RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Push thru sizer

Boolit Grand Master

Push thru sizer

Finished a push thru sizer for the 375 today. Only took me 4.5 hours! I figure it must be worth 250 dollars or more if my time is worth a damn.

I can see why Theperfessor sells blank sizers, not finished ones. The time is in getting the final hole drilled, reamed, and polished to the correct size.

Guys, buy from Buckshot, don't get a lathe. I need to make another 500 of these for myself just to get close to breaking even.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

Pics or it didn't happen.

Now is that break-even point at $250 a pop or $25?

So I take it you're not ready to start filling custom orders yet for 25 bucks apiece? Perfesser Keith's push-through conversions are outstanding and had many machining processes done to them that made them very versatile with catch bottles, etc. I didn't want any of that, but the base die is still shipped with a bunch of extra parts, all with hours of design, machining thought, and production time behind them all...and I got in on the first batch that were even professionally finished with a shiny black oxide. I can't remember what I paid, but it was something like $65 shipped and included my choice of four calibers of push rods. I took one look at his prototype picture and jumped in on the buy, there was and is a lot of value there for what you get from a one-man (at the time) operation.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Keith has experience I can't even dream of and some automation I can't afford. Well, chose not to afford. He is also a heck of a guy to give me the help he has. I can't think of a guy I would rather have as a prof, he is a heck of an educator.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

The scratches on the top are from the ViseGrips I used to get it threaded into my press. I used a lock ring to check thread fit on the lathe and it was fine but in the press it was snug the first couple goes. It has since loosened up and it is great now.

Notice the scratches on the left most bullet. It was after drilling and reaming but before any polishing was done. I wanted to check size before I polished anything. I also needed to see how much more I needed to back bore to minimize the length of the sizing portion on the die. If you have much over 1/2 inch of sizing length it becomes difficult to push bullets thru. Took me a couple of recuts to get the right length.

I have a .379 die for my Lyman that actually sizes to .3798. I got a .375 reamer so I can try some different diamters, I think .379 is too fat for the rifle really. This one finished at .3776. I will make a few more, maybe in the .3765 and .3850 range.

Cost is based on what my employer says I am worth per hour. I'm making one for the FIL for Christmas, I can tell him I spent way too much on his gift.....

Boolit Master

Your time aint worth nothing when you are learning.
    Now when you get to selling, well them your time is priceless!!!
    Do you have any thread files, they will help in the last bit of fitting threads.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master
    I need a thread file. I need lots of tooling. My wife commented on the number of boxes around the house from Enco.......

The lathe was cheap, it is the dang drills, reamers, and what not that add up fast. Now I need a dang place to store all that stuff.

Banned

Buckshot always said they need to give the lathes away for free, all your money goes into the tools anyway.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    He isn't kidding. I can see why people end up with thousands in tooling. 100 here, 100 there, it all adds up.
    Figure that each sizer needs one or two drills and a reamer. I have stuff for 30, 357/9 mm, and 375 so far. Right there it is over 100 bucks.

I hope my wife doesn't kill me over all this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    He isn't kidding. I can see why people end up with thousands in tooling. 100 here, 100 there, it all adds up.
    Figure that each sizer needs one or two drills and a reamer. I have stuff for 30, 357/9 mm, and 375 so far. Right there it is over 100 bucks.

I hope my wife doesn't kill me over all this stuff.
    My wife realizes my expensive hobby keeps me away from other mischievous ventures.

I like the arrangement!

Boolit Master

I need a thread file. I need lots of tooling. My wife commented on the number of boxes around the house from Enco.......

The lathe was cheap, it is the dang drills, reamers, and what not that add up fast. Now I need a dang place to store all that stuff.
    I have a set something like this, sometimes I need to repair a bolt or pipe threads at work.
    The files saves me time and headaches.
    http://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Thre.../dp/B001T4KRHC
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Not to be too self promoting buy I have a sign up list going right now in the Casting Equipment section for my press mounted push through sizer sets. We're having the adapter bodies blackened as I write this.

Yes, you can tie up a ton of money in tooling up any machine, I expect that it will cost me $5-10k (initially) to tool up my CNC mill when I get it. That doesn't include the previous investment in all the basic measuring tools ands setup hardware.

Is it any wonder that a shop has to charge $45 to $100/hr to meet wages & benefits, insurance, power, capital equipment and tooling costs?

What Buckshot charges for his services is a bargain IMHO.

Boolit Grand Master
    A bargain? Buckshot is too cheap! He is lower than China would go but with quality they can't match.

I have a ton of respect for guys like Keith and Buckshot. Making the stuff they do for a reasonable price is an art in itself.

Boolit Master
    I'd start off with a 7/8-14 bolt, then all you have to do is bore out and finish the hole for the sizer, well taper the entry but the bulk of the work is done before you start.

I do what Paul suggest above. I purchase 7/8 14 grade 5 bolts, cut the head off and then drill, taper and polish to finished size with lead boolits and valve grinding compound. Dad always said time does not mean much to a hog and I can tell the story that goes along with this saying. I have started milling flats on the top of the dies to allow them to b e turned with a wrench. Will get up a picture later maybe, but I am 175 miles from home sitting around the fire looking out over the water.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Finished a push thru sizer for the 375 today. Only took me 4.5 hours! I figure it must be worth 250 dollars or more if my time is worth a damn.
    That's only because your new at it, before ya know it that figure will be down to around $212 or so.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll put you down for 2 Rick.

Boolit Grand Master

Checks already in the mail.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    To me or the ex wife? I figure she is more likely to see it than I am.....

Boolit Grand Master

Hhmmm . . . Didn't know you had an X. What is her phone number, bet I could get a real ear full to post here.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I meant your ex, I don't have one.

If I had one I'm sure she would have stories to tell. Wait, isn't that part of why they are an ex?