some "stickie" threads on it. I am home for the next week or so if you do not have a good micrometer mail the slugs in a container where they will not get damaged and I will measure them for you. Good Luck,FB

Boolit Bub
    Lemme search for the thread on proper slugging of the bore. That is the best practice. Thanks fellas.

The more I read about slugging and sizing, the more confused I get. Let's say I slug a barrel and the grove diameter is .452. What would be the diameter I would size to?

Boolit Buddy
    I am no powder coating expert, but I understand that the process adds to the bullet diameter, so you would need to factor that in. Another point to consider is whether you intend to size before or after powder coating.

While slugging your barrel first would be desirable, you should also determine how large a diameter will still allow the loaded cartridge to chamber freely. In a 30/30 that I had the max diameter I could load that would still chamber freely was 0.311".

Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    The more I read about slugging and sizing, the more confused I get. Let's say I slug a barrel and the grove diameter is .452. What would be the diameter I would size to?
    In your example, I believe conventional wisdom calls for a diameter of .453 to .454.
    I presume since you posed your question in the Leverguns forum you are asking about a lever action rifle. If this is a pistol, I have just been reminded that things aren't necessarily so simple.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 11-19-2014 at 11:26 PM.