Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Push thru sizer

Boolit Grand Master

My X? Which one?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, slow learned are you?

If only you could pick wives like you can cast bullets.....

Mine is good, she was well trained by a fellow member here. 1shirt raised her well.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

Slow learner? I dunno, there's only been three.

Casting is easier. When a casting session doesn't go well ya just through them back in the pot. Wives for some strange reason tend to resist being tossed into a pot of molten lead.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Slow learner? I dunno, there's only been three.

Casting is easier. When a casting session doesn't go well ya just through them back in the pot. Wives for some strange reason tend to resist being tossed into a pot of molten lead.

Rick
    Small wife or big pot of lead?

And three? Damn man, you aren't a slow learner, you are a glutton for punishment.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master

First one died of cancer. The second one should have died of cancer. Slowly. Third one ate herself to death.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

I made a push through sizer die for my Lyman 525 sabot slugs. I wanted to try the slugs in a different wad, of which I have two bags. These wads have thicker petals, and the slug was not made to fit in them.
    I uses a 7/8 x 14 grade 5 bolt. First, I drilled the center hole. Then I bored it to a few thousands of the my desired I.D. Then, I used a piece round stock split a couple inches on one end. I slipped emery cloth in the slit and wrapped it around the stock to get a tight fit needed to polish to size. The emery cloth is aggressive at the start, but as it wears, it polishes very well.
    The wall thickness of the die is purty thin, but the die works perfect.
    Jack
    Last edited by littlejack; 11-22-2014 at 01:35 AM.

That is a lot of work, the first one I built used a double split set collar to hold the homemade die.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I need a thread file. I need lots of tooling. My wife commented on the number of boxes around the house from Enco.......

The lathe was cheap, it is the dang drills, reamers, and what not that add up fast. Now I need a dang place to store all that stuff.
    The tooling is usually as much as the lathe or double, sometimes triple.
    I have lost count how much I have in tooling, it STARTED at $3000 almost 10 years ago and I am still adding tooling when I see it at the right price.

Boolit Master
    Hi btroj.Know what you mean about tooling eatin` your lunch.A few years back,a friend bought a nice South Bend lathe at a surplus sale at Jacksonville Naval station in Fl.5k for the lathe and about 500lbs of tooling with it.One year later,he had also spent an additional 15K for more tooling,and no end in sight.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    The tooling is eating me alive. Soon I will need to buy a place to store it. Sure glad I didn't know it was gonna be like this, I woulda been dumb enough to tell my wife and I wouldn't have a lathe in the garage.

Boolit Master

Now that you have a lathe you need a mill to go with it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Please don't tell my wife that! I will say the garage has a 60 amp sub panel. She doesn't know why but I do......

Boolit Grand Master

Please don't tell my wife that! I will say the garage has a 60 amp sub panel. She doesn't know why but I do......
    Dialing her cell number right now . . .

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick, haven't you learned by now that calling women just leads to troubles?

Boolit Grand Master

Not for the caller.

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    She says she didn't get a call from a guy who sounds like Eric Holder. Did you get a wrong number Rick?

Boolit Grand Master

And with the end mill youll want a cutter grinder to save money sharpening your used mills and a surface grinder to get trully accurate surfaces, and an id / od grinder, And oh yea the tooling for each one.

Boolit Grand Master
    You trying to get me killed?

Boolit Grand Master

She says she didn't get a call from a guy who sounds like Eric Holder. Did you get a wrong number Rick?
    No, no wrong number. I just decided to give ya a break and let ya live. Besides, you have another 20 grand to spend on tooling before ya can worry about a mill and then the tooling for that.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I would have that mill and tooling sooner if you would tell your uncle to get out of my pockets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast